Snakeman

Transmisson upgrade options?

Hi All,

I am finding it increasingly difficult to select 1st and 2nd gear on my S2. I strongly suspect the syncro hub for those two gears is worn out, probably due to the race track ab-use I give it.

So I will either have to fix this trans, or replace with a more suitable upgrade The Monte box has a very low ratio 1st gear (1st = 3.75, 2nd = 2.235, 3rd = 1.522, 4th = 1.152 and 5th 0.925). And the final drive could also do with allowing a higher top speed (Currently 14/52)

I have heard that, with some modification, a fiat 131 box with go in. What options do I have?

Kind regards

Wallace

Re: Transmisson upgrade options?

I've swapped the final drive from a VX box and made a hybrid up. I also slapped in new bearings where I could. I think I ended up using the case from the VX box as it was in better condiition. A couple of differences on the Monte box which makes it unique - but not impossible to get over.

1. The right hand output is threaded on the mc to take the ball joint flange. Swap or cut a thread on a lathe !

2. The slector shaft is different. It has a larger diameter on the mc. Nothing the carefull use on an adjustable reamer can't sort out . .

3. The plate which holds the clutch slave cylinder needs m8 tapped holes in the gearbox. On a VX box, the holes are there, but not tapped.

4. I think the speedo drive has a different gear. Need to recalibrate the speedo !

I think that's about it . .it was a while ago so may have forgotten a few bits.

Snakeman

HI All,

Remenber this thread... Well I have completed the job of making a VX transmission fit a Montecarlo

I have uploaded the full details of what work is required on the GCT site. See link

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=1105

The change is superb for my Monte as my engine output is much higher than STD.

Cheers, G

Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen a Vx install in a Monte where the Beta driveshafts were retained. The car was not a runner, and the project wasn't finished, but is there any advantage to running this set up over the Monte unequal length shafts?

Darren

Darren Cooksey
    www.monteservicingandrepair.com - now on Facebook! - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MSMR/260731937362313

Editor - Montecarlo Consortium
    www.montecarlo.org.uk

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Snakeman

Hi Darren,

In a front wheel drive car you must have equal length (or very close to) drivshafts this is to prevent Torque Steer. This occures when accelerating hard from stadstill and the torque is stored differently in each of the shafts. If one is longer, or different in design, to the other then it tends to pull at the steering wheel.

This is not an issue on monte/scorp cos it aint FWD.

I suspect the car you saw was built by someone who did not want to strip the box and ended up with lots of new conversion work that could have otherwise been avoided.

Cheers, G

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Geoff,

That clears it up, and I'm sure the next time I see it, I'll notice that the offside probably isn't connected anyway!

Darren

Darren Cooksey
    www.monteservicingandrepair.com - now on Facebook! - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MSMR/260731937362313

Editor - Montecarlo Consortium
    www.montecarlo.org.uk

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Thread Information