Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: scorpion #1147 found - resurrection thread

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: scorpion #1147 found - resurrection thread

Quote Originally Posted by mikeroten View Post
    ^^^ which is why I will put it back to stock and then decide what to do from there. 1976 tires are definitely not 2016 tires and yeah that'll make a big difference. Even brake pad technology has improved greatly.

my car has 205/60-13s on the front and 215/60-13s on the rear, stretched onto the original farfalle wheels. perhaps these might be worth a look.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
    On that note, I personally recommend that you use tires more close to stock width, at least on the front. I wouldn't go any wider than 195 on front. Not only do wide tires make it steer like a truck at low speed, they reduce your grip because of the lower weight per square inch. As light as the front can be with nothing in the trunk, you don't want to reduce that with tires too wide. And if they're stretched onto stock wheels, the contact patch won't be correct either and will also affect your grip.

On my last Scorpion, I ended up with 195s on front and 205s on the rear and had some good Dunlops on it with 15 inch Euro VX phone dial replica wheels and a stock braking system that I kept in really good condition with "fast road" pads from the Monte Hospital. I also purposely used tires with profiles that kept the overall diameter as close to stock as possible.

It stopped beautifully, quickly, with really good pedal feel and feedback and it had excellent grip on both dry and wet roads. I had more than a few "panic" stops on varying road and speed conditions and never had a time when I felt I didn't have adequate control.

All that said, I was fortunate to have owned a new Scorpion once upon a time. The stock tires were 185 Pirelli P6s and I drove it all up and down the East Coast and all over the Southeast where we are known for our voluminous rainfalls. On the road, I only had one incident (on my wedding night) driving through a rain squall in Florida where I hit a puddle and the front got really loose and slid when I tried to slow and stop.

I also used to autocross it with a local SCCA chapter and only had one incident where the front slid on me. That was mostly due to my inexperience at "racing". I tried to simultaneously brake hard and make a hard turn and it, naturally, understeered and slid straight through the turn.

Oddly, the best "racing" days for me were when it rained. I would ALWAYS take home the trophy if the track stayed wet all day. Those P6s seem to work better in the rain than the tires my competitors were running.
    DJ Richards
    eBay ID: classic-ricambi
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

woot! thanks to DJ, I have a pair of rebuildable caliper bodies for the back. time to tear down the 2nd one and prepare it for soda blasting. woohoo!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mikeroten View Post
    woot! thanks to DJ, I have a pair of rebuildable caliper bodies for the back. time to tear down the 2nd one and prepare it for soda blasting. woohoo!
    DJ Richards
    eBay ID: classic-ricambi
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

caliper rebuild kit on the way!

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showth...Brake-Calipers

This thread has some good caliper rebuilding info in it.

I'm watching your build thread with great interest, would love to see your car someday!

Downloads
    Uploads

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	11863

If you are rebuilding a caliper and the bleed nipple stay stuck in it's screwhole i got the following procedure to be mostly working:

-Do not use standard or "star" wrenches, only hex or purpoused brakeline wrenches.
    -Drop the caliper in a nitro paint diluent (i hope it's the right translation) and leave it bathing overnight (no WD40 oil, use diluent).
    -Clamp the nipple with a big "grip" pince and hammer shot hardly many many times over the pince using a light hammer head (200-300 gr).
    -Heat the caliper up to 200-250 deg. (Celsius).

But if all that doesn't work....drill all out and use one of the things in the photo.

Cheers.
    Bat

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

thankfully, I don't have to resort to this (thanks DJ!) so my rebuild should be very straightforward. I have the seal kit in hand, need to pull the carb off so we can do a bunch of soda blasting all at the same time. In a few weeks I should be ready to install. If the rear rebuild goes well I'll do the fronts myself, otherwise I'll purchase pre-done calipers for the front.

Downloads
    Uploads

Where do you find the "Power house" in the picture about the brake calipers. I have three brake calipers with broken off bleeder screws I need to remove by drilling out.
    76 scorpion
    67 Firebird Ragtop

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another simpler solution to a seized bleed nipple is to ignore it, i.e. leave alone and fit a banjo with a built in bleed nipple, saves a lot of messing around. Obviously not an ideal solution, but quick and not expensive either.

Peter

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

FINALLY got around to ordering the front rebuild kits, pulled the car back off the lift and will remove the front calipers hopefully over the next week or so. Once they're off, it's soda blasting time. Slow and steady wins the race!

Thread Information