Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fulvia Rallye 1.3S "special edition" ? Anyone know of such ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Fulvia Rallye 1.3S "special edition" ? Anyone know of such ?

I have an S2 with 14" magnesium Cormadoras. I assume the S1 and S2 wheel wells are different because I have never had any rubbing issues. I never never ridden on the steelies so I cannot compare, but I like what I have.

As for going over to drive in Italy, I say go for it!!! I love driving in the hills of Tuscany, Umbria, and Abruzzi. Every time I go over ever since I bought my Fulvia 5.5 years ago, I wish I had the Little Brown One with me, ad that's even with having Alfa and Mercedes rentals. For rentals, I have only had my own US DL. I you don't have the title transferred to you until you are done driving over there, i would think the current owners registration and insurance would cover you if he is willing.

We would you meet the owner, and where would you travel. If it is anywhere I have been, I can suggest some fun rides.

Best,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Professorgearhead View Post
    I hasten to add that I did not take my own advice to you to pick up your car in Italy when I recently bought my car. I had mine stuffed in its own container and shipped to me here on the west coast of Canada. I would, however, have picked it up in person, driven Sophia Loren around a bit, and then shipped it home had that been feasible.
    Just like in the movie !

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cpwill View Post
    I have an S2 with 14" magnesium Cormadoras. I assume the S1 and S2 wheel wells are different because I have never had any rubbing issues. I never never ridden on the steelies so I cannot compare, but I like what I have.

As for going over to drive in Italy, I say go for it!!! I love driving in the hills of Tuscany, Umbria, and Abruzzi. Every time I go over ever since I bought my Fulvia 5.5 years ago, I wish I had the Little Brown One with me, ad that's even with having Alfa and Mercedes rentals. For rentals, I have only had my own US DL. I you don't have the title transferred to you until you are done driving over there, i would think the current owners registration and insurance would cover you if he is willing.

We would you meet the owner, and where would you travel. If it is anywhere I have been, I can suggest some fun rides.

Best,
    Cp, thanx for the insight.

The car is located in Viterbo which seems to be north of Rome, about two hours (?). If I visit, Remini would be another city I need to visit to see a friend I made over another forum. That would be northeast to Viterbo. Have given thoughts to flying in Rome vs Milano and seems the latter is more practical choice (?).

Shipping would most likely be out of Liverno, north of Viterbo, along the west coast. I have inquired the shipping company regarding driving around and have not had positive reply and seems complicated and limited...

The current owner is a very nice older gentleman who seems very cooperative if I ask him. One of my reasons for pondering a visit is to pay a visit to this owner and thank him personally.

Thanx again for your sage advice.

w/ smiles
    Jimmy

Downloads
    Uploads

Update on wheels:
    The owner was kind enough to source and got 4 hubcaps for the current steel wheels. Not indicated used or new but most likely used (four for 240 euros). Now the wheels are complete.

Checking up on shipping agents. Cost is around 1500 euros by RORO from Liverno to Yokohama, Japan.

w/ smiles
    Jimmy

PS. The wheels should look like this Fulvia (taken from another ad last year).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13_1622239750.jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Update on wheels:
    The owner was kind enough to source and got 4 hubcaps for the current steel wheels. Not indicated used or new but most likely used (four for 240 euros). Now the wheels are complete.

Checking up on shipping agents. Cost is around 1500 euros by RORO from Liverno to Yokohama, Japan.

w/ smiles
    Jimmy

PS. The wheels should look like this Fulvia (taken from another ad last year).
    You not worried about salt on your new Fulvia using RORO??

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    You not worried about salt on your new Fulvia using RORO??
    This is not my first time with RORO. Couple years back, I bought this Alfa Romeo Sprint Speciale from Houston, Texas, shipped RORO and had zero issues.

You may have the image of cars tied on deck and exposed to elements as you fear but the cars are stacked neatly within ship, tied down, and not exposed as such. That is my understanding, at least.

w/ smiles
    Jimmy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

i think i'd prefer roro as well. a shipping container is a very high humidity environment, compared to the space below decks on those ships. i don't have experience with cars in containers directly, but have dealt with shipments of machinery that have high amounts of surface rust if not prepared properly.
    the bad part of roro is that most of the laborers don't have a clue how to handle older cars with carbs, chokes, clutches...
    not really sure how they're secured, be interested to know.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings:

Two important items for anyone renting or purchasing a car in Italy.

1. Italy is one of the obscure countries that require an Intl. license. You must have one to rent a vehicle. Full insurance highly recommended.
    2. If you buy a car in Italy, be aware that once the transfer of title takes place, the licence plates must be removed and returned to the authorities, i.e. unless you re-register the car in another European country, you cannot drive across the border, but must have it transported. If you buy in France, the new owner can use existing plates for 30 days, and short-term insurance is easy to obtain.

I offer this information from experience, having bought, driven, and shipped a Fulvia from France (via Belgium) to California last year.

Best of luck,
    Patrick

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickSF View Post
    Greetings:

Two important items for anyone renting or purchasing a car in Italy.

1. Italy is one of the obscure countries that require an Intl. license. You must have one to rent a vehicle. Full insurance highly recommended.
    2. If you buy a car in Italy, be aware that once the transfer of title takes place, the licence plates must be removed and returned to the authorities, i.e. unless you re-register the car in another European country, you cannot drive across the border, but must have it transported. If you buy in France, the new owner can use existing plates for 30 days, and short-term insurance is easy to obtain.

I offer this information from experience, having bought, driven, and shipped a Fulvia from France (via Belgium) to California last year.

Best of luck,
    Patrick
    Patrick, much obliged for your insights.

I am looking into this matter but sure sounds a bit complicated for Italy. I am sure the current owner would be accommodating regarding title transfer but that means I would be driving the car under his title and that may not asking too much on my side (?). Even if I did the transfer, that would entail re-registring but being a foreigner, that may be difficult to do without any resident to claim there. Also, there seems to be a time limitation for driving too (?).

So there, so far it seems a bit daunting and maybe simple rent a car may be the natural choice or even mass transits to move around. For sure two cities I have to cover would be Rimini and Viterbo.

As for flying in to Italy, any recommendations between Rome and Milan ?

w/ smiles
    Jimmy

Downloads
    Uploads

I recently bought a Lancia Aurelia from a well known Italian Dealer in Sassuolo with the agreement that I could drive the car home on Italian plates ( insured by Axa in France as my car - bill of sale and documents) and I agreed to DHL the plates and reg document back so they would de register. They took out their own insurance for the week I was going to need to get the car back (a nominal sum for them) and agreed to post back the cancelled registration document.
    It worked well I am sure most dealers are used to this but it is a mutual trust thing! bTW I on took2 1/2 days to get back to UK....

Thread Information