Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Data on Bolts, Screws Etc?

Unfortunately the parts book only identifies fasteners as bolts or screws etc, but does not give sizes or types. Is this information available anywhere? Any bolt/screw/etc I remove I try and replace with a new one if possible. Thanks.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Data on Bolts, Screws Etc?

So I am assuming by the silence that there would not be a source that provides details on fasteners for these cars?

Downloads
    Uploads

Afraid not, not on paper.

But bolts usually have a strength type indicator on them... (like 8.8 , ....)

So if you remove a bolt in a location where the strength may be a factor, better have alook what the value is...
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Also make sure you pay attention to the thread pitch when sourcing new hardware. Some of them are pretty fine thread for the size, like the subframe bolts are M12x 1.25mm thread pitch. I don't know 100% but it seems like all M8 and M10 hardware on the car also has a 1.25mm thread pitch. The M6 like on the ball joints is the standard 1mm thread pitch though.

Not sure how availability of metric hardware is for you guys in Canada (assuming it's got to be better than here), but I always have better luck at local shops like Ace Hardware than at the big box stores. Quality is usually much higher buying from the smaller places I've found. My local ace bolt and screw actually has a really good selection of hardened metric hardware grade 10 and 12.9.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd just clean up the old ones, unless they are damaged or have corrosion. Quality was much better back then. Hardware stores today stock the absolute cheapest stuff they can find. If it's for cosmetic or really necessary, find a really good source for quality fasteners. For instance, we have a place in Washington called Tacoma Screw that has good quality.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Not sure how availability of metric hardware is for you guys in Canada (assuming it's got to be better than here), but I always have better luck at local shops like Ace Hardware than at the big box stores. Quality is usually much higher buying from the smaller places I've found. My local ace bolt and screw actually has a really good selection of hardened metric hardware grade 10 and 12.9.
    While we are a metric country you wouldn't know it if you ever go to a grocery store. Hardware is pretty good.

The reason for the enquiry and my concern is that PO's often do not replace with the correct fastener or use multiple sizes. I removed a rear lens and of the 4 screws, 3 of them were different. I was hoping there was a source but it looks like I am going to have to measure each one myself or try and see what fits best.

Thread Information