Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: What tyres? S2 1600 Zagato on 6" Cromadoras

Some random thoughts:

165s on 6" wheels are outside most manufacturers' recommendations, but will work without issue (other than making the rims a little more vulnerable to kerbing).

T-rated tires aren’t a problem on a Fulvia, being rated for continuous speed of 190km/h (118mph).

For road use, it’s almost always a better idea to start with the factory spec, wherever possible. In most cases, any additional lateral grip from wider lower-profile/taller tires is offset by losses on steering precision or changes in effective gearing.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Ed and Tim for your understanding of the issue. Thisinformation adds extra complication, I had thought from a number of previousposts and the number of pictures around of zagatos (even S1) with 6J X 14s that175 tyres would be ok.
    I have found a tyre fitter who can get Barum Brillantis (<$100each) Nanking tyre ($105), and Michelin XAS ($351) in OEM 165 x 80 x 14. When he found out it was for a Fulvia, he saiddon't use Nanking. No guesses for which one he recommended. Interestingly he said he cant put 175 x70x 14on the car because here it is illegal - more than 15mm undersized!!!!. (Not to sayI cant find someone else who will). I haven’t yet asked about the subject of165 tyres on 6J rims.
    So far this is all reinforcing Ed’s comments.

By comparison a 175x 70 x 14 Dunlop SP Sport 200E is $119and about 4% under geared.
    Is there any reason you prefer not to use the originalwheels with the OEM 165 x 80 x 14 tyres? - aside from the fact you no doubtalready had 1600HF suspension arms on the car.
    Do you have inner tubes installed with the Barum Brillantistyres?
    Where on the wheel arch did the 175s rub? On the turned inedge around the wheel arch or higher up on the inside vertical face?. I amhaving some work done on the wheel arches on my other sport. I know there canbe variations from car to car and evenon each side of the same car. Maybe there is an opportunity to increaseclearance on this car.
    Will

Downloads
    Uploads

Will

I have the 6js fitted for technical and cosmetic reasons! If you go for the hf suspension set up the 6j have an offset to match the suspension design. This is the tech reason! I tried the 5.5j which has a completely different offset ( hf2000 suspenion) and those wheels compromised the fulvia handling a lot. And I like the 6j cromodoras (cosmetic).....

On my car the tyres fouled on inner/outer rear wing flange. You could have this rolled, something I did not want to do as this would have ruined the bare metal paint job I had already invested in the car. This would make enough for 175's

Btw I have absolutely no complaints about the Barums and do not fit tubes. If you see some of the tyre reports they score high on all parameters and I can vouch for the dry and wet performance is excellent. Ps it is unwise to fit tubes to tubeless tyres unless you have a wheel that leaks.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

On my S2 Zagato with 6" Cromodora's the rear tyres would just rub the edge of the rear wheel arch with two small people in the back and a little bit of luggage.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Tim and Phil, that helps a lot. I'll let you know the final outcome. Will

Downloads
    Uploads

If one tyre rubs try adjusting the steady bar to "equalise" the axle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-m View Post
    On my S2 Zagato with 6" Cromodora's the rear tyres would just rub the edge of the rear wheel arch with two small people in the back and a little bit of luggage.
    Hi Phil,
    What size tyres are you using?

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I remember correctly (I no longer have the car and my Zagato is some way from needing tyres...) I was running it on 175-65''s but as I say I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Wattsy View Post
    Hi Phil,
    What size tyres are you using?

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Given the recent spate of cars getting on the road, thought I'd resurrect this with photos of mine finally on the road after 4 years with new 175/70 tyres on refurbed cromodoras. Not sure about the height clearance, maybe would have been better with some of the newly available 80 series Pirellis (and higher gearing for cruising). Havent had any issues with rubbing on rear arches so far. I've yet to transfer over 1600hf front suspension.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1600.jpg   1601.jpg   1602.jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You can fit a 165-14 XAS on a 6" rim, but the reason some of us say you shouldn't is that it's outside the manufacturer's recommended range. Per Michelin's website, for the 165-14 min. rim size is 4.0" / max. size is 5.5".
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Thread Information