Downloads
    Uploads

Dedra 1.8ie 8v Head Gasket

Afternoon all,
    I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who has the above model with a blown head gasket.
    As we live in South Africa and the Dedra was never officially imported here, I'm wondering if there were any other cars within the Fiat Group which would have used the same basic engine (maybe an Alfa or Fiat?) and hence the same head gasket.

Alternatively maybe someone could supply a part number and a supplier I could get it from?

Thanks
    Steve
    Johannesburg

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Dedra 1.8ie 8v Head Gasket

Quote Originally Posted by jolly500 View Post
    Afternoon all,
    I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who has the above model with a blown head gasket.
    As we live in South Africa and the Dedra was never officially imported here, I'm wondering if there were any other cars within the Fiat Group which would have used the same basic engine (maybe an Alfa or Fiat?) and hence the same head gasket.

Alternatively maybe someone could supply a part number and a supplier I could get it from?

Thanks
    Steve
    Johannesburg
    Hi Steve, the Dedra twin cam has a counterbalancer shaft and belt and as such this engine wasn't used by Fiat or Alfa and was only fitted to Dedra.
    I can get you the part number/s you need but I need as model and chassis number, I'll also check availability;
    I would also strongly suggest that if your having the head off now would be the time to change all the belts as well as the idler bearings, this makes good sense as apart from the head you have to take everything else off to change any off the belts.
    Despite what the service books say it is inadvisable to run the timing and counterbalance belts for more than 36,000 miles or 3 years as if either of these break or come off the valves will hit the head with very expensive consequences, and these days would probably cost more to repair than the car is worth.

The reason for changing the idler bearings is that they sometimes seize with the same results of a belt breaking or taking off the timing belt, unless your exceedingly lucky.
    If you need the 'How To' instructions the Workshop manual is in the download section.
    Regards
    Brian Hilton
    Lancia Dedra Technical Advisor
    Lancia Motor Club UK

Thread Information