Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting my Fulvia After Six Months

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Starting my Fulvia After Six Months

Hi all - I was overseas and have returned after six months. I'm planning on starting (or trying to) my Lancia this weekend. I will first change the oil and check all the fluids.

I was planning on removing the spark plugs and spraying some fogging oil inside, before starting it up. I wanted to check if that was a good idea with a Fulvia, or if there was a special reason not to take this step.

Any other advice on starting the car would be appreciated. Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Starting my Fulvia After Six Months

Sounds like a reasonable plan; there's no reason not to pre-oil the cylinders.

The carb bowls will of course be bone dry. If you're on the standard mechanical fuel pump, you'll need to prime them manually or turn it over on the ignition several times before you'll get any flow. Even on an electric, you'll want to let it run a few seconds.

Otherwise, if the battery's changed, it should fire up.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

For my car using the choke helps a lot after not using it for a while. A couple of accelerator pumps, choke fully on, and starts right away. I had the car sitting at a friends garage for a month while replacing my house roof and without the choke it would not start.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you both!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Arde View Post
    For my car using the choke helps a lot after not using it for a while...t.
    Completely agree.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

I advice not to change the oil before starting. Just top it up. There's oil in the galleries and the bearings will receive it even after a long sleep. If you replace it now it will take few secconds more for oilpressure to build up and this might do worse than running it a few minutes with old oil. Changing cold oil will be less effective than hot oil anyway. Just prime the carbs, get the battery fully charged, open the choke fully and push the key!
    Cheers,
    William

Be carefull with pre oiling. if you overdo it you will faul a plug at the first start and it won't fire

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fulvia-hf View Post
    I advice not to change the oil before starting. Just top it up. There's oil in the galleries and the bearings will receive it even after a long sleep. If you replace it now it will take few secconds more for oilpressure to build up and this might do worse than running it a few minutes with old oil. Changing cold oil will be less effective than hot oil anyway. Just prime the carbs, get the battery fully charged, open the choke fully and push the key!
    Cheers,
    William

Be carefull with pre oiling. if you overdo it you will faul a plug at the first start and it won't fire
    Thank you for the great advice. I realized I don't have a filter on hand anyway, so this will save me the bother until next week. I'll be careful with the oil.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Sounds like a reasonable plan; there's no reason not to pre-oil the cylinders.

The carb bowls will of course be bone dry. If you're on the standard mechanical fuel pump, you'll need to prime them manually or turn it over on the ignition several times before you'll get any flow. Even on an electric, you'll want to let it run a few seconds.

Otherwise, if the battery's changed, it should fire up.
    I've done a search, but could not find any guidance on how to prime the carbs manually. (I believe I have a manual pump.) Can I squirt fuel into the clear plastic tube between the carburetors? The car is not starting, even with the choke, and I think I've not gotten fuel to the carbs despite turning it over several times.

Thanks for any guidance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hamiltonian View Post
    ...Can I squirt fuel into the clear plastic tube between the carburetors? .
    Yes. BTW, with any of this, it's good to have an extinguisher handy
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hamiltonian View Post
    I've done a search, but could not find any guidance on how to prime the carbs manually. (I believe I have a manual pump.) Can I squirt fuel into the clear plastic tube between the carburetors? The car is not starting, even with the choke, and I think I've not gotten fuel to the carbs despite turning it over several times.

Thanks for any guidance.
    That clear pipe is a fuel delivery pipe to the second carb. If there is not fuel you have a bigger problem with your fuel pump.

Thread Information