Thread: Power Steering Rack - Source

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Power Steering Rack - Source

Anyone know where I can purchase a rebuilt power steering rack or someone who rebuilds them? Thanks

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Power Steering Rack - Source

D.J. has posted several times that a "period" Audi 5000 Z.F. rebuilt kit will work. Removing & replacing
    the rack is a nightmare. The rack rebuild requires hospital-like operating room cleanliness. Good luck!

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need to verify if the leak is from the rack or just the dust boot. When running and parked I don't see any leaks on the ground but that doesn't mean it isn't leaking. I saw some smoke from the manifold and a torn boot so I need to do more diagnosis. Any input on what else to look for?

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you actually losing any PS fluid? If so, and the boot is torn and dripping, then you've probably got a bad seal in there, as things should normally be dry inside the boot. Anyplace that can rebuild ZF racks should be able to handle the job; as I recall, there were some hazy memories over which Audi seal kit would suffice -- early 5000 (up to '83), late 5000 ('84-on), or 4000 (any year?) -- but maybe that ballpark will suffice to get the rebuild shop on the right track.

I can't fathom what else the boot might be dripping unless maybe coolant from the heater or overflow bottle hoses somehow leaked onto it? At any rate, if it's dripping PS fluid onto the exhaust, that can turn into an underhood fire, so pretty urgent to get it sorted.
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately this is bad news. Leaking power steering onto exhaust can indeed cause fire, and has more than once. If its leaking, the seal is bad, not just the boot. Often the seal can be bad because the shaft became pitted. If that is not the case, you can just get a rebuild kit and new boots. You used to be able to send it to ZF for a rebuild with new seals, lastly for about $500, but they no longer provide this for Beta racks. The shafts themselves are NLA. Certain Audi kits can source you most of the seals needed but the whole kit itself is not an exact match, so don't expect it to be. The Beta rebuild kit is again available from BetaBoyz. I order this and have my neighbor rebuild them. He used to run his own transmission shop before expanding to general auto repair. If you can't find a shop near you to rebuild, let me know and I'll ask him about it. It is a bear to get the rack out. You have to turn it and the wheels just right in order to pull it out the end. Also Make Sure to reinstall all heat shields when replacing. The serviceable life of these components depends on them.

Thread Information