Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

crusty oil filler

i found a bit of a problem with the oil filler/breather on my car the other day while changing the oil. the inside was really rusty and some of the mesh had disintegrated and was falling into the filler tube. i actually found a couple of pieces on the magnetic plug in the sump. i took the breather to my trusty lathe and turned off the lip, pulled out the innards, sandblasted everything nice and clean, put in some stainless mesh from a pot scrubber and welded the top back on. anybody with an old breather should inspect it carefully as the bits that come out of this thing are really nasty. another benefit of this proceedure is that the cranckcase pressure seems to be lower now. i was dripping oil out of the weep hole in the waterpump before doing this. just drove about 250 miles yesterday without a drop of leakage!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0234.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	4560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0236.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	4561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0237.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1,009.3 KB 
ID:	4562
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: crusty oil filler

Great photos Brian,
    I knew of the problem but never actually seen a photo of what it looks like, all I can say is that I'm glad my 2c doesn't have this item, being a fairly early Fulvia I have just a filler cap and a tube that vents the fumes to the air beneath the car, very anti green, but I certainly don't have the problem this breather creates, what a mess!

Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

yes it was a real mess. not the kind of thing i had time for either. i was trying to take care of a few minor issues so i could take the car for a pretty long drive when i found this. luckily the fix was pretty quick and painless. guess i'll change the oil again soon and make sure there isn't any more nasty stuff in the sump.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

Its a known problem and one that all Fulvia owners need to take care of (unles you are blessed with a very early antigreen berlina like Brian's).

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: crusty oil filler

Reading this thread for the first time since I had my Fulvia a year ago makes me think why we haven't sticky threads on the forum?
    Is it possible to make sticky threads?

I do read the forum regularly but the filler problem was told to me by another Fulvia owner I met.

This oil filler problem is really important thing to know by all Fulvia owners.
    ---------------------------
    Fulvia coupé - 1968

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Castagnero View Post
    Reading this thread for the first time since I had my Fulvia a year ago makes me think why we haven't sticky threads on the forum?
    Is it possible to make sticky threads?

I do read the forum regularly but the filler problem was told to me by another Fulvia owner I met.

This oil filler problem is really important thing to know by all Fulvia owners.
    I agree, it would be nice to have some stickies on technical "how to's" that remain at the top of the thread list.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i found a bit of a problem with the oil filler/breather on my car the other day while changing the oil. the inside was really rusty and some of the mesh had disintegrated and was falling into the filler tube. i actually found a couple of pieces on the magnetic plug in the sump. i took the breather to my trusty lathe and turned off the lip, pulled out the innards, sandblasted everything nice and clean, put in some stainless mesh from a pot scrubber and welded the top back on. anybody with an old breather should inspect it carefully as the bits that come out of this thing are really nasty. another benefit of this proceedure is that the cranckcase pressure seems to be lower now. i was dripping oil out of the weep hole in the waterpump before doing this. just drove about 250 miles yesterday without a drop of leakage!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0234.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	4560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0236.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	4561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0237.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1,009.3 KB 
ID:	4562
    I want to do this also tonight to the breather of my Fulvia.

What tools did you use to get that lip bend out and again in to close the lip?
    Looks very smooth.
    Do you have pictures of the tools?
    Fulvia coupé - 1968

Downloads
    Uploads

I want to do this also tonight to the breather of my Fulvia.

What tools did you use to get that lip bend out and again in to close the lip?
    Looks very smooth.
    Do you have pictures of the tools?
    i actually put the canister in my lathe and cut off the portion of the lip that curls over the top. then tig welded and smoothed the remainder back together. if i had to do it only with hand tools i would cut a wooden v block to nest it in and use very small chisels and/or pin punches to push the lip back and separate the two halves. a small body hammer will close it back up. just work slowly around the perimeter and it will work well.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Re: crusty oil filler

I screwed it up...

Edge of lip is like a saw blade now with cracks in it. Used to much force.
    I will have a go to hammer back what is left of the lip. But it will leak as hell I think. A bit of sealant under it...

I have a look for someone with a lathe but otherwise I buy a restored one from rosso corsa but I see minimum purchase is €50,- excl. tax?! what a shame...?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-07-16 20.45.05.jpg   2019-07-16 20.38.51.jpg   2019-07-16 20.43.43.jpg   2019-07-16 20.39.13.jpg  
    Last edited by Castagnero; 17th July 2019 at 02:58 PM.
    Fulvia coupé - 1968

Downloads
    Uploads

I screwed it up...

Edge of lip is like a saw blade now with cracks in it. Used to much force.
    I will have a go to hammer back what is left of the lip. But it will leak as hell I think. A bit of sealant under it...

I have a look for someone with a lathe but otherwise I buy a restored one from rosso corsa but I see you must spend €50,- excl. tax?! what a shame...?!
    or maybe clean it well and have someone weld it shut. then the weld can be smoothed out and paint will hide it all. if you are going to weld it don't use any sealant.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Thread Information