Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo EFI Scorpion

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Turbo EFI Scorpion

Excellento Sean, the dyno shows you everything about the engine, indeed great potential . Any idea what compression ratio is?

A decent spark system will reap huge rewards especially with forced induction! I have a fuel system for sale if your keen LOL.

Regards,
    Ant
    1977 S1 Montecarlo Spyder-137AS0003243

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a half hour to spare on the long weekend and decided to tear into the fuel system to see whats there - so I could see what needed a fixin. Fuel pressure was falling off something tragic while in the dyno. I also wanted to look for a slow leak under the fuel cell. I got under the car and removed the front duct to expose the fuel pump mounted in the center tunnel.

I could see the feed line was damp, it was only about a 6" run from the cell to the pump. As soon as I touched it completely collapsed in my fingers like gum. The PO used a hose which didn't get along with gasoline and deteriorated. The inlet to the pump was totally clogged with goo. A toothpick and liberal flushing with WD-40 got it cleaned out and I replaced the line with a fuel safe hose.

Poured a few gallons of fuel in the cell and checked for leaks and took a test drive. WoW! The car was transformed into a real beast, I can't wait til I can get it back on the dyno as I know its set very rich up top to compensate for the lack of fuel initially. I think its about ready to take over the the DMV for the VIN inspection and Classic plates ;o]

Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a fuel filter anywhere? May want to check it also. Does the cell have foam in it? The foam that prevents fuel from sloshing and contains it better if cell is ruptured breaks down over years and gums up pumps, filters, injectors or jets. Also, got an in-line fuel pressure gauge or adjustable regulator.

Best setup I think is, fuel cell into fuel filter into fuel pump into adjustable regulator into pressure gauge into fuel rail (or gauge and regulator incorporated into fuel rail).

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been working on bigger and better projects lately, but in order to move forward with this car it needed tires. They were essentially new, but dry rotted from sitting. And if that weren't enough two of the fancy aluminum valve stem caps were seized so I couldn't add air to two of the tires…

I know the prior owner went to great lengths to make this wheel / tire combo work based on the custom spacers and proper hardware. I didn't particularly like the 'stretched' look of the tires on the wheels though. I know he had to do this for clearance reasons in relation to the spring perch / tire. I spent some time on tire calculation web pages and found the perfect size tire, but finding someone who made the tire was another story. I did find a set, made by Maxxis, wouldn't have been my first choice but they were highly reviewed and I guess i had run Maxxis tires on motorcycles and ATV's going back years. I went from a 205/45-16 to a 215/40-16 and it seems perfect while putting more rubber on the road. I added an additional 3mm spacer that I had lying around and it looks good so far.

In the meantime I had the wheels stripped of their dull factory finish and powder coated in a metallic charcoal grey. Im following in the footsteps of Mark Rawlings here, the darker color de-emphasizes the over-sized 16" wheels for what seems a more natural fit to the Scorpion. Im super happy with the quality of the powder coating, and at $75 / wheel is was well worth it compared to what I'd have spent in time and materials trying to prep and paint them myself.

Here's some before / after pics. Im ordering some new center caps as well…

I'll feel more comfortable putting it back on the dyno for some further drivability tuning now that I have some safe tires on it.

Hoping to get the car painted while the weather is still mild here in Vegas, I've already found nicely matched charcoal vinyl for the side stripe that will go back on the car after paint.
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Downloads
    Uploads

So catching up a bit.

Tuning the car on E85 exceeded the limits of the stock clutch so I swapped that out for a Spec Stage3+ and a lightened flywheel.

Yanked the wretched interior, sharing duties between myself and trusty upholstery shop - those details will follow as I get pieces back.

Picked a painter, quoted me 4 weeks - took 4 months. I changed my color, was planning on Ford Sunset Gold and opted for their newer brighter Electric Spice. A color you may see on the new Fiesta's and Escapes...

I managed to obtain one of the rare and elusive two piece bubble tops, got creative fitting it - a lil' proud of my method.

I also found a great option for donor lights for the quad mod. The BMW e21 320 used a metal basket which allows two of the mount tabs to be removed and re-welded to allow for a really clean and solid fixture for a Scorpion. I'll share those details after I remove and get all the bits painted.

The top is just about in its final fitment stages, I just need to work on weather stripping and the interior surface / headliner solution.

Here are a few pics of the quad light conversion using the BMW baskets.

For comparison, the quad setup that was removed from the car.

Last edited by HF Stinger; 22nd July 2017 at 11:18 PM.
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool car/thread. I hadn't come across it until this update. Car looks great! Was that one of Todd's tops? He was being so coy about them I finally gave up on it. How does the top work being 2-piece? I've tried to look up the Grantham tops in vain. I also am interested in the bmw 3 series headlights. So I'll wait for you to share those details. Also how many horsies and foot pounds are you putting down now? Thanks for posting.
    -Christopher

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great. What are you using for the blacktrim behind the double bubble top?
    1976 Lancia Turbo Scorpion.
    <br />1986 Fiat Bertone X19.
    <br />GO HUSKIES!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

The black trim behind the bubble top is actually a fiberglass band that permanently mounts to the car. It has pins which the front (removable) portion locks into. This allows the top to be removed fairly easily and stowed in the forward compartment. I think this was Rodger G's design carried on by Scott Hay but not sure if my memory is 100% on that. I've had it for years.
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Downloads
    Uploads

I might have gotten ahead of myself on the top install.
    Here is some detail of the seals installed in the drip rail

Fitment and a teaser.

The headliner installed, alcantara in beige.

Some pics of the car outside in the sun. Coming together slowly with some higher priority projects in the shop.

Next will be reinstalling the rear glass, I removed to reseal it. After the glass is in I can finally start putting the side trim back on the car and fabricating some mounts for the S2 grill.
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Downloads
    Uploads

Monumental but yet incremental update, all of these items seem small but not one of them can be done out of sequence for it all to finally come together is a big deal for me at least.

The rear quarter glass has been removed, cleaned, and remounted.
    New door window trim from MH has been installed, along with refurbished rear window surrounds.
    The drip rail and body trim had been powder coated charcoal to match the wheels has been installed.
    Front grill is mocked up, might pull it forward a bit but I kind of like it set back.

I have to work on the side stripe. Im basically emulating the Fiat Abarth stripe, but with the pininfarina script instead of Abarth. Also in charcoal metallic vinyl.

Also a bit of work to do on the taillight panel, of course its broken but working on a couple options.

Exterior is getting SO close, time to get the interior whipped into shape.
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Thread Information