Experienced Lancista Flaminiasupersport's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Appia Berlina "carb upgrade"?

I have several Appia Inlet manifolds and wondered if it would be a good idea to swap the standard berlina S3 carb for a Weber 36DCD (as used on the coachbuilt Appia's).

I cannot use the inlet manifold with 4 holes for obvious reasons (the Berlina head has 2 inlet ports only) but the one with 2 holes will fit.

What's the gain I could obtain by only changing the carburettor?

Is there a document where I could trace the head numbers, engine numbers etc for the Appia? All my books mention the engine nrs but never the head numbers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Appia Berlina "carb upgrade"?

i'm not sure if swapping the carb will do much good without the benefit of the 4 port head. lancia tended to engineer things to work together very well, so the original carb is probably sized correctly for the berlina motor.
    i'm sure if you could get a copy of the spare parts book for appia you could check the part numbers of the heads. or, maybe don cross or someone else from the appia consortium may have the info you want.
    i think the head you're looking for is becoming quite rare, and as such demands a premium price, but you never know, maybe you'll get lucky and find one.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

I totally agree with you. But I'd like to know more about all the different Appia heads and I cannot find decent information. I have all the classic Lancia books by Weernink, Trow etc but I never saw any info on Appia heads numerotations and the corresponding inlet manifolds.

AFAIK there are 3 types of inlet manifolds;

- one for the single carb (Solex) for a head with 2 inlet ports
    - one for a double Weber (36 DCD) also for a head with 2 inlet ports
    - one for a double Weber (36 DCD) but for a head with 4 inlet ports

I bought an Appia engine which had a 4 inlet ports head for my Convertible a few years ago.
    Is this 4 inlet port head correct for the Convertible (latest 2+2 model). When I bought the convertible it's engine was fitted with a Weber 36 DCD so it looked correct to me but later on I saw the engine nr was C10 something which is wrong for a Convertible!

I would also like to know the different pistons.
    I've seen "flat" pistons and other ones with engravings to avoid the valves to hit them.
    So there must be a lot of different camshafts as well...

In fact I'm looking for a Lancia Appia Bible! I have a very good book by Nada about the Fulvia, Flavia and Flaminia. It mentions all the head nrs, engine nrs, gearbox nrs.. Very easy to see through the mist!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lancia Appia Vignale FdB (61).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	12772

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161030_180100_resized (002).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	568.4 KB 
ID:	12771

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is the "Lancia Ardea e Appia" book also by Nada, from 1991; ISBN 89-7911-058-6. Probably not too easy to find. There are about 6 pages of technical descriptions of the different Appia models/versions, but I'm not sure you'll find your different head information there. But its a start, listing the following:

s.1 - 38hp for the s.1 with Solex 32/30 BI carb.

s.2 - 43.5hp with Solex C32PBIC, and a 53hp with Weber DCLD 3

s.3 - 48hp with same Solex as s.2, and a 60hp with Weber 36DCD5, double barrel.

There is also the 33hp Furgoncino, with Solex 30BI for C80,C83 and C86 chassis from 1954-59.

Downloads
    Uploads

if you find that "bible" i'd be interested in it as well. everything i've read indicates the 4 port head is correct for the chassis model appia. that was the highest horsepower iteration of the appia motor supplied from the factory.
    i'd speculate the 2 port manifold with the weber carb may have been for either the later berlina, or the trucks/vans. some of those also had a 5 speed transmission.
    again, someone from the appia consortium may be able to shed some light.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

geoff, you must have posted as i was writing. thanks for your input and clarification on this.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll look out for that book, thanks!

Strange how little is known about the Appia.
    I've had a lot of Lancia's and in the end it's this little berlina which has the highest "Lancia je-ne sais-quoi touch".
    It's fun to work on, it's loaded with beautiful details and above all it has that invisible "Lancia quality" only visible for true Lancisti!
    To me the Appia Berlina's all rank as one of the all time great Lancia's, because so much is achieved with so little thanks to brilliant engineering.

Thread Information