Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Original equipment tyres for a MonteCarlo - is it Pirelli Cinturato 185/70VR13 CN

I have the Brooklands road test compilation book on the Scorpion/Montecarlo and I can tell you that the early reviews of all Euro-spec cars listed 185/70VR13 Pirelli CN36. They are the OEM fitment for those models. I'm away from the book now, but will check for U.S.-spec and later Euro spec when I get the chance.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Original equipment tyres for a MonteCarlo - is it Pirelli Cinturato 185/70VR13 CN

Finally got home and back to my books. The Car and Driver and Motor Trend tests from June and September 1976, respectively, indicate 165HR13 Pirelli CN36 on their tested Scorpions. Interestingly, in September 1976, Road and Track's tester was wearing 185/70HR13 Semperit Spider tires. I think it's fair to assume CN36 tires were factory original on all early Montes and Scorpions, just in slightly different sizes.

My first thought was, how would the larger tires affect performance testing? R&T had vastly inferior braking and acceleration figures compared to the other two cars on the Pirellis, despite their narrower sizing. Unfortunately, R&T was the only one back then to measure lateral acceleration, so we don't know how the Pirellis compare to R&T's figures there.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

resurrecting this thread... has anyone either tried these or this size?
    I scored some vintage 5 pentastars, and want to go slightly taller/wider than stock.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tnum=965HR4ST5

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

The P6 was introduced in the early 1980s, among the first cars it was fitted to was the first VW GTI and Saab 900 Turbo. At the time it was a pretty decent tire not as good as the Phoenix Stahflex though.

It is rather unlikely a 1976 production car came with P6s. CN36s were a hot tire through 1979 after that it was surpassed by a variety of newer designs.

The P7 was introduced in 1978 with the first production car to receive it being the Porsche 928.

Manufacturers always had several different tires of similar size on their cars due to delivery shortages etc. To out the door it has to have rubber on each corner

Downloads
    Uploads

The S1 Montecarlo / Scorpion was standard with 185/70-13, and the factory brochure appears to show CN36s.

The P6 was introduced in 1979, and one of the first cars it was fitted to was the Beta Coupé -- 195/65HR-14. I know because I immediately put a set on my '76, to replace the crap standard 185/70SR-14 CN67s. The S2 Montecarlo ran 186/65HR-14, and based on that size they must have been P6.

The P7 street tire was introduced in 1975.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

I hate to throw a wrench into this discussion but my brand new 1976 Scorpion came from the factory with 13-inch Pirelli P6s.

They obviously weren't very common back then because when I hit something on the road once and damaged a sidewall, it took forever for the dealer to get another one.
    DJ Richards
    eBay ID: classic-ricambi
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: Original equipment tyres for a MonteCarlo - is it Pirelli Cinturato 185/70VR13 CN

D.J. ... now that is weird ... P6s back then? Here's a question for the Forum: what is the max
    tire size (s), front & rear for 14" x 6" wheels? Aspect ratio & all that. I can't find squat in 13"
    tires anymore so time for new wheels. 14 inchers. Thanks gents . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davidb View Post
    D.J. ... now that is weird ... P6s back then? Here's a question for the Forum: what is the max
    tire size (s), front & rear for 14" x 6" wheels? Aspect ratio & all that. I can't find squat in 13"
    tires anymore so time for new wheels. 14 inchers. Thanks gents . . .
    Not really weird. Just a fact. Kinda typical for the times.

Everyone in the local sports car club was wanting some for their cars because every time it rained during one of our Solo 2 events I kicked everyone's ass because of traction. They were pretty sweet for the day.
    DJ Richards
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    The S1 Montecarlo / Scorpion was standard with 185/70-13,
    I seem to recall that base standard was 175s but I don't recall ever seeing a Scorpion or early Monte with them.
    DJ Richards
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Not really weird. Just a fact. Kinda typical for the times....
    The documentation I've seen says the P6 wasn't introduced that early. Clearly the documentation must be wrong; I wouldn't doubt your memory even we were speaking of a less-memorable tire than the 1st gen P6. But it's at least a little weird...
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Thread Information