Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Original equipment tyres for the Lancia Appia currently being made by Pirelli 155HR15

Hi

Could i ask you to have a look at my web page with regards to tyres for the Lancia Appia http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/lancia-appia

I'm pretty sure i am right in saying the OE tyre was the 155HR115 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 that Pirelli are still making today https://www.cinturato.net/155-15

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Original equipment tyres for the Lancia Appia currently being made by Pirelli 155

Don't forget that the Series 3 Appia Sedan was fitted with 14" wheels, not 15".

The 2nd Series Owners Handbook says the tires are 155-15 Michelin, 155-15 Michelin X, or 155-15 Pirelli Rolle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Original equipment tyres for the Lancia Appia currently being made by Pirelli 155

so jeff,
    what was the vignale originally equipped with? they are 15'' rims.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as I know, all Appias used 15" tires except the following:

Series III Sedans, 14"
    Late Series III GTE's and Sports by Zagato, 14"
    Giardiniera Wagons, 14"
    Commercial Vehicles, 16"

Again, as far as I know, all Vignale convertibles used 15" wheels. I seem to recall that 165 series tires came very, very close to rubbing on the front sliding pillars. 155 series tires were fine.

Still want to see your cars someday!

Downloads
    Uploads

155-15 seems like what's on the car now. completely mismatched bias ply i think. i'm going to strip and re-paint the wheels this summer and will be putting new rubber on then. i'm thinking radials would be best. were they originally radials? and what brand for series 3?
    spring is coming, we will set up some way to get together. my schedule is cramped till end of april, but then i should be a little less busy. maybe the rain will be slacking off. i did get the fulvia out the other day during a sunbreak, nice to get the fluids circulating!
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    155-15 seems like what's on the car now. completely mismatched bias ply i think. i'm going to strip and re-paint the wheels this summer and will be putting new rubber on then. i'm thinking radials would be best. were they originally radials? and what brand for series 3?...!
    The Aurelia berlina was the first production car delivered from the factory on Michelin radials. Its suspension was tuned for radials, and Lancia never looked back. So I believe the Appia originally appeared on radials, but in any case it would be very silly (IMO) to mount anything else these days. If I'm not mistaken, in period Lancia typically specified Pirelli or Michelin.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been looking at some old books and brochures. It appears on all of the old pictures that the Vignale originally came with black wheels, some with chrome trim rings fixed with three screws, some without these, all with standard Appia center caps. Almost always with wide (2.5") whitewall tires.

The original tires, according to the "Giorgia Nada" Ardea e Appia book, were 155-15 whitewalls by Michelin, Pirelli Rolle, and Ceat DB (I believe these were all bias-ply tires) or Michelin X and Pirelli Cinturato radials in 155-15. I'm not absolutely sure if the radials were also available in whitewalls, I'd have to check on that.

I know that I had a set of the Coker wide whitewalls (bias-ply) on one of my Appia Sedans, and they did not handle well at all, they "tracked" badly. The car was fine on various brands of blackwall radials.

The nice thing is that 155 series 15" tires should always be readily available in many brands and styles, since that's the same size as the standard VW Beetle. I know that I have seen the "Port-A-Wall" add-on whitewalls for 15" tires at places like Oval's VW shop, just a few minutes away from where I live. Perhaps I'll stop by there while I'm out today and ask what they recommend for the 15" tires.

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    I've been looking at some old books and brochures. It appears on all of the old pictures that the Vignale originally came with black wheels, some with chrome trim rings fixed with three screws, some without these, all with standard Appia center caps. Almost always with wide (2.5") whitewall tires.

The original tires, according to the "Giorgia Nada" Ardea e Appia book, were 155-15 whitewalls by Michelin, Pirelli Rolle, and Ceat DB (I believe these were all bias-ply tires) or Michelin X and Pirelli Cinturato radials in 155-15. I'm not absolutely sure if the radials were also available in whitewalls, I'd have to check on that.
    Next time we're out in Indiana (where the Appia is housed) I'll look - we have an original whitewall I think on the spare.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks guys,
    whitewalls would be nice i think, but radials are a must. then i also need to see if the rims are set up for tubes or not. any input there? i'm running tubeless on the fulvia, but those rims are magnesium not steel, and before i went tubeless i did some reading and saw that people were having good luck without tubes. i think the steel wheels may have trouble without the tubes according to some of the research i've done due to the hole for the valve stem. i am quite sure that there are tubes in them now.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running tubeless at the moment with no issues. They are on 165's which only "just" fit and don't catch on the sliding pillars. 155's would be great but like hen's teeth here in Cape Town.

Thread Information