Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installation of a new Starter Motor * some hints?

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: Installation of a new Starter Motor * some hints?

Finally got mine out, and I took it to the local guy who has rebuilt many of my starters. He did what he could but it still keeps engaged. One person said they thought the teeth are hangin up with the fly wheel Does anyone know a source for the starter gear? I found the solenoid, but still looking for the gear.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Installation of a new Starter Motor * some hints?

I wanted to update the thread, as I have made some great progress. My issue turned out to be the solenoid, replaced it and the starters works great.
    Now I am on to fixing all the parts I took off. I have to figure out how to get the exhaust manifold off, as I need to replace the studs and gasket. It gets caught up on the steering column. If anyone knows a trick on how to get the manifold off, let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

wish i could help beyond offering encouragement, but i've never had mine apart. i know it's tight alongside the engine, but if someone put it together, you can take it apart. there must be something you're missing. how much more clearance in needed? maybe undo the engine mounts and shift it a bit? i'll have to take a look at mine and see if i spot any clues.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    wish i could help beyond offering encouragement, but i've never had mine apart. i know it's tight alongside the engine, but if someone put it together, you can take it apart. there must be something you're missing. how much more clearance in needed? maybe undo the engine mounts and shift it a bit? i'll have to take a look at mine and see if i spot any clues.
    It appears like it needs about a 1/2 inch of play to get it out. That is why I was thinking detaching the steering would give me that extra room. The interesting thing about having the Vingale, and the series 1 is that you can see that clearly there is more room on that side for the "mass production" car. The convertible is a lower build version, and having spent some time with the guys from Vingale that joined deTomaso as a kid, labor would not have been their focus at all. Everyone was more concerned about the beauty and spending as much time as possible on something.

When I get a solution, I will post it here. Just for giggles.

Thanks.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Wellis@lotsoc.com View Post
    It appears like it needs about a 1/2 inch of play to get it out. That is why I was thinking detaching the steering would give me that extra room. The interesting thing about having the Vingale, and the series 1 is that you can see that clearly there is more room on that side for the "mass production" car. The convertible is a lower build version, and having spent some time with the guys from Vingale that joined deTomaso as a kid, labor would not have been their focus at all. Everyone was more concerned about the beauty and spending as much time as possible on something.

When I get a solution, I will post it here. Just for giggles.

Thanks.
    Spent some time with friends today, and after working on the mounts and studs we finally got the manifold off. Cleaned the surfaces and reinstalled the manifold, and all looks good. Anyone know what the spec for torquing the nuts? my shop manual does not list anything.

Thanks
    w

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

The lack of spec implies a non-critical fastener spec, if you will. That is, mid-grade materials, and therefore, tight enough, but not so tight as to permanently stretch/deform the fastener. As that is little help, I'd suggest a nominal 18 ft#s, dry and clean threads and seats as noted in the book, and retighten after a few heat/cool cycles...

You are using brass nuts, yes?

-Steve

Thread Information