Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions from a new Fulvia owner.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: A few questions from a new Fulvia owner.

An additional question. I can't seem to find the torque values for a couple of things:

Torque on nuts from Carb to metal/rubber plate
    Torque on nuts from metal/rubber plate to intake manifold

Any idea what these should be for an S2 Fulvia?

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think they specified torque values for those. But: there is a warning not to overtorque them, because that may "warp" the flat faces of the carbs, the interconnetion piece, and the manifold. The reason is the seals: if you overtorque the nuts, you compress the seals at those locations, bending the flat aluminium surfaces.

Just use common sense. The seals must be airtight, and that is all that is needed; it is not as if these are cylinder head bolts.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    I don't think they specified torque values for those. But: there is a warning not to overtorque them, because that may "warp" the flat faces of the carbs, the interconnetion piece, and the manifold. The reason is the seals: if you overtorque the nuts, you compress the seals at those locations, bending the flat aluminium surfaces.

Just use common sense. The seals must be airtight, and that is all that is needed; it is not as if these are cylinder head bolts.
    Thank you! I had guestimated about 20 fl-lbs, but perhaps that is too much!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post

Even if you don't bend the aluminum plate, over-compressing the rubber will defeat the purpose of having a flexible connection...
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, so I have the carbs back on the car, and the car started...yay!

I'm trying to adjust them to get the car running correctly. I have Omicron's guide to setting Fulvia Carbs and I have been going off of that.

One of the stages says that if you can see gasoline in the barrel at idle, then your float is likely not set correctly. When I have the car running at ~1k RPM, I can look down the barrels of each carb and see gas in there. I take it this is bad?

I didn't monkey with the floats when I took the carbs apart, but I suppose they could have been tweaked, or never correct since I've had the car. The idle mixture screws are having an effect when I turn them, and I thought that if there was gas in the barrel, they wouldn't do much, but of course, I could be wrong. I can't seem to get the engine running happily quite yet.

Two questions:

1. Does gasoline in the barrel indicate that the float level is not correct? Could it indicate anything else?
    2. How does someone like me (without access to a jig, etc) adjust the float level correctly?

Downloads
    Uploads

1. Does gasoline in the barrel indicate that the float level is not correct? Could it indicate anything else?
    With the engine running, there shouldn't be any. It is probable that the fuel is overflowing into the barrels, yes.

[QUOTE]2. How does someone like me (without access to a jig, etc) adjust the float level correctly?[QUOTE]

Take off the carb head. Check if the metal of the float has been bended. It should not. You can try measuring the fuel level from the top head of the carb body (with head and seal of, but the float in). Should be 19-20mm.
    More important: check wether there is a aluminium washer under the float valve (1mm, or maybe 0.5mm, depending on the carb type). The washer thickness is how the float level is normally set correctly. If it is only 0.5mm thick, try changing it for a 1mm thick washer.

There used to be a tool to check the float for being bend and that you can built yourself, but I would need to find back the drawing for it.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

top head should read top edge in my previuos message
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Marnix;68716]With the engine running, there shouldn't be any. It is probable that the fuel is overflowing into the barrels, yes.

[QUOTE]2. How does someone like me (without access to a jig, etc) adjust the float level correctly?

Take off the carb head. Check if the metal of the float has been bended. It should not. You can try measuring the fuel level from the top head of the carb body (with head and seal of, but the float in). Should be 19-20mm.
    More important: check wether there is a aluminium washer under the float valve (1mm, or maybe 0.5mm, depending on the carb type). The washer thickness is how the float level is normally set correctly. If it is only 0.5mm thick, try changing it for a 1mm thick washer.

There used to be a tool to check the float for being bend and that you can built yourself, but I would need to find back the drawing for it.
    Thank you, that helps a ton.

I don't remember seeing any aluminum spacer when I took the floats out. There is the shaft that the float rides on, but nothing other than that. I'm guessing that might be where my problem is... Does the spacer sit below the shaft to effectively "prop up" the float so that it sits higher? Is there a photo of one of these anywhere?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

The "spacer" (an aluminium crush washer) is between the head and the float VALVE (not under the float).
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Take also into account that float valves may get leaky after aging. Happens frequently. Replacing the float valve with a new one may solve the problem.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information