Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

A lancia long-trip to ...ever e where & back

did I mention that 1200km in DE, NL, BE, FR, UK in that order; followed by 1000km through UK, FR, BE, LUX, DE in 4 days - in a kC - is not a bad-way to fly?; made better by ridin-in-style on the huge blu- leather back-seat of a restored Lancia Berlina in Somerset & Cornwall, up & down steep hills, through towns previously unknown to outsiders, sharing roads with wild goats (some with long horns); sheep, ponies..........

Lovely Lancia Gamma UK Meet ... but a long way to drive; to even get turned-around & around a few several times in BE ...is there any quick-route past Brussels heading SW to Calais...besides country-roads to dead-ends on cow-farms...which satnav swore was correct? How about a quik-route past Lille toward Lux...when Satnav gets confused ? Thank Hvns for Road-Maps !
    Last edited by johnny48; 20th September 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

MORE gC (gamma Cpe) VS kC (kappa Cpe)

there is no way that a Lancia of 1 generation should be compared to a Lancia of another generation; especially when the earlier model was a pure Lancia & the other model a sort of ALFLANcIA.
    I speak of the 1 Gamma vs the 2 Kappa, in this case both Coupes.

1 Gamma 2 Kappa
    Light Heavy
    Lithe Ponderous
    Tinny Alu Engine Sounds Great Muffled Roar of 5 Cly, oh my my
    spiffy also spiffy, but not quite so
    flawless handling expected understeer but great
    very comfortable more than very comfortable
    huge trunk (Boot) huger trunk (boot)
    mileage - great for what it is almost as great
    feels safe, no abs nor airbags feels safer, 2 bags, 1 abs
    brakes - impressive brakes surely more impressive
    styling - aaah at any angle style not best straight on, rest is sublime
    oozes sophistiction ooooh, so subtle
    both are max GT of their age at prices that will never become lower

both outclass low low price everything else

Alternative Choice:
    Beta HPE 2000 Volumex HPE Pudget Cpe

More tomorrow ? posted on 28 Sep 13

well - it isn't tomorrow -
    but I will write this anyway

gamma get slighly better mileage; 7.5 liter per 100km on long trips vs kappa 8.0 liter

gamma is better in the twisty bits & sweeps effortlessy, right on line, in the bends; kC oversteers exactly as & when expected, but is still very well-balanced

kc 5 cyl motor probably weight 2x that of the aluminum 4 cyl gamma motor !

kC accelerates better & is much quieter - always

gamma is aerodynamic; kc much more so

gamma stands out in a crowd; kc blends in

kC can carry a heavier load but doesn't like weight in trunk (boot); so weight must be forward loaded; on rear seats & in f & r footwells

which Lancia to take on a long trip ? Either, kC has A/C, gC not

I have recently learned that
    gamma should be spelled with a small g, as kappa is spelled with a small k (which I knew)
    gamma should be pronounced jamma; kappa should be pronounced yappa

in greek !
    Last edited by johnny48; 28th May 2015 at 12:03 PM.

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Not sure where to put this...

thank You for being so Patient: both kC have been off road for some months; in fact 1 has been off road for about 1 year.

to begin: 1 family member was so thrilled to drive a fast, quiet snd-gold Italo GT, purchased at a used VW Golf/Passat price. It was driven everywhere, usually - says its driver - very fast.
    On 1 not-fast trip - Frankfurt to Berlin- in Ice & snow it was passed by Audi, Benz, BMW like it was standing still; many of the faster-driven cars were repassed thereafter when they landed anywhere & everywhere but on the Autobahn. No one seemed to have gotten hurt, but quite a bit of metal appeared to be bent. Why was the kC being driven so slow ? Its driver said "I'vbe never driven in such weather before, so I went slow...still the car was all over the highway ... going everywhichway but the way I wanted it to go ? Several times, at a smail-pace it did tricks that had us in the car screaming ln fear. Something is dreadfully wrong; it hangs in rear like there is a ton of bricks in it!
    The front end steers, the back end coasts around like a drunk ice-skater.
    I drove it - in the rain - very slow; it seemed to be fine, but butt heavy; on 1 smooth highway entrance it decided to go "sideways"; seemingly under my control, counter-steering as required.....which (at the low speed) was rather fun; except that I did nothing to make it go sideways.

Some many phone-calls later I accepted that I would not accept the news that rear-shocks (which i was sure was the problem; after we used it to carry many many heavy loads to many many places; Music-Equipemnt & Players, luggage & provianten).
    k Club said "maybe in Italia; let us know what you discover !

I phoned Meister Michael of Lancia/Fiat/Alpha in Speyer...who said "bring it & drive a newer Lancia for a few days; which turned out to be a nicesimple newish Punto; which got me home. 2 or 3 days later I was returned a lovely riding steerring kC with a moderate repair bill; M refused to explain what shocks were mounted; so I didn't persue thas matter.

To my surprise, I was not allowed to give the kC back to its rightful driver; who had been lent my own Punto. That was the situation for months on end; which was fine....when time arrived for new MOT / TueV for the kC I was surprised to discover (on my own) that the rear suspension mounting points were quite weak & not going to get better on their own. To Meister Brian's repair-shop it went; I got my Punto back only after I agreed to trade what I was informed (I was outnumbered) that I was the owner of the Kc & the Punto, but a 4wd off road vehicle was required for the (by now ex kC) driver to persue his new job/hobby/job. Thus he now drives a lovely 4wd "Made in Hungary Suzuki (guess who paid !) "Sports-Model", festooned with add-on flares & spoilers; fat wheels & tires. Ad part of that deal I also was returned our Family Y automatic, which had not been driven by its driver of 15 years) for 6 months, since the new job location was 1 stop away on a city bus.
    Thus now I (re) own a Lancia Y; which will be registered as my "run-around-car" next week; gold kC repair should be finished soon as well; it will be reregistered as my "Company Long-Distance" Car. V?Can you follow me ?

Sometimes I can't follow me myself. In any case, to finance the new 4wd car, repairs on kC etc we soldour (by me9 beloved gold gC to a happy Lancisti in Austria; no one in my family will miss it; since now "we" can register our silver gC - which had sat behind the gold gC for almost 1 year; being illegally run up & down our street (on gold gC # plates) every now & then.

Having driven our gold gC to & from many places near & far; many miles; for many years, never with the radio on; I (its usual driver) can say...it was & still is a dream; as the the slvr gC is still (yes) a new car; it will be just as good; maybe better ? How can a perfect gC be replaced by another more-perfect gC.

Give me some time & I'll let you know

J

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Not sure where to put this...

oh yes; behind the slvr gC in a long warehouse has been parked our black kC; which was deregisterd when I became the again-owner of gold kC. No one needs 2 registered kC at the same time

1 kc will be offered for sale in the next weeks. Other than Johannn A of NL; no one needs a collection of kC.

I recently read a kC history report that stated ... most kappa Bellina & SW that are still on the road in Europe ... have been utilized as long-distance transport for 20+ years; many have been driven over 500,ooo km; many are still running strong; still - don't buy one - at any price - with such hi-km; not for parts nor to drive. Our own bought for parts Parts-Berlina is now 1/2 of what it once was,,,with too many parts taken off of it to list; last week it lost its battery to a Fulvia!

Thread Information