Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I remove the power steering on my beta

swilkes

Can I remove the power steering on my beta

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is posible to remove the power steering on my 1983 2L Beta. Can I do this without changing the rack or is this not advisable?

Allen Lofland

Re: Can I remove the power steering on my beta

As we only went to 1982 here in the USA I can only say that for the Power steering Beta's
    we got, You can not do that. If you do away with the pump you will not have any lube to the rack and that will cause a steering lockup Crash and burn
    Switching the beta Zagato and coupe fromPower to manual is posible, the guy to talk to aboutit is
    VAL in Seatel Washington. He's very up on this subject. I beleive you will need the manual rack and wheel hubs from a manual car to start with.
    Last edited by DJ; 24th January 2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Old web link removed

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed Val Danilov is a treasure trove of information. Look @
    the conversion this way. "Our" ZF power steering: re-buildable,
    similiar to Audi 5000s. Rack seal kits what-have-you. Much
    less time & headache to re-build your P.S. unit. The manual
    rack is different, links different, etc. I guess my point is why
    not repair your P.S. unit? It's gotta come out to install a manual
    system, repair the P.S. unless it beyond salvage, i.e. maybe a
    bad pump too? As Allen stated it IS possible. That generation
    of Z.F.s were good systems. Achilles heel [not unlike manual
    racks] was the exhaust "downpipe"/header frying the accordian
    rubber rack boots. It's you're call. I vote for P.S. repair.

rossocorsa

not recommended! most folk with euro spec manual steering would prefer to retro fit ZF. manual steering with a fast ratio like the ZF is possible as faster than standard racks were available (after market not OE) for the Beta but I imagine that it would be horrendously heavy at parking speeds, the standard steering is much lower geared than PS it is OK but it simply isn't quick enough for fast driving and is also somewhat of a muscle builder at low speed, even though it is a bit too light and lacks ultimate feel the ZF steering is the best Beta set up
    Last edited by rossocorsa; 23rd May 2009 at 03:48 PM.

swilkes

Thankyou all for you replies and advise. Very wise comments. I will stick with the ZF PS and get things repaired.
    Cheers

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad you agree. Word of caution: entrust the re-build to a pro.
    Hospital operating room cleanliness necessary to prevent any
    contaminants from getting into the works. They are fine P.S.
    systems & were praised for having the power assist begin to
    reduce @ lower speeds than many other P.S. systems of the day
    thereby imparting better road "feel"/input sooner. Good luck!

Allen Lofland

And dont forget the high presure side hoses when you do the rebuild. That way you wont have to go in there twice

Jim Keller

Thumbs down Re: Can I remove the power steering on my beta

WARNING!!!!!
    Before you go and buy a bunch of old junk with plans of converting to manual steering, go drive a Beta Coupe with manual steering, it's not only CRAP! for handling, but it will cost you more in the long run for a swap than to just rebuild your ZF rack. I had a 76 Coupe with manual steering and it reminded me a lot of the steering feel of my 69 Ford Falcon!! sure the car stuck unlike my Falcon when you turned, but the steering feel was still old fashion as in you had to turn the wheel too much for turns and corrections, just felt sloppy, and yes, my suspension was just fine

My recomendation also is keep the ZF, and like Allen said, change the hoses too! I drove my Coupe for almost two years with no power steering assuming it was a bad rack, (the PS was out when I bought it), turned out to only be a bad hose the guy I sold it to discovered......Doh! guess I should have looked it over rather than go on with an assumtion! LOL

BTW Allen, the rack never locked up while it was empty of fluid, it was VERY stiff for turning into parking spaces, but it never locked up or anything, and never leaked two years later when the hose was repaired and fluid filled, still wasn't leaking when I sold it.

I recomend "Steer & Gear" in Columbus Ohio for the rack rebuild. You now need to send in your rack, (or a good core), as they no longer keep a rebuilt one on the shelf ready, but they are good and won't rape you on the price. If you want to drive yours while a rack is being rebuilt, I have a core I can send directly to Steer & Gear for you, you pay the postage, shouldn't be much, I live only 45 miles from them.

Ed P

For anyone who may need them, I do have new, original Lancia power steering rack boots available. Email me if needed.

pizza-store@hotmail.com

Ed

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another viewpoint, which is at odds with some of the other postings:

First, I have a '77 Beta HPE, manual steering (TRW) from the factory, steers very nicely at all speeds, NOT like an old Ford Falcon! I still can't figure out why Lancia ever switched to power steering on the Beta, it certainly didn't need it, IMHO.

Secondly, I had an '87 Alfa Romeo Milano which came stock with ZF power steering, and when the rack started leaking (as nearly all of them did, eventually) I just snipped the belt and went 'sans assist' for more than three years and 30K+ miles, without any modifications to the rack. Didn't pack it with grease, nothing! Always worked fine, never locked up, and although the steering was quite heavy at parking lot speeds, it was manageable enough that the lady who bought the car from me (a normal-sized woman, not a power-lifter by any means) had no trouble with it. On the highway the steering feel without the power assist was wonderful. However, I can't say whether this Alfa experience would translate to the Lancia.

Dave Spiegelthal
    Centreville, VA
    '77 Lancia Beta HPE
    '77 Fiat X1/9
    '71 Fiat 850 Spider

Thread Information