Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LARGE oil leak!

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

LARGE oil leak!

Well, 300 or so trouble free miles this week in my s2 Fulvia, and today as I am heading up the hill to my house, my oil pressure starts to drop intermittently, and the low oil psi light starts to flicker. It stops after a second, only to come back on as I pull the car into the garage, and I am dripping a trail of oil, now a puddle on the floor of the garage. The underside of the car on the right side is pretty wet with oil, starting from behind the engine is seems, as a precursory look in the fading daylight shows a dry engine. My first thought was an oil pan gasket or some such, but the engine itself shows no such leak. Hoses look good, too. I'll give a better look in the morning, but any thoughts at first blush? Thanks

-Danny

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: LARGE oil leak!

The right side of the engine, toward the rear of the crankcase, is where you'll find the oil filter / filter mounting base. Could be filter / filter gasket, pressure relief valve, sender, base gasket, or something else. But that's where I'd be looking.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    The right side of the engine, toward the rear of the crankcase, is where you'll find the oil filter / filter mounting base. Could be filter / filter gasket, pressure relief valve, sender, base gasket, or something else. But that's where I'd be looking.
    That was another thought of mine, but the oil is all far below that, and farther back. Almost under the battery tray!

Downloads
    Uploads

could be the rear crankshaft seal ring? The oil escaping there would go to the clutch bellhouse... But sounds strange that it would make up such a big leak...
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DCAlbarran View Post
    That was another thought of mine, but the oil is all far below that, and farther back. Almost under the battery tray!
    It's still the most likely source for a leak of the magnitude you describe. I'd check the pressure relief valve; it screws into a tubular fitting that points in the general direction of the battery tray.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Oil filter come loose......? Pressure sender come loose? Have you been servicing anything that could be connected with oil. I once serviced a citroen just before selling and checked the oil etc forgetting to close the oil filler tube. A couple of laps round the block to prove my servicing and it had thrown all the oil out of the engine. Great for rust protecting the chassis but nearly ruined an engine....

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been looking for a leak for days once only to realise that the oil came from the front of the engine and not the back (where it was wet and full of oil). This was because of the wind that passed the enige while driving!

just my 2 cents that it could indeed be away from the wettest spot on the engine

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    Oil filter come loose......? Pressure sender come loose? Have you been servicing anything that could be connected with oil. I once serviced a citroen just before selling and checked the oil etc forgetting to close the oil filler tube. A couple of laps round the block to prove my servicing and it had thrown all the oil out of the engine. Great for rust protecting the chassis but nearly ruined an engine....
    I once changed the oil filter, not noticing that the rubber seal from the previous filter remained stuck to the base. Turns out if one gasket is good, two isn't necessarily better...
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't done any engine work. I have taken off the air box so far this morning to get a better look, and it is all dry in front of the bell housing, filter area included.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are we sure it is ENGINE oil? Could be a coincidence, engine oil low AND transmission oil leak. The transmission oil sometimes get inside the inner CV gear, where it is subsequently wiped around by it all over the place.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information