Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Carb Upgrade - S3 Fulvia

Agree with both. Dellorto 45's come up on Ebay uk pretty regularly and the best (restored) fetch max about 400. Add a manifold from Omicron and some new jets and the total bill would never surpass 800.

So for these you would be paying 2000 for originality and NOS - maybe worth it to someone but not good value in my book. And of course for it to become a market price (as oppposed to a single "fool and his money......") the next person with a set has to find a second person to pay similar. Would there be two such fools with a Fulvia....I thought Fulvia owners were of discerning taste, high intellect and an appreciation of value for money

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    I can't see why a $4150 set of DHLA 45s would increase the value of all Fulvias. But you can always dream...
    I was commenting on the the fact that if part prices continue to climb as they are and demand is also there to pay these prices, then it follows that the value of the vehicles must also climb.

I am not saying one set of carbs will increase the value of all Fulvia's but generally all parts are increasing in cost as they get rarer and more sort after. If people are willing to pay these prices then this will have a direct knock-on effect against the actual vehicle values.

FF
    http://www.markjamesjames.com
    Mark James James :: Creative Design Services

http://www.rallylegendreplicas.com
    Rally Legend Replicas

http://www.rallylegendmodels.com
    Rally Legend Models

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark,

I understand what you're saying, except these aren't "Fulvia parts"--they're (allegedly) race components that don't relate to "normal" Fulvias and more than the couple of ex-works cars currently for sale relate to our street cars.

At the moment, you have your choice of 1972 San Remo 1.6HF team cars; both the 1st place and 2nd place finishers are for sale. Each is listed as POA, and I haven't inquired about them, but I think it's a fair assumption that the asking price is some substantial multiple of the price of a street Fanalone. Other than the general proposition that it might raise the public profile of all Fulvias, it's hard to see how an astronomical price for an ex-works car has a "direct knock-on effect" on the value of my car.

And, of course, we're assuming that the carbs/manifold in question really are period parts. In fact, they may be NOS without being historic. Repro Gp. 4 manifolds have been available for years; these could have very little age and still be NOS--same with the carbs themselves. The seller represents the whole thing to be "new old stock, never installed", but doesn't actually make any claim that they're period parts.

So, absent some documentation that these are genuine period works spares, there's no reason to call this anything other than a case of wishful thinking. IMHO, the seller's dreaming. And if we think his asking price has anything to do with the value of out cars, I submit that we're dreaming, too.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

I was mearly expressing an opinion, you may not agree, but lay off with the lecture please.

FF.
    http://www.markjamesjames.com
    Mark James James :: Creative Design Services

http://www.rallylegendreplicas.com
    Rally Legend Replicas

http://www.rallylegendmodels.com
    Rally Legend Models

RallyRobin

I think anyone who has been involved in prepping and/or competing in stage rally cars would tend to look at this "original works cars" idea with more than a bit of skepticism. Stage rallying beats the sh*t out of a car. Works cars (and many privateer cars) regularly get completely torn-down and rebuilt - often with many new parts. Sometimes with new shells.

I remember reading an interview with one of the BMC works guys who laughed at the idea of people paying massive premiums for such cars when it was regular practice to reshell works cars after so many events - casting serious doubt on the authenticity of so-called "original works cars"

There's one born every minute, but I doubt you're going to smell Munari's sweat in a 30 yrs post-competition "original works car".

Robin
    (ex-co-driver of an original ex-works, ex-Y2004, now Y2007 ex-Subaru ex-STi) ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark, my apologies; no offense intended. Let's see if the carb set-up actually sells at that price.

Robin, from everything I can tell, the two San Remo cars are the real thing. Only one of them was restored to the original Marlboro livery; the other is simply in "Lancia Italia" form with black hood. Some of the rallies were harder on the chassis than others; neither the Acropolis nor the Safari was kind to Fulvias, but Monte Carlo and San Remo weren't nearly as brutal, so it's possible that these cars are correct. But your point is well taken; rallying is a very efficient way to destroy a car, and anyone buying something advertised as an ex-works car is well advised to do their homework and insist on clear documentation.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: Carb Upgrade - S3 Fulvia

I've only just found my way back here again so excuse me butting in.
    I run my 1091cc Fulvia 2c Berlina on Dellorto 32 DHla's on the same manifold to which their predecessors the Solex 32's were fitted, I find that she runs much smoother on the Dellorto's, pulls better and stays in tune for far longer.
    I purchased them new about 6 years ago from Dellorto supplier in Reading UK, already jetted for my engine,and have never had to touch them, although I do think she runs slightly on the rich side, at the time they cost me 350 new, which made me cough a bit!
    Brian

lanciatomcat

Smile Re: Carb Upgrade - S3 Fulvia

Welcome back.
    I think you will find prices from Eurocarb Ltd. have risen sharply since you purchased your carbs.
    Good to see the number of lancisti in our area is increasing!!
    Regards
    Tom

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Carb Upgrade - S3 Fulvia

Hi Tom,

I've been around here for the last 8 years moving back from Herefordshire after my wife fell ill, I've been into Lancia's since 1994 with my first Dedra and I'm the LMC Dedra Technical Adviser, more from the fact that I've had 5 over the past 16 years than any great claim to being an engineer, although I did work at Vauxhall in Luton for 24 years.
    Going by what you said, I'm just pleased I bought my Dellortos when I did!

Best Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by fay66; 22nd July 2009 at 04:11 AM. Reason: forgot a comment

alfaromeo

Hi Brian,

Glad to hear the 32 mm Dell'Ortos are working well. When you mention that you suspect some rich running condition, just out of curiosity, would you be able to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure is currently?

I have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and typically set it at 2.7 lbs for the Dell'Ortos, 3 lbs appears to be a upper limit. I believe the standard Solex setup actually ran at a slightly higher pressure from the factory.

Jay

Thread Information