Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Ed P

Re: Scorpion #1572 Resurrection

Hi Will,

Gil's brother-in-law (Chris) kept the molds out at his place in Riverside, CA. When the demand for the bumpers simply tapered off I never thought about contacting Chris to get them 'cause I figured another order would roll in sometime.

Might be an interesting "project" to try and locate him to see if the molds still exist.

Ed

Downloads
    Uploads

Im back on the road again, however that didn't stop the goodies from arriving. Thanks to Bob Sorrentino a lil' package will be waiting in the garage for me when I get home next weekend.

They'll get a full refurb before getting mounted - wow this list is getting long...

And if that weren't enough, the 77 rolling chassis offered up by our own John Allen arrived safely and sound this afternoon as well. Im very lucky to have a generous buddy with a 1/2 acre lot in an unincorporated area where I can store the car in the mean time.

Thanks again John!!
    Last edited by HF Stinger; 13th June 2009 at 12:38 AM.
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ed -

Sorry, but your recollection isn't entirely accurate (blame it on age)! I borrowed a set of bumpers from Gennaro and made molds. I couldn't afford yours!

Ed P

Hi Mark,

Ah... Gennaro... there's a name I haven't thought about in years. Are you still in touch with him?

Thanks for the correction, I sold so many sets of bumpers it's impossible to remember everyone.

For those of you who don't know, Mark put together one of the most gorgeous Scorpions ever.

Ed

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
    Hi Mark,

Ah... Gennaro... there's a name I haven't thought about in years. Are you still in touch with him?

Thanks for the correction, I sold so many sets of bumpers it's impossible to remember everyone.

For those of you who don't know, Mark put together one of the most gorgeous Scorpions ever.

Ed
    Gennaro and I are good friends. I can credit you Ed, for that. We met at one of your Scorpion get together's over 20 years ago. I talk to him frequently and see him about once a year. He moved back to the mother country a few years ago, but is now back in San Diego for the forseeable future. He sold his Scorpions before moving; still has a Spider and a few X1/9s.

Ed P

Mark,

Right now I am looking at a VHS video cassette sitting on the shelf that was taken at the meet I held in 1986. I probably haven't watched it since 1988! I'll have to pop it in and see what's on it.

Transferring it into an AVI file (or such) would be great. then I could post it up on my web site for downloading.

Would you email me Gennaro's phone number or email address?

Ed

walbum

Sorry for furthering the hi-jacked thread, I believe that Generro was a previous owner of my Scorpion (115. I would be interested in his recollections of the car (mods, etc.).

Downloads
    Uploads

Been home a few weeks with limited productivity - catching up on 'home' things as well as triple digit garage temps...

I wanted to throw a question or two out there.

Who would be my best one-stop-shop for ordering all required engine rebuild items? Im familiar with Vick and International but would there be any other options that would likely have-it-all? I got SO beat up on shipping charges last year during my audi project I would like to consolidate as much shipping as possible this time around.

Also, my pistons are a ,4mm overbore. Does anyone have a standard bore mid-compresstion kit lying around? I might have a buyer for my oversized kit...

For now Im planning on keeping the dual carb setup and staying NA so I dont mind the higher compression.

My last car had a lightened flywheel and I really liked it, are the details of this covered in the GC book? Can any machine shop be trusted with the procedure?
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HF Stinger View Post

My last car had a lightened flywheel and I really liked it, are the details of this covered in the GC book? Can any machine shop be trusted with the procedure?
    I've always been puzzled by the lightened flywheel thing. I can see how less rotational inertia would let you engine rev up a little faster when the clutch is disengaged, but I would think that in the real world of accelerating the drive line, wheels, and the whole car that it would be so small as to be unnoticeable. (I would think that it might help improve clutch life, too, by reducing the amount of energy needed to match engine rpm and xmsn input shaft speed when shifting.) Can you really notice a difference in performance? I would think that there might be a significant difference in the ability to idle without being 'lumpy'.

It also just occurred to me that it might make double-clutch downshifts a little faster, too. Again, noticeable?

Aside. I once had a car that was cooled (air-cooled) by a squirrel-cage fan. The blower was connected to the engine by spring-loaded friction pads so that when you accelerated hard the fan just slipped, then caught up to the engine speed slowly. Obviously the designers thought it helped, and I must say that it did respond, with no load, very very rapidly; but that might have been simply that it was an especially low friction engine (roller crank and roller rod big-end bearings and only two {big} cylinders).

Downloads
    Uploads

Its personal preference, but I love how a lightened flywheel reacts. I mentioned my last scorpion had a lightened one, but failed to mention my UrQuattro has a 9 pound Fidanza Aluminum flywheel currently installed with a Spec II+ clutch. It's very drivable and I think the lighter inertial mass compliments what would normally be some quirkiness of a higher performance clutch.

Off-the-line and acceleration are notably improved. I don't feel there is any true gain in horsepower, however the ability to accelerate quicker would show higher numbers sooner on a dyno with the same overall peak HP.

The throttle response is amazing as you suggested while shifting, etc.
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Thread Information