Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What tyres? S2 1600 Zagato on 6" Cromadoras

I have recently acquired a S2 1600 Zagato and am now looking for recommendations as to what tyre size is best suited to its 14x6 Cromadoras. It's currently fitted with 175/70's, but they seem to be around 30mm less diameter than the 165/80 OE tyres (on the original steel rims) and I assume will have a over-gearing effect, so just wondering about filling the wheel arches a bit better by going back to the 165/80 or maybe 175/80. Understand 175 is the widest section possible without bodywork fouling. Any thoughts or recommendations? Cheers, Max

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: What tyres? S2 1600 Zagato on 6" Cromadoras

I was running 185/65 14" and it didn't foul the arches but I wasn't happy with the hard ride. I have now purchased 175/80 14" that fill the arches nicely. I however have a coupe s2 and was running the cromadoras 14" x5.5j. Ill be using the old steel rims which are 14" 4.5j

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CraigHelstrip View Post
    I was running 185/65 14" and it didn't foul the arches but I wasn't happy with the hard ride. I have now purchased 175/80 14" that fill the arches nicely. I however have a coupe s2 and was running the cromadoras 14" x5.5j. Ill be using the old steel rims which are 14" 4.5j

Craig
    Steel wheel offset allow 175/80 to fit. So do 5.5J but 6J more problematic due to the significant offset which is designed for the HF neg camber front suspansion set up. If you have the standard positive camber set up then 5.5J or Steel are probably best rims.

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately I don't know which front suspension my car has - is there any easy way to tell? Max

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, look at it! If the top of the wheel leaning towards the car body it is negative camber otherwise it is positive camber.

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking from the car pic (avatar) I would say it is positive camber. Are you a LMC member?

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tim, Yes, LMC member.
    I've had the spirit level on the wheel and its definitely positive camber, so I guess my choices are new wheels, or HF wishbones, or stick with the same tyres. Same tyres look like the simplest option!! Max

Downloads
    Uploads

Same tyres have benefit of slightly lower gearing so even faster off the line!!!

I have forwarded your car details to Roddy Young who maintains the Fulvia Sport Register.

Tim

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I'm looking for input (sanity check?) on tyres for my 1600 Sport to put on 6J X 14" cromadoras before they get painted. (for road use , although am proposing putting 1600HF suspension arms I have on the car).

There are limited options for 175x 70 x14 here, I can only find Dunlop SP sport 200E, Pirelli P3000, Bridgestone Ecopia EP-ZC or Yokohama energy tyres in this size with H rating. Michelin XAS are available at 2 to 3 times the price and at 175 x 80 would be higher geared. Vredenstein classic don't seem to be available here nor Michelin energy in the right size.

Dunlop SP01 mentioned on the English forum are also available but are T rated, not H rated.

Has anyone used them on a 1600 sport or have any recommendations?

Regards
    Will

Downloads
    Uploads

From my experience (with the front HF suspension) body fouling issues on a sport are at the rear arch which is very tight on 6j x14. I have used both Dunlop sport 200 and michelin energy on 175 70 profile both being good tyres. However I would always get fouling when I used the car for a continental holiday when the suspension gets a bigger work out with luggage in the rear and having to deal with fast motor way compressions. I have now resolved this by fitting 165 80 (ie OEM size) 14 Barum Bryliantis (part of contental). The tyre is well made, has a nice period tread pattern and actually handle excellently. You also get the benefit of sensitive Fulvia steering. Maybe you will struggle to get these but they are very cheap so shipping may be an option.

Before anyone says you shouldnt fit 165's to 6j's you are right, but it is not incorrect and my tyre fitter (ex police) said it would not be a problem. I have done 1000 miles since then and am very happy. I set my Sport up to do continental work and not track (I have another Fulvia for that) so I am happy not to have all out grip a wider tyre (may) offer.

Thread Information