Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: A question for those of you who know about electric motors

Great news,
    Now can anyone offer advice on my problem with the heater motor on my 2c Berlina.
    The Berlina is different in having a housing containing the in line fan on the top of the firewall directly above the heater, but under the bonnet, all the rest of the heater is also buried under the dash.
    The housing is fed by a huge air intake tube from just behind the grille.
    A couple of years ago I let a fellow lancisti have my spare motor for his Flaminia GT that has 2.
    Shortly afterwards mine packed up and the shaft is seized solid.
    I was offered a Flaminia one! But in actual fact it is different in having no wires leading out of the motor, but a couple of bullet connections to plug wires in.
    I've checked the power from the switch and it appears OK, I've checked and I seem to have a clean earth point. However nothing happens when connected up.
    If i then remove the housing with the motor inside, run the wires to both sides of the battery, it runs?
    What am I missing, I have a multimeter but it confuses the heck out of me, electrics have never been my strong point!
    Brian

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Brian: is the housing made of plastic or steel? It sounds like a grounding issue to me. If you have a two speed fan, it is likely that you have three wires to the fan motor—at least that is the case with the series 2 coupe: one for high speed; one for low; and the third is the common ground. If that is the case, I’d wonder about your ground wire (which is liable to be the black one).
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: A question for those of you who know about electric motors

Thanks,
    It's a metal housing but the motor is mounted on 3 pillars that are hard rubber, the colours of the wires aren't an issue, I had to add them as the Flaminia motor doesn't have any wires coming out, just two round connectors.
    Must admit my first thought after checking I had power, was earthing so i checked to see if I'd got the wires the wrong way round, and clean the earthing point.
    I'll find the photos and put them on here.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Brian,

maybe the motor simply is broken. Most of the Flaminia ventilators have seized during their life. There are six or seven of them on my shelf and when I recall correctly only one of them is working as it should

Hubert
    Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Hubert, but the fan runs when connected direct to the battery but not when in its proper place🤔
    Incidentally it is a single speed motor.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, sorry i did not catch that. Yes it is a single speed.
    Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Great news,
    Now can anyone offer advice on my problem with the heater motor on my 2c Berlina.
    The Berlina is different in having a housing containing the in line fan on the top of the firewall directly above the heater, but under the bonnet, all the rest of the heater is also buried under the dash.
    The housing is fed by a huge air intake tube from just behind the grille.
    A couple of years ago I let a fellow lancisti have my spare motor for his Flaminia GT that has 2.
    Shortly afterwards mine packed up and the shaft is seized solid.
    I was offered a Flaminia one! But in actual fact it is different in having no wires leading out of the motor, but a couple of bullet connections to plug wires in.
    I've checked the power from the switch and it appears OK, I've checked and I seem to have a clean earth point. However nothing happens when connected up.
    If i then remove the housing with the motor inside, run the wires to both sides of the battery, it runs?
    What am I missing, I have a multimeter but it confuses the heck out of me, electrics have never been my strong point!
    Brian
    Sometimes it appears the switch is working ok, or the fuse is passing current properly when you check it with your meter, but when you put the circuit under load it fails. Probe the wires at the fan with it disconnected and then connected to see if the voltage is falling off when you load the circuit.
    If the voltage drops then follow the wire back through all the junctions till you find the weak link.
    Good luck
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to agree with bmarler, Brian. If the motor turns when it is connected directly to the battery, and there are no earthing issues—as there do not appear to be, the problem must lie elsewhere. I’d start with using a test light at the “power in” side of the switch, then the “power out to the fan motor” side. It is, of course, possible that you have a broken wire, but the weak links, in my experience, tend to be things like switches, connectors, fuses, that sort of thing. Let us know how it goes.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone for the very good advice, I'll keep you posted.
    Must admit I hadn't considered the switch.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    But in actual fact it is different in having no wires leading out of the motor, but a couple of bullet connections to plug wires in.
    Brian
    hallo,

just an idea : what did you do with those bullet connections ? Is there now a good contact ?

Try a 12 v lamp instead of the fan motor on the same pos. ( the in of the wire to bullet contact ) and earth points ( the out of the wire to that bullet contact ), if accessible.
    Glad someone else also insists on the difference between multimeter en 12v lamp ( cfr earlier in this thread )
    If that works , the problem has to be those bullet contacts.
    If it's not working, it as to be 1/ your earth point ( that you already checked) or 2/ the positive side, indeed most likely the switch ( if the switch is on the pos side ( Lancia is kind of weird ( sorry I mean special ) concerning this ( controls around the steering wheel ao) ( check the wiring diagram),)

hope this helps, Geert.

Thread Information