Uploads

Re: 3C GT Rusteration

Looking Great, well worth your undoubted efforts

Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Todd,

That is some very serious--and very impressive--metal work.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the compliments guys!
    This is the result of fixing rusty Lancia Betas for 20+ years.......you get good at making your own parts from scratch
    and welding.
    Here are some pics of another project I'm helping out with. Its a 1935 MG. Everything on the car is big and swoopy.
    The rear fenders were rusted out where the steel wire reinforced the edge. The entire perimeter was made in 4
    pieces, formed with a shrinker/ stretcher.
    The front fender was rotted where it meets the frame rail . I made a new bottom for it but I had to buy an english wheel to do it.
    The front valance was okay, but I made patterns from it and made a new one just for kicks.
    I like to say that if it can be made out of paper, it can be made out of steel.
    Its not Italian.....but its still pretty cool.
    ToddClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1935 MG Magnette K3 012.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	3733
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1935 MG Magnette K3.jpg   1935 MG Magnette K3 033.jpg  
    76 Scorpion
    77 Beta coupe
    82 Zagato
    61 Flaminia PF Coupe
    63 Flaminia Touring 3C GT
    77 BMW 530i
    78 Beta HPE

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Hello everyone,
    I'm resurrecting this thread as I have 3 goals this year. 1) Get my 82 Zagato back on the road. 2) put lots of miles on the 78 HPE. 3) Get the Flaminia 3C back on its wheels.
    While its on the chassis rotator I want to finish the outer sills. As you can see by the pics, I may need to make a new aluminium outer rocker skin. The rusty piece sitting on the bottom is all that's left of the metal that attaches the skin to the inner rocker.Its easy enough to make but what I would like to know is how should it be attached. It appears that at the factory ,the aluminium was pop-riveted to the steel channel with no thought to insulate the 2 metals. I'm thinking about bolting the 2 together along with lots of anti corrosion paint and maybe a thick rubber gasket.
    How have others solved this problem?,
    Thanks,
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170305_155954354_HDR.jpg   IMG_20170305_160006875_HDR.jpg  
    76 Scorpion
    77 Beta coupe
    82 Zagato
    61 Flaminia PF Coupe
    77 BMW 530i
    78 Beta HPE

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Todd,

I have made a new profile (as a replacement for the original panel) painted both the alu and the floor panel very well, put a layer of strong tape on the floor profile and bolted the alu sill to the floor with stainless steel bolts. This is passing the regular biennial technical inspection for more than twenty years now.

Note that the floor line and the lower edge of the aluminium sill are not parallel

Hubert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

I've finally got the 3C GT off the chassis rotator and on to jack stands again. Floors and rockers are done and the next step is to remove the subframe and replace the metal on the bottom of it.
    I would also like to remove the aluminum body to repair some rotted tubes and protect the frame underneath. The front body section is basically screwed on or the alloy is folded over the frame around the hood opening and door frame. However, where the body meets the windshield, it appears that the alloy has been plug welded to the steel that makes up the dash board. Does anyone know how to disconnect the aluminum with the least amount of damage?
    Also, the cross member that supports the transaxle is still attached to the car. The big bolts have seized onto the inner sleeves of the rubber bushes and cannot be removed. I've been soaking them for years and have heated them till they were cherry red but I still can't move them. I don't want to damage the bushes more than they already are and I've already probably wrecked the bolts from hitting them......does anyone have any ideas how to get the bolts out?
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181123_172825_Burst01.jpg   20181124_145135.jpg   20181123_141654.jpg  
    76 Scorpion
    77 Beta coupe
    82 Zagato
    61 Flaminia PF Coupe
    77 BMW 530i
    78 Beta HPE

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Todd,

what you see at the window frame are rivet heads. You may simply drill them out. In order to get the front shell off the frame you will have to either fold back the folds on A-pillar, hood opening and grill, destroying the alloy flanges, or cut the wings in the corners of the hood opening. At least you may save the folds at the hood opening.

For removal of the bolts you may try the following:

Get a piece of tube (a bush) where the head of the bolt will go through slightly.
    Get a serious Allen screw or stud and weld it head to head to the stuck bolt.
    Slide the bush over that, put some plate with a hole suiting your welded bolt or massive washers on top and use a nut to pull it all out.
    If you are successful you might even be able to cut the welded stud off and reuse the old bolt.

I have done this with the rear leaf spring fixing bolts on my GT. See here (Scroll down to: 3.6 Hinterchse Flaminia, I m sorry it is all in German, but the pics show what I mean. Click to enlarge):

http://www.lanciaclubdeutschland.de/...l?entry=40&f=3

Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the help Hubert. I will try your method to remove the bolt and thanks for the link...there is a lot of good info there.
    I would still like to remove the body from the frame but I am getting the impression that I will do far more damage than its worth. Where the alloy is crimped around the frame it is very "crispy" and brittle. I might get it opened but I'm sure it would not survive re-crimping it back on. Drilling out the rivets would be easy but re-riveting it would be a problem.
    I will have to think about it some more.
    Todd
    76 Scorpion
    77 Beta coupe
    82 Zagato
    61 Flaminia PF Coupe
    77 BMW 530i
    78 Beta HPE

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D. View Post
    Thanks for the help Hubert. I will try your method to remove the bolt and thanks for the link...there is a lot of good info there.
    . . .
    Todd
    It is the homepage of the German Lancia Club. If you see something where a non Google-translator translation would help, just let me know.

According to my experience there is no compromise between either live with what you have or do a full rebuild, removing the shell.
    The old alloy will not survive sharp bending. Welding this aged alloy is not for the unexperienced, but on the other hand you will need alu-welding skills anyhow, if you start repairing.

Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Thread Information