Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

A question for those of you who know about electric motors

So I dismantled the dash on my series 2 1,600 to access the heater HVAC module, which is one big, plastic unit with the heater core and fan motor buried deep inside it. All is now back together and all the heating/sliding controls work as they should. The heater core has been boiled-out and pressure tested. I took the electric fan motor apart because it needed a thorough cleaning and relubrication. I did not replace the brushes because they seemed fine. The fan motor worked well on both speeds when I tested it with a battery—far better than before I serviced it. Now that it’s all back together, and reinstalled, the fan only comes on when I turn it on at the switch and then manually give it a twirl with my finger down the cold air intake in the engine compartment. Grrrrrrr...... Not happy....... is there any chance that the brushes simply need bedding in and that the motor will end up working at the switch once it has run for a few hours, or is this hopelessly optimistic. My knowledge of electric motors is pretty minimal.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Re: A question for those of you who know about electric motors

Quote Originally Posted by Professorgearhead View Post
    So I dismantled the dash on my series 2 1,600 to access the heater HVAC module, which is one big, plastic unit with the heater core and fan motor buried deep inside it. All is now back together and all the heating/sliding controls work as they should. The heater core has been boiled-out and pressure tested. I took the electric fan motor apart because it needed a thorough cleaning and relubrication. I did not replace the brushes because they seemed fine. The fan motor worked well on both speeds when I tested it with a battery—far better than before I serviced it. Now that it’s all back together, and reinstalled, the fan only comes on when I turn it on at the switch and then manually give it a twirl with my finger down the cold air intake in the engine compartment. Grrrrrrr...... Not happy....... is there any chance that the brushes simply need bedding in and that the motor will end up working at the switch once it has run for a few hours, or is this hopelessly optimistic. My knowledge of electric motors is pretty minimal.
    Hi,It sounds like you have a voltage drop in the wiring to the motor, check out the voltage going going to the motor,

Downloads
    Uploads

After the service/ clean up did you add anything else to the circuit or lengthen or change the gauge of the wires from switch to motor? I doubt that the brushes are at fault and second flyfisher’s diagnosis. In addition to his recommendations also confirm the voltage going to switch.
    Michael Rigby '72 1.3S S.2

Downloads
    Uploads

Didn’t do a thing. Same wiring, switch, everything...... the only thing was to dismantle the electric motor and clean/lubricate it. Works great, as long as I give it a spin to start it up.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it running in correct direction .i.e. have you swopped the + and - over by mistake?

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you remove the brushes from their holder? If they aresquare you may have replaced them at 90 degrees from the original position,reducing the surface area to the commutator.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does it happen every single time you flip the switch? Usually if you have intermittent issues starting a motor it would be a bad connection to one bar or contact on the commutator (break in the winding somewhere), but if it happens every time it seems like that probably isn't your issue. Maybe there is insufficient voltage like is stated above to get the motor going. Could be the contacts on the piano switch need cleaning perhaps?

Especially if you didn't have this problem when testing the motor outside the car it would seem to suggest a wiring issue of some sort instead of something wrong inside the motor.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had a similar problem but not on a Lancia. I operate a small fleet of motorbikes and on a couple of occasions in the past few years I've noticed on certain bikes the radiator fans won't kick in even when it's obvious the rads are getting hot. A quick flick with a finger will then get activate the fan. The problem is down to wear in the fan motor creating a dead spot on the commutator and when the fan is switched off the fan tends to 'park' itself in the dead spot. Could it be that your Fulvia has the same malaise?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    I've had a similar problem but not on a Lancia. I operate a small fleet of motorbikes and on a couple of occasions in the past few years I've noticed on certain bikes the radiator fans won't kick in even when it's obvious the rads are getting hot. A quick flick with a finger will then get activate the fan. The problem is down to wear in the fan motor creating a dead spot on the commutator and when the fan is switched off the fan tends to 'park' itself in the dead spot. Could it be that your Fulvia has the same malaise?
    that sounds like it could be the problem. The switch on the dash is fine. I did remove the brushes (which come on a built-in, spring-loaded holder), but was really careful to replace them as found. It is essentially impossible to mix up the + and - because the negative is a black wire that goes straight to ground. What confuses me is that the motor did work before I serviced it. Not well, but it would fire up at the switch. That’s why I suspected brushes that weren’t lying perfectly after I cleaned and reassembled them. I’m going for a spin today, and so will fire up the fan with my finger—feeling pretty stupid doing so—and will leave it running. Will report back.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

hopefully running it in for a while will restore it's functionality.
    using improper grease can cause too much stiction for the motor to start easily. i use a lightweight product from kluber for this application.
    if you want to test for a bad spot on the com, re-position the fan before trying to start it instead of flicking it with power applied.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Thread Information