Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

speedometer not working. debug question

On my last drive, the speedo started bouncing up and down and then a few minutes after, just went dead. What is the right procedure to debug this item? Replace the cable or detach the cable from one end and somehow test it? I have a '71 S2 with Jaeger instruments. With the steering column cover removed I can reach the cable connection at the gauge and can see the cable terminating in the gearbox next to the gearbox dipstick. Suggestions welcome.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: speedometer not working. debug question

Try pulling out the inner cable as it sounds like it might have broken.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Brian:

Remove cable from the instrument end, pull through the firewall and pull cable out leaving it attached to the gearbox end?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Minnloon View Post
    Brian:

Remove cable from the instrument end, pull through the firewall and pull cable out leaving it attached to the gearbox end?
    I'd just unscrew the end that's on the gauge, crank the car, and see if it is turning.

Downloads
    Uploads

Never removed it on my Fulvia but have on other cars over the years, and in those cases you could undo from the instruments, then pull the inner out, if it was broken youd only get a portion of the cable out,.
    But I think taddraughn's idea is a good one to try first if the inner doesn't come out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Minnloon View Post
    On my last drive, the speedo started bouncing up and down and then a few minutes after, just went dead. What is the right procedure to debug this item? Replace the cable or detach the cable from one end and somehow test it? I have a '71 S2 with Jaeger instruments. With the steering column cover removed I can reach the cable connection at the gauge and can see the cable terminating in the gearbox next to the gearbox dipstick. Suggestions welcome.
    little pre-check : look if the milage-recorder is still working or not.
    probably (and if you are lucky) it's not; then check the cable. The connection at the dashboard is easy to find and to connect/disconnect blindly, and check if it's turning if somebody gives the car a little push ( in gear). At the gearbox also easy access, but wil give you ( probably) dirty fingers. Testing de cable is looking if the inner part is broken or not. You can relubricate ; but a new cable is an easy fix and troublefree for many years.

groeten, Geert.

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you prefer, you can detach at the transmission end, make sure the inner cable is pushed in (thus into the speedo at the other end) all the way, and attach a drill to the inner cable at the tranny end. If the cable is OK, you'll see the speedo move (this realistically requires two people).
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    I'd just unscrew the end that's on the gauge, crank the car, and see if it is turning.
    the speedo cable will only turn if the car is moving...... (not cranking)

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I Recently took my 1600 sport in for roadworthy certificate. It failed on 2 things - electric windows and speedo not working. The cable was broken at the gearbox connection. an electrician I got in to look at the electric windows because I only had 7 days to retest replaced the speedo inner cable. When I went back to check and oil the cable I found the second cable had also sheared off at the gearbox. Someone had rolled the ca r to a different position in the meanstime. So took apart the dash ( thanks GlynW for excellent instructions) and took out the speedo(single Veglia
    Borletti unit a bit like S1 - not Jaeger cluster as per 1300) I put the broken off end of the speedo cable in the speedo and tried turning by hand. Seized - Wouldn’t turn.

My suggestion is disconnect at the gearbox end and see if the speedo will turn reasonably freely by hand before connecting a drill.
    Hi
    Borletti unit a bit like S1 - not Jaeger cluster as per 1300) I put the broken off end of the speedo cable in the speedo and tried turning by hand. Seized - Wouldn’t turn.

My suggestion is disconnect at the gearbox end and see if the speedo will turn reasonably freely by hand before connecting a drill.

I then put in a spare VB 200km/hr speedo and ‘borrowed’another cable off another car. This speedo got me through the test but also flickers And makes a loud clicking noise. I have read this could be a speedo issue or damaged/ kinked/ dry speedo cable so am getting a new cable and try that first.

my question is has anyone repaired a seized speedo? The one from the car is a 220km/hr speedo and I dont’t have a spare.

Apologies for hijacking this, but at least it’s on topic.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Apologies also for the repetitions, should have done it in word first.

Thread Information