Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thinking of owning an Appia - Opinions wanted

Hello,

I was wondering if any Appia owners would be willing give me your opinion of an Appia. I want to move up next year with my Lancia interest after owning a LBZ and I've realized I like the open top as well as the power the 2L provides. I see there is a an Appia Vignale, but I know nothing about these cars. I've read an Appia buyers guide online but what I want to ask you what traits of the Appia are appealing to you and what are the down sides? Does anything stand out?

Robert from Indiana
    Last edited by Tpatcher; 2nd August 2016 at 09:25 PM.
    1981 Lancia Beta Zagato, 1986 Bertone X1/9

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Thinking of owning an Appia - Opinions wanted

well, since nobody else is offering up...
    i wish i could give you a more qualified opinion but i've only actually driven my appia about 75-100 miles or so. i'm trying to get the painting finished up so i can put it back together and put some more miles on it. mine is a vignale convertible so i cant comment on the other models, but the chassis and mechanicals are the same except that the motor has a few more horsepower.
    the car has a very civilized feel to it, considering its age. very relaxed and predictable. corners well with little body lean, brakes are adequate, acceleration is ok, not great but ok. the little motor runs like a sewing machine, very smooth, and has an interesting exhaust note. the pedal box is pretty small, so you may need to drive without shoes, or use shoes with narrow soles. the driving position is nice and upright and the control layout is easy to use. the top can be a little fussy to put up or down, but once you get the hang of it it's not bad. it's really nice how it stows behind the rear seating area.
    i really like driving the car, it has a nicely refined overall feel, and the build quality is good. i don't think you can drive it without smiling.
    you really should drive one before making the decision to buy, and i wouldn't rule out the berlina, as it has some really neat features that the other models don't have.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

I really appreciate the feedback. I was beginning to think an Appia may be a real clunker . I want one for a daily driver since I drive no more than 30 miles a day during the week and we're using my wife's Jeep on the weekends. After driving my LBZ Spring and Summer I've realized a convertible is my top choice so I'm building a war chest to buy something for next year. I've also learned my limitations when it comes to car restoration so I'll be looking for something nice.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tpatcher View Post
    I really appreciate the feedback. I was beginning to think an Appia may be a real clunker . I want one for a daily driver since I drive no more than 30 miles a day during the week and we're using my wife's Jeep on the weekends. After driving my LBZ Spring and Summer I've realized a convertible is my top choice so I'm building a war chest to buy something for next year. I've also learned my limitations when it comes to car restoration so I'll be looking for something nice.
    I've owned at one time or another several Vignale convertibles since 1964, it was my primary driver in the 60's. Currently I have a 59 vignale that I drive only in summer months, fun to drive with great handling on radial tires, it gives me 30mi per gal consistently with no oil usage and aside for shock tower leakage very few problems. You'll have to get used to not having a syncro first gear and leaving a little extra stopping distance when braking.

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

We got our Appia in 1996 in Indianapolis - all original and a lovely car. It's been remarkably strong, runs without problems, is without a rattle, having lovely build quality.
    Still on original rings, so it's not a powerhouse, but it is extremely smooth and totally refined. Remarkably so. It's big league character in a small package.

I drove ours 250 miles a week ago to Detroit area concours for a weekend, and then 250 miles back home, nary a hitch or a worry. Totally solid. Brakes need adjustment, but that's all. Could just as easy turn around and do it again. A total charmer.

Downsides might be be the short wheelbase, not totally a high speed cruiser. Likes to run 60-65 on hwy, and before this weekend, 74 was about tops...although now it went 82-84 surprisingly. 30-35 mpg, and not a worry or a vice. Get a good one, do the brakes and tires, change the fuel pump diaphragm and the oil, clean the carb and tank, new hoses and good to go!

Hello,

I was wondering if any Appia owners would be willing give me your opinion of an Appia. I want to move up next year with my Lancia interest after owning a LBZ and I've realized I like the open top as well as the power the 2L provides. I see there is a an Appia Vignale, but I know nothing about these cars. I've read an Appia buyers guide online but what I want to ask you what traits of the Appia are appealing to you and what are the down sides? Does anything stand out?

Robert from Indiana

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again to all three of you. I have a much better perspective now.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again to all three of you. I have a much better perspective now.

I would definitely buy an Appia if you have the possibility to buy a good one. I have a series two and series three and love them both.
    It's unbelievable how good they are made. Also their engines are a joy. Last year I drove 8.000 miles in my third series and I was amazed how well it went. Very good mileage and I only had a flat tire.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm thoroughly convinced. Lord give me the patience to wait for the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by hermanhd94 View Post
    I would definitely buy an Appia if you have the possibility to buy a good one. I have a series two and series three and love them both.
    It's unbelievable how good they are made. Also their engines are a joy. Last year I drove 8.000 miles in my third series and I was amazed how well it went. Very good mileage and I only had a flat tire.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm thoroughly convinced. Lord give me the patience to wait for the right one.
    Just wondering how the search is going? A series 2 is definitely on my lifetime list. Charming hardly describes this car-have you been looking in Italy at all?
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Still looking. I want a driver not a concourse car. This will take some time. I find I make bad decisions when I want something badly so I'm keeping an open mind on other options. If another car I admire and in the right condition and price, I could easily lose my way on my Appia quest. I'm hesitant to buy from Italy or anything without seeing it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
    Just wondering how the search is going? A series 2 is definitely on my lifetime list. Charming hardly describes this car-have you been looking in Italy at all?
    Mark

Thread Information