Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions from a new Fulvia owner.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

A few questions from a new Fulvia owner.

Hi! I made an introduction thread (here: http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showth...San-Francisco) but figured I should be asking questions in the Fulvia forum, and not there.

I am currently going over the car, only having received it a few days ago, and have a few questions. I've gone over several threads in the forum, but didn't find conclusive answers to some of these. I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on.

1. What are the recommended jack points on the car? Ideally I would like to be able to jack each side individually, as well as the front and back individually, and use jackstands. I have a floor jack I'd like to use as well, instead of the scissor one that comes with the car. I know the rear jack point is under the axel, but what about the front and sides?

2. What type of gas should I be putting in the car? Should I be using an additive? When I bought the car, without thinking I put in 87 octane gas (about half a tank) from the local gas station since it was running quite low. I only realized after that the car needs higher octane fuel after reading the manual. Around these parts (San Francisco) the highest octane gas I can get regularly is 91. Because of that, should I be using an additive (either octane booster or lead additive)?

3. How do I get the valve cover off? There is oil leaking from the valve cover gasket on the front of the engine, and it's making quite a mess. I pulled all six of the bolts and spark plugs, and couldn't seem to get the valve cover off to either fix the gasket, or replace it with a new one. Do I just need to pull harder (or pry) or is there something I'm missing?

4. Any particular tips for an oil change and gearbox fluid change? I'm about to do both. Oil with a Mann filter and Castrol 10W-40, and unsure of the gearbox oil. Any recommendations?

5. What is the ballpark for tire pressures front and rear? The car has the stock tire size Michelin XM tires.

Thanks! Here's a few photos after a bath the other day.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: A few questions from a new Fulvia owner.

Car looks great.

1. do not use the jacking tabs at the front of the sills. With either floor jack or lift, I use the subframe boxes at the cowl.

2. premium; even with CA gas you won't need an additive.

3. the 6 knurled allen-head bolts are all that holds the valve cover; sounds like a careful application of force may be required.

4. Mann filter's fine. I prefer full synthetics in engine and gearbox (I run RedLine in both), but the Castrol 10W-40 will work fine, too. Someone else will have to chime in with the proper mineral gear oil.

5. factory pressure is 26psi; I tend to like it higher.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice car. Nice colour scheme.

Rocker cover is probably being held with gasket. Hide hammer. New gasket generally, And put in dry these days so it does not move around when tightening (you will see the problem when you get the cover off). Some tack the gasket in place with auto silicone and let that set off before putting the cover on. I used to do that but over time the oil/heat degrades the silicon so it becomes slippery and starts to move out/in under the pressure of the cover. Was caught out at last year Goodwood track day....

Should clarify Ed's oil. only 10-40 for the engine. Something like fully sythetic 80-90 for the gearbox, and 90 (or 140 if leaking) for the steering box. Gearbox has 2 drain plugs. Do both preferably after a hot run. I use Mobil 1 SCH 75-90

If using 91 you will need a good additive as the car ran originally on 4 star was 97.

Just a small point but your wiper blades need to be swapped round with the angled one on the drivers side.

How old are the tyres?

Good luck with your new toy!

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

You have likely seen this advice in other threads, but always use a piece of 2x4 wood to spread the load from the jack.

Downloads
    Uploads

USA uses a different octane rating system than Europe.
    EU 95 octane = US 91 octane and EU 98 octane = US 93 octane.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with no rtv or silicone. Hot mess. But you can use some Gasgacinch. Old school, like rubber cement. Amazon if you can't find it at the parts store. I use it on difficult to position gaskets. Works well on paper, rubber, cork.
    I am fortunate to have access to ethanol free 92. I don't know if you can get it in The City. Ethanol will cause problems with cars that aren't driven often.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's funny, my wipers are the same way. Original pics show the arms like lanicalulu says. Weird.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Car looks great.

1. do not use the jacking tabs at the front of the sills. With either floor jack or lift, I use the subframe boxes at the cowl.

2. premium; even with CA gas you won't need an additive.

3. the 6 knurled allen-head bolts are all that holds the valve cover; sounds like a careful application of force may be required.

4. Mann filter's fine. I prefer full synthetics in engine and gearbox (I run RedLine in both), but the Castrol 10W-40 will work fine, too. Someone else will have to chime in with the proper mineral gear oil.

5. factory pressure is 26psi; I tend to like it higher.
    Thanks Ed!

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    Nice car. Nice colour scheme.

Rocker cover is probably being held with gasket. Hide hammer. New gasket generally, And put in dry these days so it does not move around when tightening (you will see the problem when you get the cover off). Some tack the gasket in place with auto silicone and let that set off before putting the cover on. I used to do that but over time the oil/heat degrades the silicon so it becomes slippery and starts to move out/in under the pressure of the cover. Was caught out at last year Goodwood track day....

Should clarify Ed's oil. only 10-40 for the engine. Something like fully sythetic 80-90 for the gearbox, and 90 (or 140 if leaking) for the steering box. Gearbox has 2 drain plugs. Do both preferably after a hot run. I use Mobil 1 SCH 75-90

If using 91 you will need a good additive as the car ran originally on 4 star was 97.

Just a small point but your wiper blades need to be swapped round with the angled one on the drivers side.

How old are the tyres?

Good luck with your new toy!
    Thanks for the tips on the valve cover.

Yep, 10W-40 for the engine. I'll likely do synthetic for the gearbox. The gearbox gets filled from the top, correct? Unplug the two holes on the bottom, let it drain plug them up, and fill?

Interesting point about the wiper blades...I'll change them around!

Tires are all the same brand, but two are older than the other two. A pair is from 2016, and the other pair is from a while before that (I think). They all look to be in good shape with no cracking and nice wear.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamiltonian View Post
    You have likely seen this advice in other threads, but always use a piece of 2x4 wood to spread the load from the jack.
    Will do, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by xraygun View Post
    USA uses a different octane rating system than Europe.
    EU 95 octane = US 91 octane and EU 98 octane = US 93 octane.
    Right. So that means I should basically be good with 91 I take it.

Quote Originally Posted by xraygun View Post
    I agree with no rtv or silicone. Hot mess. But you can use some Gasgacinch. Old school, like rubber cement. Amazon if you can't find it at the parts store. I use it on difficult to position gaskets. Works well on paper, rubber, cork.
    I am fortunate to have access to ethanol free 92. I don't know if you can get it in The City. Ethanol will cause problems with cars that aren't driven often.
    Thanks! I'll look around for 92 ethanol free, but I don't think any exists here in the bay area.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Repeat question from the intro thread, but is this the one that has been on and off Craigslist for the last month or so in the Bay Area?

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep it is!

Quote Originally Posted by DCAlbarran View Post
    Repeat question from the intro thread, but is this the one that has been on and off Craigslist for the last month or so in the Bay Area?

Thread Information