Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Electronic ignition

I'm currently using the Marelli electronic ignition.

This performance ignition from IAP seems tunable. Not cheap and you'd have to confirm if you can swap your current drive gear which it pretty much says anyway.

http://www.international-auto.com/in...&posid=5698021

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

I used the pertronix ignitor MR-LS1 with the original Scorpion Marelli distributor. Very easy to install.
    The only thing I had issues with was the length of the screws that secure the plate to the distributor. They JUST touched the advance weights. A bit of filiing solved that problem. For $90....its the easiest solution .
    76 Scorpion
    77 Beta coupe
    82 Zagato
    61 Flaminia PF Coupe
    63 Flaminia Touring 3C GT
    77 BMW 530i
    78 Beta HPE

Downloads
    Uploads

Thought I would resurrect this old thread because I referenced it when I recently converted my Scorpion from points to electronic ignition.

Based on the advice in this thread, I bought the Pertronix MR-LS1 also. It was incredibly simple and easy to install. So much so that I spent more time making sure I didn't miss anything than I spent actually installing it.

I did not even have to adjust the timing.

The one confusing bit was the part about the negative wire -- the instructions said to put it directly on the negative terminal on the coil. I did this and it did not run. I then connected instead to the spade connector that the negative wire from the points/condenser connects to, and the car ran. It made sense, but I thought I would play it safe first following the instructions exactly.

It requires a coil with 3 ohms internal resistance. I measured the Scorpion's stock coil and it came to 2.7 ohms. An electrical engineer car enthusiast friend told me "that's good enough." I did not see any external resistor or resistive wire, so I connected it as per the instructions for a car without.

So far I have about 50 miles on it, and it runs better than ever. I'll probably eventually get Pertronix's own coil just to be safe and keep the original as a spare, but so far so good.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats. Glad it worked out and thanks for sharing the tips with all.
    I didn't see this earlier, but as an aside for those trying to do this with stock parts, there is another way too. Rather than use the late FI cam end electronic dizzy, try tracking down the block mount '79 Beta (possibly 78 too?) electronic dizzy. You may want to combine with your stock Scorp drive gear and parts so you can use the stock location.

Dave

Thread Information