Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Scorpion Fuel Strainer Retro-fit

FYI when refurbishing your Scorpion/Montecarlo in-tank strainer. New style sock filter similar to factory strainer. This upgrade will avoid an unsightly after-market inline fuel filter to the fuel pump. Hidden filter keeps engine bay clean, especially when dealing with EFI plumbing.

Came across this fix somewhere. New fuel strainer avaiable from GM or Chevrolet parts dept about $15. AC Delco Strainer for fuel injection part # 565-1702.

Use rubber tubing and a hose clamp to connect to stock inlet pipe.

Will try to attach foto,

Cary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3248.JPG  

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Scorpion Fuel Strainer Retro-fit

That's a nifty idea but why didn't you post this last Thursday
    when I had mine out of the tank? AHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

Will

That is an excellent tip. You will also need an inline filter though! Unless you have the stock one still- the sock only stops the larger particulates, the inline filter media stops the tiny ones.

Allen Lofland

The new sock is and excellant idea but will not replace the in line high pressure filter on the FI system and for the dual carb set you will need a pressure regulator for the webers For that I highly recommend the King combination filter/regulator very period and Italain correct and it works.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

You guys are sharp!

The in-tank filter is just to protect the electric fuel pump from debris damage. It allows decent filtered fuel flow without burning up a fuel pump due to restriction or clogging. The OEM strainer was used on Chevy small block V-8's with EFI. The fuel flow capability of the strainer supports up to about 300hp, way more than most Twin Cams will see unless turboed 037's!

You definitely need another appropriate in-line filter between the pump and the fuel rail (whether EFI or carbureted). I just wanted to keep the install as clean as possible, besides keeping the smog inspectors from wondering what all the suspicious plumbing is for.

Just posted some more pictures of the modified Beta EFI conversion in the foto gallery.

I have learned a little from examining what others have done, hope this benefits someone too.

Randy Brown

Thank you very much for that tip!

I had forgotten about my destroyed strainer - I have been pondering for some time now about how to replace it. One more modicum of progress now possible.

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

The proper AC-Delco strainer part # is: TS1000. The other part # is GM & almost
    impossible to X-reference @ a parts store. I didn't want to use a hose & hose
    clamp. A 1/8" tap [x whatever thread count] will thread the metal female inlet of
    the sock. A copper 3/8" O.D. faucet water supply tube will slide over the alum.
    intake tube of the pick-up. Cut tube & threaded that on the outside. Soldering the
    copper tube over the alum. tube yields a solid connection. Ergo the pipe threads
    into the metal sock inlet, solder on the alum. pick-up tube = no leaks. It's a
    thought for those who want to get this involved for a "proper" retro-fit . . .

Thread Information