Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

electronic Marelli distributor

https://www.ebay.it/itm/254327309298

does anybody know if this dizzy needs to be connected just to + and - or does it need an additional ignition module? i guess the module is the one with the heatsink?

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: electronic Marelli distributor

hmmm....no info about that?

Downloads
    Uploads

if it has an electronic module it will most likely need both positive and negative leads. i've never seen that distributor before though, so i can't say for sure.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

sorry, i should have read the post more completely. it would appear the module is connected to the distributor but without more information on the later ignition it's impossible to tell.
    distributors from that era often had another box mounted in the engine bay that integrated the coil. i'd make sure before purchasing.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

Never heard of this one. My general feeling is that I wouldn't put a lot of faith in an electronic distributor from that era.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

the dizzy has the electronic module "on board", hence it just needs 2 wires to coil minus and coil plus....the same as when you would convert the orignal dizzy to a hall-effect module from accuspark, pretronix ignitor etc.
    the module is a modern one...and can be purchased as spare on the web for less than 10,-€

the dizzy also comes with centrifugal advance.

so theoretically all what you need and what you want:

new dizzy, no play in the mechanics.
    electronic, no need to change or adjust points
    and from the price quite cheap, imo.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Never heard of this one. My general feeling is that I wouldn't put a lot of faith in an electronic distributor from that era.

Mmmmhhhmm.. I think we are talking middle of seventies? Transistor electronics was getting mature by that time, including integration in chips. I was doing electronics in University at that time (including the first generation of microprocessors), and I am convinced that good electronics COULD be made then (but the quality of electronics depends obviuosly on the designer of the circuit - still true today... not sure Magneti-Marrelli would be an experienced electronics designing company, especially with power electronics, at that time).

Btw: my Dad's Flavia Milleotto from second half of the SIXTIES had an electronic voltage regulator made by Motorola It never failed for the 250,000 + km he did with the car (and then the body rusted away around the still almost perfect mechanics, failing the MOT).
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    Mmmmhhhmm.. I think we are talking middle of seventies? Transistor electronics was getting mature by that time, including integration in chips. I was doing electronics in University at that time (including the first generation of microprocessors), and I am convinced that good electronics COULD be made then (but the quality of electronics depends obviuosly on the designer of the circuit - still true today... not sure Magneti-Marrelli would be an experienced electronics designing company, especially with power electronics, at that time)..
    It's not that there weren't good ICs in the '70s; just that they weren't very sophisticated. Unlike modern electronic distributors such as the 123 Ignition unit, this Marelli retains the centrifugal advance. So all it's replacing is the points -- something that can be easily and more cheaply accomplished with a Pertronix Hall sensor.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

obviously...but how much is the Petronix? found several webshops asking 103,-€, plus delivery

and how much does it cost to pay somebody to replace contacts with the petronix?
    or how much does i need to rate "my" valuable time in case i would do it myselves?

to fit a Pertronix or Accuspark the shaft needs to be removed from the dizzy as the petronix-magnet needs to be slided over the mainshaft. so the complete dizzy needs to be disassembled and re-assembled.

and finally: the dizzy remains the old one with all his (possible) play of the shaft and / or already worn centrifugal parts.

if i´m able to sell my original dizzy, which is mechanically in perfect condition, for lets say 100,-€...i have made the complete conversion, incl. a complete new dizzy for zero euro.
    Last edited by alfas; 5th December 2019 at 11:59 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alfas View Post
    obviously...but how much is the Petronix? found several webshops asking 103,-€, plus delivery

and how much does it cost to pay somebody to replace contacts with the petronix?
    or how much does i need to rate "my" valuable time in case i would do it myselves?

to fit a Pertronix or Accuspark the shaft needs to be removed from the dizzy as the petronix-magnet needs to be slided over the mainshaft. so the complete dizzy needs to be disassembled and re-assembled.

and finally: the dizzy remains the old one with all his (possible) play of the shaft and / or already worn centrifugal parts.

if i´m able to sell my original dizzy, which is mechanically in perfect condition, for lets say 100,-€...i have made the complete conversion, incl. a complete new dizzy for zero euro.
    pertronix for the 1300 is a very easy exchange. there's no magnet ring on this one, it's a lobe sensor. the 9mr-ls3 (i think that's the right one) also has adaptive dwell control.
    for emergency spare you can either carry points or another spare sensor. 10 minute change worst case. if the original dizzy is in good condition it works very well.

correction, the right one is a 9mr-ls2
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Thread Information