Thread: spark plug wiring numbering...

New Lancisti
    Downloads
    Uploads

spark plug wiring numbering...

Hi guys...new poster here. I am installing a distributor into my recently acquired barn-find flaminia. looking at the distributor cap, do the numbers on the cap actually correspond to the correct spark plug wires? I have the orange shop manual (which is fairly useless). any help? thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: spark plug wiring numbering...

Hello new guy!
    I own Scorpion # 701 Im not saying that the parts relate but,
    On my engine the cylinders are numbered 4 3 2 1 across the center of the block Right near the Spark plugs leaving little mystery.

On the distributor its also numbered in a circular pattern 1 3 4 2 or something similar , With the center wire being for the ignition wire.

Im willing to guess yours is also marked in a similar fashion , the thing that would help us here best help you is information like:
    1. Year.
    2. # of cylinders or engine size.
    3. PICTURES ! some without the air cleaner would be good if its in the way.

Anything you know that we don't know will help and pictures are worth 1000000 words.

does it look like me?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	7302
    or how about me? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	7303
    what about me? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02436.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	7304
    help us to know so we can help you.
    Scorpion #701

Downloads
    Uploads
    Images

First, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your recent purchase; which Flaminia do you have? In any case, yes, the numbers on the cap should correspond to the cylinder/plug numbers--all 6 of them.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

New Lancisti
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi guys, thanks for the welcome! I ended up finding TDC on number 1 cylinder. I hooked my test light up to it, to verify which was the number 1 spark plug wire on the distributor. I then used the firing order listed in the shop manual, and then rotated the engine, cylinder by cylinder (noting which node on the distributor lit up at each cylinders top of stroke.) FYI: the numbers on the distributor DO NOT remotely correspond to the cylinders.

New Lancisti
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh, and my car is a '59 PF Coupe. originally white with red leather. any flaminia guys know if the factory supplied a dash plaque denoting who the car was built for? my car is one owner, and it has a plaque on the dash that looks like it came from the factory that way. the car was last on the road in 1983.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Images

Glad to hear you sorted the distributor. I'm not specifically a Flaminia guy, but I've never heard of (or seen) a dash plaque with the original owner's name. And unless it was a special order car, it wouldn't have been built specifically for anyone; it was built by Pininfarina as a production model. That said, of course, it's not impossible. Can you post a photo of it?
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Experienced Lancisti Flaminiasupersport's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome here! If I remember well there was sthg strange with the numbers on the distributor cap but you can check the firing order with the rotation of the distributor inside the cap. Normally it should be correct of course but also check with loose ignition wires. When they're strapped together you can easily make errors. Loose them all and plug them in one by one. I think some caps had different number sequences... so be carefull.

The dash plaque was never issued by Lancia. Maybe, due to the status or price of the car, the dealer or owner had it made, but it's not a "factory option".

Quote Originally Posted by Flaminia View Post
    hi guys, thanks for the welcome! I ended up finding TDC on number 1 cylinder. I hooked my test light up to it, to verify which was the number 1 spark plug wire on the distributor. I then used the firing order listed in the shop manual, and then rotated the engine, cylinder by cylinder (noting which node on the distributor lit up at each cylinders top of stroke.) FYI: the numbers on the distributor DO NOT remotely correspond to the cylinders.
    If I remember correctly, the numbers on the distributor cap are the sequence that they are powered at the cap. You then (!) have the responsibility to place them to the correct cylinders. You have to look at the firing order, and then place the wires as needed. Tricky, and it sure would have been nice had they told us! On the other hand, many an Aurelia and Flaminia were purchased years ago as badly running used cars, only to be corrected after a realignment of the wires some 100 yards down the road.

New Lancisti
    Downloads
    Uploads

The numbers on the cap are the firing order, not cylinder number. On Aurelias, at least, you can find the firing order number stamped below the spark plug hole. Straightforward, once you figure it out.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by B24Spider View Post
    The numbers on the cap are the firing order, not cylinder number.
    Well, technically, it's both. The numbers in the firing order directly correlate to cylinder numbers.
    DJ Richards
    eBay ID: slyhokum
    2013 FIAT 500 Abarth, Grigio
    Beta Zagato VX Martini Replica

Thread Information