Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fulviasport S2 headlight surrounds

Downloads
    Uploads

Fulviasport S2 headlight surrounds

Hi everybody,

first of all greetings from Germany. I am new on lancisti.net and enjoy the huge amount of knowhow the members have. Six months ago I acquired a Fulvia Sport 1.3S S2 which i am in progress of getting familiar with.

The headlight surrounds of my car do not fit well. there is a gap of 12 mm between the grid and the tip of the surround. The question is, is it Zagato´s quality level or is it only my car? There are no signs of an accident at the front.

I have already started making a new one but am wondering if there is demand for these in the field and would it make sense to make a few more.

Hubert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HeadlightsurroundA.jpg   HeadlightsurroundB.jpg   HeadlightsurroundC.jpg  
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Fulviasport S2 headlight surrounds

Hubert,

Welcome.

It appears as the headlight surrounds on your car are not original.

They attach on the sides, not top and bottom. You should be able to see what the original series 2's look like from my attachment if I was sucessful. They are aluminum but not as bulky as the one's on your car. I may have an original set that for your car. Let me know if interested. The series 1's are bronze.

If you decide to fabricate them, let me know. Others would be interested.

Regards,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Akonaut View Post
    Hi everybody,

first of all greetings from Germany. I am new on lancisti.net and enjoy the huge amount of knowhow the members have. Six months ago I acquired a Fulvia Sport 1.3S S2 which i am in progress of getting familiar with.

The headlight surrounds of my car do not fit well. there is a gap of 12 mm between the grid and the tip of the surround. The question is, is it Zagato´s quality level or is it only my car? There are no signs of an accident at the front.

I have already started making a new one but am wondering if there is demand for these in the field and would it make sense to make a few more.

Hubert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170204_151814.jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hubert,

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, I think Greg has it exactly right; your surrounds appear to be hand-formed replacements. Zagato's build-quality was never great -- significantly lower than, say PininFarina, Vignale, or Touring -- Lancia's other usual carrozzerie, but that's not the problem here.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

those surrounds are quite interesting. do you think they were made to allow use of non standard headlights? it's hard to tell from the picture, but the lights don't look quite right.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    those surrounds are quite interesting. do you think they were made to allow use of non standard headlights? it's hard to tell from the picture, but the lights don't look quite right.
    The seller told me that they removed the black paint from the parts and polished them. When doing so they overdid the grinding on the right one which partially is as thin as paper. both surrounds are drawn parts, there are typical scratches from the deep drawing process but no hammer marks or something you would expect from a manually made piece.

Besides bad fit they look somewhat odd. The headlights have concave glasses is that the right version?

My remake prototype still needs some planishing and surface works, but unfortunately I copied some of the oddities of the original because I did not look closely enough. It fits much better, though. But I am not going to use it

BTW, Does anyone know how to insert pictures in full size, instead of thumbnails?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails headlight surround-E.jpg   headlight surround-F.jpg  
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP

Downloads
    Uploads

prototype looks very good hubert, i would expect you could make something far superior to what's currently on the car. will you put in the black painting in the centers?
    the new pictures you posted shows the headlights better, they seem more correct now. not sure though, if the fulvia had the convex, or concave. mine has the u.s. spec dual round. i did think though, that convex was proper.
    the picture posting on this site is a bit of a mystery to me. i'm just happy i can get something to show up at all
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the new surrounds! Looks much better.

The headlights are supposed to be convex if I am not mistaken. The series 1 had much lower profile headlights and the series 2 stuck out about 1/2 inch further. The surrounds are different for both series to accommodate for the different headlight dimensions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Those concave headlights are from Renault 12 or 16 and are wrong as they should be convex.....much rarer...

Downloads
    Uploads

There were two headlights among the few spares that came with the car, Cibie headlights in card boxes with a small Renault sticker on one of them. The convex ones suffer from slightly dull glasses, maybe that was the reason why they had been replaced by the concave ones.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headlightsurround-G.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	993.7 KB 
ID:	12195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headlightsurround-H.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	759.5 KB 
ID:	12196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headlightsurround-I.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	528.3 KB 
ID:	12197

Downloads
    Uploads

Cut the glass lens out and put it in a dishwasher. Cleans up a treat if not cracked.

Thread Information