Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huib's replacement brake cylinders

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Huib's replacement brake cylinders

Hi there – I’m interested in purchasing a set of Huib’s replacement brake cylinders for my Series 1 Fulvia (1967): http://viva-lancia.com/specials/dunl...ecilinders.htm

The piston seals on my rear brakes have failed, and I thought this would be a good time for an upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with these units? I’m a careful novice – could I install these without too much difficulty?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Huib's replacement brake cylinders

Quote Originally Posted by Hamiltonian View Post
    Hi there – I’m interested in purchasing a set of Huib’s replacement brake cylinders for my Series 1 Fulvia (1967): http://viva-lancia.com/specials/dunl...ecilinders.htm

The piston seals on my rear brakes have failed, and I thought this would be a good time for an upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with these units? I’m a careful novice – could I install these without too much difficulty?

Thanks
    I bougth my front cyinders from BG Development, good communication and good service:

http://www.bgdevelopments.co.uk/prod...der-assemblies

Be prepared to find that Your rear brake cylinders have corrosion inside the cylinder wall. New seals wont do much, you need to reline them. I used this firm for my rear brake cylinders, splendid communication and service here also:

http://www.ward-engineering.co.uk/calipers.htm

Cheers

Tor

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Racer View Post
    I bougth my front cyinders from BG Development, good communication and good service:

http://www.bgdevelopments.co.uk/prod...der-assemblies

Be prepared to find that Your rear brake cylinders have corrosion inside the cylinder wall. New seals wont do much, you need to reline them. I used this firm for my rear brake cylinders, splendid communication and service here also:

http://www.ward-engineering.co.uk/calipers.htm

Cheers

Tor
    Thank you for the info. I agree that the problem is likely more extensive than the seals, which is why i am interested in full replacements. I was mainly wondering how difficult it is to install new Dunlop cylinders.

Downloads
    Uploads

The actual fitting of new cylinders is not too difficult its a matter of removing the 4 bolts that hold each assembly on. The pipes etc that go with each one will have to be taken off and can be easy to ruin as they are likely to be rusted into the cast iron. So they will likely to have to be replaced. The bolts which hold the assembly on can be tricky. On my series 1 they were not a metric size as expected and very rusted into the mounting.(They are imperial UNF on my car) If your seals are failing to rust its likely these bolts will not be easy. I had to very carefully get them out without snapping them off. There are some good racing replacement cylinders made from stainless and some made from aluminium look for Jaguar parts manufacturers on the net. The exact size for the rear of the fulvia are a one off I think but Dunlop made various sizes for Jaguar, Ferrari, Iso, Jensen, Facel Vega etc (so they are not cheap)
    I can vouch for BG developments too for seals and lots of help
    Im sure Huibs ones will be excellent.

Marnix has put some great info up in the downloads section.
    series 1 1200 fulvia coupe rolling restoration
    series 1 1300 fulvia coupe rallye definitely in bits

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Huib's are indeed excellent. I have them for 4 years now on my rally S. He installed them, did the relining too. No problems what so ever. Breaking power is very good. I don't use a servo. Gives me more "feel".

Jaap

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grigio View Post
    Huib's are indeed excellent. I have them for 4 years now on my rally S. He installed them, did the relining too. No problems what so ever. Breaking power is very good. I don't use a servo. Gives me more "feel".

Jaap

Thank you both for this information. As far as replacement brake lines -- are these fairly standard or do I need something Lancia specific? (And I guess I will need a brake line bender as well.)

Downloads
    Uploads

In the download section I posted somewhere an overview of the Dunlop brake parts. It may be helpfull.

The stainless cylinders are fine for the front, but for the Fulvia they don't have the very small sizes (like the 21) in stainless. Huib's alumnium cylinders go that small (actually, his rear are not 21 but 20). I have them on my Fulvia, no trouble whatsoever.

Original brake lines were steel, and yes, they rust. You can replace them with modern copper/nickel lines. There is an awkward sharp bend in them that you can't get bended in that small radius with standard bending tools.

The S1 bolts holding the calipers are actually M12 bolts, but with UNF threading. (The Fulvia is metric, and the Dunlop brakes are imperial, so they made some kind of bolts that convert from metric to imperial). The bolts are very hard to find.

Be aware that between the caliper and its mounting there are shim washers. Take care to find exactly what was were, or you will have to redo alignation measurements yourself aftewards. The shim washers can be found from Dunlop spare parts (look for anglo-saxon dealers like for Jaguar)
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Marnix - thank you! I will keep everyone updated on my progress. I believe Huib may be on vacation, as I've not heard back from him yet about ordering the replacements.

Downloads
    Uploads

Huib isn't on holiday as far as I am aware. But be aware that in the classic car world, nothing is in a hurry. Huib got a lot of different smaller and bigger problems to solve, and you got to be a bit patient with him. You are probably item number 121 or so (I am just inventing a number) on his list of "to do" things. If he doesn't reply within some time, send a reminder.

Huib can arrange the sharp bending of the brake lines required (I think he actually bends them manually, or maybe he got special tools).
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used the alloy cylinder kits from BG Developments and find them excellent.

The pads with a proper steel backplate are much better than the Dunlop originals and BG have a range of materials to choose from.

Fitting them into 13 inch wheels is a very delicate task as the bigger aluminium cylinders leave very little space for the pipes.

You have been warned!!

Thread Information