Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Swap

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Engine Swap

You won't get much love for a swap here - Gold would be if your neighbor had a wrecked Delta Integrale laying around.

But since that isn't probably the case - I will leave this here

http://www.lsxmag.com/news/everythin...-your-ls-swap/

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=2416 must apologise, I did mean the delta / thema style 16v head to adapt to 8v bottom end given that they lean over in the engine bay, some info here
    http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=1199

will come back with more later.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you decide you don’t want that Twin cam anymore. I would take it off your hands.. I do suggest reading the latest guy Croft manual before giving up on the Lampredi.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

More power with no oil leaks is simple
    A 2 liter engine with increased compression, cams, header and FI, with a slightly larger airflow meter will develop 145hp and still pass CA smog.
    You will have to go to a referee station in order to get it smog tested. There are several running around.
    The way to eliminate oil leaks is to throw away all the buna rubber oil seals and put in Viton seals, including the valve seals. Buna rubber is rated at 80 degrees C. That is not even coolant or oil temperature ! Dont waste your time installing buna seals, the Viton seals last for more than 10 years.
    Any Fiat / Lancia engine with a turbo uses Viton seals. They are easy to get.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not familiar with these terms, buna and viton. Are there brand names associated with these, or how would we know what we're getting or what to look for?

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LanciaDave View Post
    I'm not familiar with these terms, buna and viton. Are there brand names associated with these, or how would we know what we're getting or what to look for?

Dave
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrile_rubber
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FKM
    1974 Fiat X1/9
    1981 Lancia Zagato

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Engine Swap and high temperature oil seals

Buna rubber is rated to 80 degrees C, if you look closely at the seals there usually is a molded in temperature rating. The numbers are small so its best to use a magnifing glass or a microscope. Really cheap seals do not have any markings. Viton is a flouroelastomer and it is rated at 120 to 140 degrees C depending on the exact flouroelastomer. Dont waste your time installing cheap buna rubber seals. As I mentioned in my previous post, all FIAT and Lancias with turbos come with high temperature seals from the factory. The high temp (Viton) seals are more expensive, but they remain flexible and continue to seal for years.

From Wikipedia:
    Viton is a brand of FKM, a synthetic rubber and fluoropolymer elastomer commonly used in O-rings, chemical-resistant gloves, and other molded or extruded goods. The name is a registered trademark of The Chemours Company.
    Viton fluoroelastomers are categorized under the ASTM D1418 and ISO 1629 designation of FKM. This class of elastomers is a family comprising copolymers of hexafluoropropylene (HFP) and vinylidene fluoride (VDF or VF2), terpolymers of tetrafluoroethylene (TFE), vinylidene fluoride (VDF) and hexafluoropropylene (HFP) as well as perfluoromethylvinylether (PMVE) containing specialties. The fluorine content of the most common Viton grades varies between 66 and 70%.
    While Viton can be sometimes distinguished from other types of rubber by its often green or brown colour, a more reliable test is its density of over 1,800 kg/m3,[1] significantly higher than most types of rubber[2][3] (1,010-1,520 kg/m3).

Tom

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm thinking you need to study the beta design a bit to understand that an engine swap isn't a great idea, lancia engineers went to great lengths to make the beta drive the way it does and to fit the engine under a relatively low bonnet. The original engine is tilted backwards part of extensive re-engineering of the fiat motor by lancia, this lowers the engine height and also pushed the centre of gravity lower and backwards. Fitting another engine is likely to spoil this fine balance that they achieved, the beta is such a fun handling car. The twin cam in the beta is a very neat and elegant piece of engineering, given care with your approach a strip and rebuild it would not be too bad a job. More recent twin cams have reversed head flow and aren't tilted back a challenge that personally I think isn't worth the effort to try to fit. As regards more modern 16v personally I think the 8v TC is much better maybe slightly down on power but the 8v is so much less tetchy and is solidly reliable. Timing belt failure issues on the 16v engines are a pain, had it myself on a Delta, I also suspect these later engines aren't so nicely made as the early TC, the beta engines are as tough as old boots!

Thread Information