Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LARGE oil leak!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: LARGE oil leak!

sounds like a catastrophic failure of the rear crankshaft seal to lose that much oil so quickly....Never heard them go like that but I have led a sheltered life..... Gearbox out..... Clutch and flywheel off to replace...

If tranny oil how come the oil light came on - I assume the sump was nearly empty.... ???

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

See attached photos. I don't see any evidence of any kind of failure from the rear of the engine. I have noted that, maybe unrelated, but a lot of the oil that is coating the car has a sludgy consistency to it. Maybe its just soaked junk that was already on the undercarriage.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6015.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	784.8 KB 
ID:	11898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6014.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	839.3 KB 
ID:	11899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6013.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	700.0 KB 
ID:	11900

Downloads
    Uploads

what is the bottom of the bell housing like - dripping.... puddle on floor. The rear seal failure allows oil out into the bell housing and only way is for it to go is to fall out of the bottom...

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    what is the bottom of the bell housing like - dripping.... puddle on floor. The rear seal failure allows oil out into the bell housing and only way is for it to go is to fall out of the bottom...
    Pretty clean. Definitely looks like the failure coming from a hose or something on the right hand side, based on the splatter. Left side is dry as a bone. I'll be home later this afternoon to take some pictures and see what I can see. Figures, I bought another project Fulvia (S1, from the classifieds here) to pick up tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads

While I can't combine the low engine oil level with what I was saying (coincidence?), the inner CV gear looks like rather wet to me. Can be engine oil of course, or transmission oil getting into it. The oil being plashed all over the place is due to it being wirled around by the rotation of the inner CV joint no doubt... Makes locating the leak quite difficult. Maybe try to clean everything up, and see if you can find the location where the leak originates with all the oil around cleaned up..
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

I just noticed you have an oil cooler. Have you checked the lines for a hole or split? Without the protective plastic sleeves, the lines can abrade on the battery tray corner or other metal edges.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    I just noticed you have an oil cooler. Have you checked the lines for a hole or split? Without the protective plastic sleeves, the lines can abrade on the battery tray corner or other metal edges.
    Well, I spent about the last hour under her, and dammit I couldn't find any clues! My last resort was to fill the crankcase back up with oil, start the car, and sure enough, a steady stream was pissing out from the oil cooler return line! I would never have found it without some serious brainstorming here! I'm gonna change the line out and see where we're at...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DCAlbarran View Post
    Well, I spent about the last hour under her, and dammit I couldn't find any clues! My last resort was to fill the crankcase back up with oil, start the car, and sure enough, a steady stream was pissing out from the oil cooler return line! I would never have found it without some serious brainstorming here! I'm gonna change the line out and see where we're at...
    As soon as I saw that you were running a cooler, I knew that was the most likely answer. If you're very lucky the lines & fittings themselves are intact, and all you need is a crush washer at the banjo fitting.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    As soon as I saw that you were running a cooler, I knew that was the most likely answer. If you're very lucky the lines & fittings themselves are intact, and all you need is a crush washer at the banjo fitting.
    There was a split in the line itself, so I'm just gonna replace both lines.

Thread Information