Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Huib's replacement brake cylinders

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Huib's replacement brake cylinders

Hi everyone - I finally have some time to work on my Fulvia's (series 1) brakes. I'm installing a set of Huib's replacement cylinders, and I was wondering if anyone here had pictures of Huib's cylinders and pads installed on their car. I'm a novice, so pictures would help tremendously.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have them on my 1,3 Coupe, but I have no pictures laying around If you are patient, I need to work some on the underside of my car soon, and I could take some pictures then.

But it is actually quite straightforward I think if we are talking a standard Fulvia with 14" rims (no experience with the Fanalone's 13" as far as this is concerned). I had no problem assembling it all, as it is basically just the same as with the Dunlop originals. I am not entirely sure about the original brake pipes fitting, as I had replacement brake pipes from Huib as well when I fitted the calipers (not because the originals wouldn't fit - I just don't know about that - but because the original pipes where in a very bad shape).

If in doubt, don't hesitate to contact Huib... he is a busy man, so it may take a little while, but he is very helpful. He most likely has some pictures anyway.

The drawings in the parts book are also useful. If you don't have the parts book, they are replicated in a text about Dunlop brakes I downloaded some time ago.

If you have a particular problem with the assembly, give a call here and we may be able to reply.

Just one thing that is often overlooked: when mounting the assembled calipers on the car, there are shim washers between the mounting lugs of the caliper and the car fittings. The idea is to align the caliper perfectly with the disks on the wheels.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Marnix. If you get a chance to take a few pics, that would be wonderful. No real rush. I've asked Huib as well, but as you say, he's very busy.

I'm going to reveal my ignorance now, but on my Series 1 with Dunlop brakes, it doesn't appear that I need to remove the calipers (at least on the rear brakes that I am working on now) to remove the brake pads, install new ones, and install Huib's cylinders. So I was going to leave the calipers alone. Am I wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads

If memory serves, you got it right. It should be possible to remove the cylinders, pads, pipes, (and stopping plate) without removing the calipers themselves... if everything is not rusted solid. And get the new stuff in place. I have some doubts about the rear caliper: there is an heat shield that blocks access to the inside cylinders if I recall correctly, and that one is maybe difficult to get off, as it is fixed at one side with one of those big suspension spring bolts. I was simply assuming the calipers were already off. It won't be easy working in the sometimes confined space, but I can see the advantage, yes.

Anyway, ask away. I will see about those pictures, but that may still be a couple of weeks away.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I appreciate your offer! I have contacted Huib, and will let you know if I get pics from him first, so I don't waste your time.

My main issue currently is that the new yellow stuff EBC pads don't quite fit into the calipers [a little too wide to slide right in] and I don't know how much to "force the issue." Also, the EBC pads have these two prongs. Do I bend these in some manner? Or do they just stick out, pointing towards the rear?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pads.jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The prongs are there to remove the pads when worn out; you may need something strong to get get them out, as you will (may) have to push back the pistons to do so, and then again, they sometimes are "stuck" so you need some force to pull them out. It is the same idea as the "lug" on the old ones, but the prongs are stronger. Just leave them prongs sticking out, yes.

I noticed too that some EBC pads seems to be a tiny bit too wide. I suggest: 1. first clean out the opening in the calipers to be completely clean so that there is not trace of dirt (or worse, rust) left 2. use a tiny bit of copper paste on the sides of the pads (just a film) and the sides of the caliper openings; be sparingly, overflow of copper paste between the pad and the disk is obviously not a good idea. 3. most of all, use a file to adjust the sides of the EBC pads till they just fit (don't overdo it, you just want them to "slide" in the calipers, not fit too loose). Well, you need to change 2 and 3 around I guess

Huib told me that there seems to be bad batches of EBC pads around It is not clear if these are counterfeit or that the quality of EBC has dropped. They appear to be "spongy" when breaking. Apparently you only can find out when fitted and driving the car...

I have the "green" ones. They are quite expensive, but they are gentle on the disks, and the disks don't wear out as fast with those. While the green pads are expensive, the disks are even more and it is a lot of work to fit new ones. Anyway, you got the yellow ones already, so stick to those I would say.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Marnix - thanks very much for the guidance! That's very helpful. I'll give the yellow pads a try. I have a feeling that the pads are going to be the least of my troubles with the brakes!

Downloads
    Uploads

There is no reason to overly worry: the brakes are actually quick simple and straightforward. If carefully assembled, they work great. Just avoid to do a "quick job" on them.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Once again, I must reveal my ignorance. When I offer up the cylinders to the caliper, the metal pins from the cylinders do not seem to go "into" anything. What is their function?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	13622

Downloads
    Uploads

No need to feel "ignorant". Many of us started off as absolute beginners on the Fulvia.

OK, as memory serves (hope I remember it right): the pins are "stop" pins, to stop the pads from sliding too far in the calipers. There should be "stop" plates in the calipers originally. You got to remove these, and the "stop" pins will do the same function. If I recall correctly, the slightly different form of the cylinders makes that the original "stop" plates won't work with these cylinders (but I am not entirely sure anymore about this).

So the pins don't go into anything, they stand on themselves to prevent the pads going in too deep.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information