Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fulvia For Sale but a bit different

Downloads
    Uploads

Fulvia For Sale but a bit different

This is being discussed on the Lancia Motor Clib site, so I thought it worth putting on here for dicussion and comments, for or against.
    http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2319224.htm

Brian

rossocorsa

Re: Fulvia For Sale but a bit different

in theory the best of both worlds but the installation looks rather odd. It should be bonkers fast and very smooth too except is that an su carb at the back I don't understand that!! 2000 engine, if still fuel injected, will have lots more low down torque than a 1.6hf and also probably weigh a fair bit less as it is all alloy
    Last edited by rossocorsa; 12th December 2010 at 08:11 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

A lovely birds nest of technology under the bonnet...I believe hoses must be in the top three automotive inventions, along with the spark plug and distributor. Oh, how I yearn for that upgrade on my '72!
    Last edited by Rick; 12th December 2010 at 08:13 AM.
    Rick Lesniewicz Cape Cod Massachusetts
    72 Giulia Super 1.3
    57 Giulietta Spider Veloce
    72 Fulvia 1.3S - gone but not forgotten
    69 Giulia GT1300Junior

riczag

Now what was that discussion about fitting a Gamma engine in a Flavia!

It certainly would be interesting to have a drive of this car and if the body is truly rust free/restored the price does not appear that bad (especially since it comes with a spare engine which is presumably the Fulviia engine or may be not given the conversion - but may be one would require a spare Fulvia sub-frame).

Of course, this is not a car for the purist, and if someone really does want a 2 litre engine in a Fulvia (and I nearly succumbed to this prospect), the Vere Lancia offering is probably a better bet.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry, but if that's the answer, I must have misunderstood the question.

A standard carb'd Flavia 2000 is rated at 114 bhp, and that's with the standard carb not a cobbled-together SU. A standard S2 Fulvia 1600 is rated at 114bhp. The Flavia flat-4 isn't more tunable than the Fulvia; it isn't less complex than the Fulvia; and it isn't lighter than the Fulvia. The Flavia has 118 lbft of torque to the Fulvia's 113 lbft, but this seems like a lot of effort for very little result.

What am I missing here?
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

riczag

Didn't all HF2000s have fuel injection? If so, and if this engine only has a carb, it is stretch of the imagination to refer to the car/engine as an HF2000.

I do not know the weight of the Flavia engine but as Ed suggests this is heavier than the Fulvia (one would guess this to be the case with 2 blocks and 2 heads) and one cannot see any performance advantage over a 1600HF. I think that the car is based on a 1.3S2 and a 2 litre engine would have a performance premium over a 1300S2 engine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the point of this conversion is the fact that a 1600HF fulvia engine is mega expensive if you can find one and a Flavia engine is pretty cheap (150 on ebay) but gives comparable performance, it's still a lancia engine and the conversion is reversable.
    I could always buy it and swop the engine and box with my Fulvia berlina!
    I think it would make more sense in a sedan where you need the torque to pull the extra weight.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pbharcourt View Post
    I think the point of this conversion is the fact that a 1600HF fulvia engine is mega expensive if you can find one and a Flavia engine is pretty cheap (£150 on ebay) but gives comparable performance, it's still a lancia engine and the conversion is reversable.
    I could always buy it and swop the engine and box with my Fulvia berlina!
    I think it would make more sense in a sedan where you need the torque to pull the extra weight.
    I'd agree with that the Berlina could do with the extra power, especially if your talking about my 1091cc of raw power
    Although the engine might be relatively cheap if you can find one, the cost of the rest of the conversion would probably make it considerably more expensive.
    I do wonder that as the Berlina has a bit more height under the bonnet, you could get away with the standard carb or fuel injection set up, depending on engine fitted, which you certainly can't do on the coupe.
    Having had a look at the other photos I can't say that using the Flavia instruments is a great success, looks far too big and clumsy.
    There is a link on the Lancia Motor Club Forum but I couldn't get it to open once pasted here, I think it's due to being put on with a Facebook account of which I not a member, nor have any desire to be.

Brian
    Last edited by fay66; 12th December 2010 at 06:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the 2000 HF had a Bosch D-Jet set-up that put out about 125 bhp, but that's very obviously not what we have here. And the seller says the Flavia engine needs a rebuild, which means that 7000 doesn't seem very cheap IMHO. So, on balance, I can't see this as a compelling alternative to a 1600 Fulvia engine, or even a tuned 1300 for that matter.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

rossocorsa

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Yes, the 2000 HF had a Bosch D-Jet set-up that put out about 125 bhp, but that's very obviously not what we have here. And the seller says the Flavia engine needs a rebuild, which means that 7000 doesn't seem very cheap IMHO. So, on balance, I can't see this as a compelling alternative to a 1600 Fulvia engine, or even a tuned 1300 for that matter.
    if it was a healthy 2000hf engine with the right injection it would be fun,17.5kgm at 3700 against 16.5kgm at 4500 and a much flatter torque curve in theory it'd leave a 1.6hf for dead in normal driving. I would still suspect that flat 4 is marginally lighter the cast iron block on a fulvia is pretty heavy might be wrong though

Thread Information