Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: to buy S2 Montecarlo in the U.S.???

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: to buy S2 Montecarlo in the U.S.???

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    The US never got the S2 under any name.
    Hi Ed

Ahh, now I understand, thanks for clarifying that.

Peter

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is an early (1975) Montecarlo.

Carl
    Carl

1975 Montecarlo #370

Downloads
    Uploads

I still have mine and it is an S1 solid buttress, solid roof (non spyder version). Nicely painted silver and waiting for it's rebuilt high compression 2 liter to be installed.
    Best,
    Steve J
    76 Lancia Scorpion X2
    75 Lancia Montecarlo (in restoration)
    86 Lotus Turbo Esprit
    79 Matra Murena

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Too bad we're on opposite coasts! Would be great to have the two on the road together for a cars and coffee event! My S1 also has a high compression 2 litre. Took the stock 2 liter and added higher compression pistons plus a 1.8l head with fast road cam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monte low res.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	12085
    Carl

1975 Montecarlo #370

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by upnatum View Post
    Too bad we're on opposite coasts! Would be great to have the two on the road together for a cars and coffee event! My S1 also has a high compression 2 litre. Took the stock 2 liter and added higher compression pistons plus a 1.8l head with fast road cam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monte low res.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	12085
    Carl,

Now that's cool. Your's looks to be near the same color silver. Mine was repainted in something close but not the exact silver as original. Funny that we both went the way of putting a higher compression pistons in. This one has been balanced, blueprinted, lightened flywheel with 40/80 cams, flowed head. Looking to install a 32/36 Weber DGV. Do you have the cloth seats and door panels with the non reclining passengers seat and non retracting seatbelts?

There is some history of mine being in a rally in Mexico but not sure if it was a factory rally car or a privateer.

Steve
    76 Lancia Scorpion X2
    86 Lotus Turbo Esprit
    79 Matra Murena

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by stvdino View Post
    Carl,

Now that's cool. Your's looks to be near the same color silver. Mine was repainted in something close but not the exact silver as original. Funny that we both went the way of putting a higher compression pistons in. This one has been balanced, blueprinted, lightened flywheel with 40/80 cams, flowed head. Looking to install a 32/36 Weber DGV. Do you have the cloth seats and door panels with the non reclining passengers seat and non retracting seatbelts?

There is some history of mine being in a rally in Mexico but not sure if it was a factory rally car or a privateer.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Paint is believed to be original color but is a re-spray.

My engine story started with a head gasket that was leaking coolant into one cylinder when I got it and "egged" it out due to the coolant stripping oil off cylinder. The engine went to a guy who does mostly US Chevy based drag stuff but he took on this one as a favor. It was bored, has oversized high compression pistons from Vic's, performance Scorpion head from Bayless, new journals, water pump, belts, etc. etc. He did a fabulous job. I then added ANSA quad exhaust.

The car was imported from Torino area and has all Italian registration stamps up to export date. Yes, it has non-retracting seatbelts, drivers seat tilts back, passenger seat fixed, interior is original in blue vinyl as are seats and door panels. I don't believe the fabric ones you refer to are original. There are other differences that make car lighter than a Scorpion including euro bumpers, fixed healights - no lifting mechanism, no "tractor seat" under spare tire (was not needed as there is no catalytic converter - which generates a lot of heat), radio delete with insert, manual window cranks, etc. I fitted it with Maserati Bi-turbo wheels but have kept the original bow ties.

Carl

1975 Lancia Montecarlo
    1972 Saab 96 V4
    1979 TVR Taimar
    Carl

1975 Montecarlo #370

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by stvdino View Post
    In 1974 and 1975, Lancia ran a Gp 3 or Gp4 Beta Coupé in rally -- with limited success. But the Montecarlo never ran as a works rally car. So if it has rally history, it'd be as a privateer.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think you are mixing several cars which started from the same base, but are vastly different. The car in that vid is a Group 2 car. Only the center tub was Monte/Scorpion with tube front and rear with different suspension and the smaller engine with added turbo. They are more equivalent to an 037, which had similar beginnings and were rallied. Neither sold new here, but there are a couple now in collector hands. There were Scorpions sold new here which were essentially S1 Montecarlo with some changes. Although 76 and 77 and enough differences they could have been classed separately, they weren't considered such. Only about 1800 sold in US in 76 and 77 only. True Series 2 Montecarlos started after the production break and were sold Europe and elsewhere, I think '81 on?
    Glad to see you guys are having fun with your S1 Montecarlos.
    Unless of course somebody was looking for the Fulvia?

Downloads
    Uploads

The Beta Montecarlo Turbo in the videos was a Group 5 car that used the central steel monocoque from the street Montecarlo, but with tube subframes front & rear. Like the stradale MC, the engine was mounted transversely, but as LanciaDave notes the displacement was smaller and it was turbocharged. In any case, it was a ‘silhouette’ racer, so the similarities are limited to the central tub and the engine orientation. The BMT took the world endurance title in 1980 & 1981.

The 037 also used only the central monocoque structure of the MC; it, too, had subframes front & rear, but with the engine mounted longitudinally and supercharged, and therefore with a longer wheelbase than the MC. The 037 was originally homologated for Group 4, which automatically qualified it for Group B when the regulations changed in 1982. It was rallied very successfully, and took the 1983 WRC title.

But other than the central monocoque, neither of these competition cars has anything to do with the stradale Montecarlo, which the factory never raced or rallied.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.lanciabetamontecarlo.nl/messicana.html

Here is the story of this magnificent Lancia Montecarlo tour in Mexico:

"The idea came, early July 1975, from a Italian journalist who wanted to commemorate the 1953 Lancia victory in the Carrera Panamericana. The choice of cars was set on the new Lancia Beta HPE and Lancia Beta Montecarlo. The cars were taken straight of the production line and only did a few hundred kilometres before shipping. On 26 July 1975 the blue and the red Montecarlo spider and the yellow Beta HPE were flown from Milan by Alitalia to New York and from there with Aeromexico to Mexico City. The Lancia team consisted of journalists, a photographer and a mechanic from Lancia. The plan was to take the route of the 1953 race as a test for the new cars and a promotion for Lancia.

De 1953 race started in Tuxtla Gutiérrez, in the far south near the border with Guatemala. The transfer route from Mexico City to Tuxtla, 1367 km, was also very useful to get some kilometres on the new cars.

The same 8 stages as then would be driven and in modesty the team changed the name of this event in Carrera Messicana. The total of 3078 kilometres the three cars did in 5 days with a total driving time of 31 hrs 22 min at an average of 98,129 km/hr. They even never used the spare parts!

At least both the Montecarlos were then sold in the USA."

These three Lancias were sent as a promotion and not to rally even though they did go through all the stages. When I bought my car in California in the mid 90's it still had a trip/rally computer, spacers which raised the car another 3.5 inches and aftermarket heavy duty sway bars underneath which I have kept installed. The factory cars with the map of Mexico on the door were not set up with raised suspensions as you can see in the photos. My Montecarlo was run in Mexico at a later time than these cars in the 70's and in a competitive event which I believe could have been the same route as the Panamericana. Probably a privateer but I would like to have met the person who bought and shipped an almost new Montecarlo to Mexico to rally/race it and sold it on in Mexico after the event had ended. If anyone has any more information on entrants or Lancia vehicles used in Mexican rallies in the 70's I would really like to hear from them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Messicana2-web.jpg   Messicana1-web.jpg  
    76 Lancia Scorpion X2
    86 Lotus Turbo Esprit
    79 Matra Murena

Thread Information