Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up my dual Weber DCNF carbs:

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Setting up my dual Weber DCNF carbs:

So, I've got them on the car and I'm fiddling with them as time allows. I'm not unfamiliar with their workings, but it's still a process... These 40 DCNF carbs came off of a 1.8 Beta Coupe, and came on an Alquati manifold. I've got 32mm chokes, an Auxiliary venturi stamped 45, an Air Corrector jet stamped 200, an Emulsion tube stamped F25, and I can't remember the size of the Main jet (I'm at work). It's driveable, but sputters and spits more than it should.

I've done some searching on what others have had success with regarding the proper guts for their 1.8 motors, and was surprised to not find much. Could be me... I've also got a set of Alquati 40/80 cams in it.

Its my understanding that each motor varies, but info on what's worked for others is of interest. Much Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Setting up my dual Weber DCNF carbs:

Quote Originally Posted by Chad C. View Post
    ... These 40 DCNF carbs came off of a 1.8 Beta Coupe, and came on an Alquati manifold. ... I've also got a set of Alquati 40/80 cams in it.
    All of which can mean only one thing: FAZA

Good luck with it
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm trying to help Chad here dear forum members so don't climb down my collar if these specs
    are incorrect. Okay? I think, I THINK D.J. posted this years ago for dual DCNFs, Alquati manny,
    1.8 ltr. Choke: 32 mm, air correct: 0.200, main jet: 0.125, idle jet: 0.065, accel pump jet:
    0.045, emulsion tube: F22. My Scorp has been a garage queen for eons. I have no ideas what
    its DCNFs contain. Pierce manifold may still have Weber parts. I have no idea. Hope this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davidb View Post
    I'm trying to help Chad here dear forum members so don't climb down my collar if these specs
    are incorrect. Okay? I think, I THINK D.J. posted this years ago for dual DCNFs, Alquati manny,
    1.8 ltr. Choke: 32 mm, air correct: 0.200, main jet: 0.125, idle jet: 0.065, accel pump jet:
    0.045, emulsion tube: F22. My Scorp has been a garage queen for eons. I have no ideas what
    its DCNFs contain. Pierce manifold may still have Weber parts. I have no idea. Hope this helps.
    I was finally able to dig up an old post from years ago in response to another user's questions. Hope it's helpful

-----------------------------

These specs were recommended by Chad at Monte Hospital and is for a Monte with 2 liter.

Choke: 33 mm
    Air Corrector: 0.200
    Main Jet: 0.125
    Idle Jet: 0.065
    Accelerator Pump Jet: 0.045
    Emulsion Tube: F22

Most common knowledge I've been able to dig up AND my experience has been that your chokes really should at 32 MM for a 40 DCNF, especially on an 1800. With anything larger you may gain a little way up on the top end but you lose a lot of torque. This is the first thing that I would change. It sounds like a small difference but this can make a big difference in torque and drivability.

I'd also say that your main jets are a bit small. I'd stick a set of 0.125s in as a starting point just like the Alquati specs call for.

The F22 emulsion tubes should be fine. Some sources claim that F24s are more appropriate but Alquati specifies F22s and you WON'T see much difference at all between them. In fact, it's so subtle that you may not be able to discern it at all.

I'd stay with the 0.060 idle jets until you get it set up and running. It should run fine with those. After you get it running, if you don't like the enrichment at idle you can adjust it from there. One thing that is critical about the idle jets is the difference in size between them and the main jets. If you get a flat spot around 2500 rpm, you need to get the sizes of the jets a bit closer together. This is the point where the carb transitions from the idle jets to the mains and if the difference in sizes is too great, you'll get a stumble. You can tweak this out with smaller mains or larger idles. With 0.125 mains, I'd adjust the idles first.

-------------------------
    DJ Richards
    eBay ID: classic-ricambi
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Much thanks to you both for taking the time to help! Pierce Manifolds is a major supplier of Weber parts, and I'll be in touch with them soon. My car is at least running well enough to demonstrate its increased power gained from carbs & cams, and it sound fantastic!

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

sigh, I miss living in Oregon you lucky dog -- good luck

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkB9d00ucI

It is pretty nice up here in addition to the lack of California smog laws. There are no emissions standards within the county I live in. This is my 3rd Italian car with a dual Weber set-up, having had a Fiat 124 Spider with Dual IDFs, an Alfa Spider with DCOEs, and now the Scorpion with DCNFs. With the carbs right behind my head, this one is the loudest of the three.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chad C. View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkB9d00ucI

It is pretty nice up here in addition to the lack of California smog laws. There are no emissions standards within the county I live in. This is my 3rd Italian car with a dual Weber set-up, having had a Fiat 124 Spider with Dual IDFs, an Alfa Spider with DCOEs, and now the Scorpion with DCNFs. With the carbs right behind my head, this one is the loudest of the three.
    Chad, if you have access to any more dual carb setups that might fit on a Scorpion please let me know, I'm looking. For track use so no emissions equipment necessary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar88 View Post
    Chad, if you have access to any more dual carb setups that might fit on a Scorpion please let me know, I'm looking. For track use so no emissions equipment necessary.
    Spend your money on HC pistons first. If you haven't done that, dual carbs won't do much of anything for you. Except for noise.
    DJ Richards
    eBay ID: classic-ricambi
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im with DJ on that. Though there is a noticeable difference in performance with the carbs, higher compression pistons will multiply the the benefits of everything done in addition to them and add quite a bit all by themselves.

I found my my intake & carbs by expanding a photo of a Beta motor for sale on craigslist & spotting them. The seller was cool enough to remove them & ship them to me & only charged me $400 for the carbs & intake! All were in good usable shape & not even filthy.

While on the phone with Midwest Bayless ordering unrelated parts, they mentioned that they'd just received a set of Alquati 40/80 cams made specifically for the Beta that they'd just had spec'd & checked. Again, $400 was the magic number. I'm not far from working class & had to swallow hard before snatching them up.

I'm looking forward to a two liter block with aftermarket higher compression pistons as my next performance purchase. As mentioned, the bump in compression will increase the contribution that the cams & carbs are able to make. I'm hoping that some considerable head work and the cams carbs compression trifecta will yield 150HP.

An an interesting offering exists on the Portland Oregon Craigslist right now:

"New/NOS, high-performance fuel-injection intake imported from Europe (Lancia Delta HF Turbo) which includes manifold, fuel injectors, rail, throttle position sensor, throttle body, etc. Perfect for a high-output megasquirt or turbo-charged build, BUT will collide with the stock brake-booster & master cylinder, so not for the novice hot-rodder. asking $400, may also fit your Lancia Betas, Scorpions, and anything else using the 8V Lampredi TC engine"

find the the ad here:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/p...334309707.html
    Last edited by Chad C.; 7th October 2017 at 12:27 AM.

Thread Information