Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: scorpion #1147 found - resurrection thread

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

scorpion #1147 found - resurrection thread

fellow lancisti -

the short story... I'm an avid car guy, not new to Fiats, Alfas. I also own a Ducati Paso. I've known this car since the mid 80s, when I was in my teens, and I pined for it then. last year, it turns out it had been put away wet in storage in 1995 and has sat ever since. i struck a deal with the owner to resurrect another car he had in trade for the Scorpion, and the deal was completed last night.

this is how we found her

after pulling her out

I have no idea why she was sidelined. She's got 64k miles on the clock. The timing belt is intact. The interior is unbelievably good. The engine bay is unmolested. The body appears to be completely free of rust. The paint is original. After some cleanup, I'll post some better photos.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Re: scorpion #1147 found - resurrection thread

Quote Originally Posted by mikeroten View Post
    fellow lancisti -

the short story... I'm an avid car guy, not new to Fiats, Alfas. I also own a Ducati Paso. I've known this car since the mid 80s, when I was in my teens, and I pined for it then. last year, it turns out it had been put away wet in storage in 1995 and has sat ever since. i struck a deal with the owner to resurrect another car he had in trade for the Scorpion, and the deal was completed last night.

this is how we found her

after pulling her out

I have no idea why she was sidelined. She's got 64k miles on the clock. The timing belt is intact. The interior is unbelievably good. The engine bay is unmolested. The body appears to be completely free of rust. The paint is original. After some cleanup, I'll post some better photos.
    Your photo links aren't working.
    DJ Richards
    eBay ID: classic-ricambi
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks. fixed.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

so, did some light cleaning, gave her a bath today. now you know why I say I found a "good one"

now comes the slow mechanical resurrection process. I would claim that this car has zero rust. It's lived it's entire life in Northern California. We'll see what I find as I pull carpets and stuff to clean it out.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Holy moly man, you hit the jackpot. What car are you resurrecting in exchange for this? What are your plans with this one?

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

the car resurrected in exchange was, ahem, british. it's already been returned to the owner. I hate british cars. :-)

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mikeroten View Post
    the car resurrected in exchange was, ahem, british. it's already been returned to the owner. I hate british cars. :-)
    British cars have , at least, decent bumpers , not those more suitable to diesel trains ! ! !

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

if there's one thing I'm not crazy about on the scorpion, it's the USA spec bumpers. These remind me of the awful solution BMW used on the later 2002s. Diving boards, the call 'em. I am torn on whether or not I'd do a euro bumper swap on this car due to it's highly original state, but I do think they look MUCH better, and if done right, I can't imagine would devalue the car; especially if I save all the original bits.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Something you can do, that I'm going to try soon, is to drill the bumper shocks, thread the holes for stopper bolts, and then compress them an inch (or two), trim the accordion ends to suit and see how you like it. You do lose a fair bit of weight swapping them for the euro ones though...

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

F the US bumpers. Anyone who tells you that a Scorpion is less valuable because you put the stylish bumpers that were designed for the car rather than retaining the ones mandated by US government who do not design cars, go ahead and kick for me. Pinnifarina > DOT.

Thread Information