Downloads
    Uploads

replacing rubber carb mount

Hi all - long time no speak - life's been getting in the way lately.

I am looking to replace the rubber carb mount on my 1,3s.

Silly question, but do I need to use any type of sealant between the hardware and the gaskets when I re-assemble?

Also, the carb mount seems to have a thin layer of thick grease all over it from the supplier (it was wrapped up like this).
    I assume I should clean this up, or should I leave it, and hence use this as additional sealer btw the hardware and gasket?

Last question - I happen to have a carb rebuild kit - is it worth attempting this at the same time, since i have them out, or is this like opening a can of worms?

Thanks in advance
    Josh

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: replacing rubber carb mount

Quote Originally Posted by kiwirgv View Post
    Silly question, but do I need to use any type of sealant between the hardware and the gaskets when I re-assemble?

Normally not. Make sure surfaces are perfect clean and smooth (that includes the flanges of the carbs).

Also, the carb mount seems to have a thin layer of thick grease all over it from the supplier (it was wrapped up like this).
    I assume I should clean this up, or should I leave it, and hence use this as additional sealer btw the hardware and gasket?

I have seen that suppliers coat them sometimes in an anti-rust protection grease kind of stuff. The metal on the rubbers is bare, so when left in storage there is a risk of them rusting. The idea is to remove this stuff (most rust protection can be solved with petrol)

Last question - I happen to have a carb rebuild kit - is it worth attempting this at the same time, since i have them out, or is this like opening a can of worms?

Chances are that you will be opening a can of worms indeed. But that would mean that you are driving around with a can of worms in the first place, and that sooner or later it will result in big trouble.

But you are right in one sense: when you start opening up the carbs, no use doing half work, so prepare for a bigger job. It takes more than just cleaning out and replacing parts from the kit to get them back into shape.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

I would recommend using wellseal

http://nz.sparex.com/joint-compound-...0ml-20430.html

This has the benefit that any excess squeezed into the manifold area is "washed " away over time as petrol soluble. The other advantage is it is non setting so you can dismantle and reuse gaskets if necessary.

If you have a carb rebuild kit I would install bearing in mind to meticulously clean every part of the carbs on dismantling an air line as a minimum and an ultra sonic bath (I keep putting one on my Xmas list....) is recommended by the more purists among us....

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    I would recommend using wellseal

http://nz.sparex.com/joint-compound-...0ml-20430.html

This has the benefit that any excess squeezed into the manifold area is "washed " away over time as petrol soluble. The other advantage is it is non setting so you can dismantle and reuse gaskets if necessary.

If you have a carb rebuild kit I would install bearing in mind to meticulously clean every part of the carbs on dismantling an air line as a minimum and an ultra sonic bath (I keep putting one on my Xmas list....) is recommended by the more purists among us....
    What solution should be used in the ultrasonic bath and how long would you typically run it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 4thinline View Post
    What solution should be used in the ultrasonic bath and how long would you typically run it?
    so many choices...i tried all kinds of different things. degreasers, vinegar solutions, kerosene...i don't know which one worked best. my cleaner is heated too, and i think distilled hot water may have actually done the best.
    i ran many cycles (20 minutes each) until the parts came out clean with no more residue in the tank. don't be in a hurry with the cleaning, it's the most important part of the process.
    just be careful if you use the gallon can of carb cleaner as it can damage the castings if you leave it in too long.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 4thinline View Post
    There are different materials in it, so you have to use different solutions depending on the part you are cleaning. I use a kind of industrial degreaser for general cleaning. For many parts, water with EMAG 404 is the best. I have another one for brass, but I don't recall here at home what the EMAG number is

It takes many cycles to get things ultra clean.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner and used Varsol as the medium. My cleaner also has a heater, so I set it to 50 degrees, waited for it to reach temperature (the heater in mine must be the size of a small match), and the gave it several 10 minute sessions. It certainly removed a great deal of stuff—and that was after I had already rebuilt the carbs, using carb-cleaner, compressed air, and diligence. Incidentally, my cleaner has a 3.5 litre capacity. Be careful. Lots of cleaners out there have tubs just big enough for 4 nuts, 2 bolts, their respective washers, and little else.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    ...no use doing half work, so prepare for a bigger job. It takes more than just cleaning out and replacing parts from the kit to get them back into shape.
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    Considering it has taken me 4 years to get around to replacing this carb mount, perhaps I will leave refurbishing the carbs for another time...

THanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

FYI, I managed to get time to fit the new mount over the weekend.

I gave the engine bay a good clean up too, since I had more room with the air box and carbs removed.

The engine is so much smoother with the new mount installed.
    Much quieter too.
    A typical example of where I wish I'd done it sooner: It'd been on my to-do list for ages.

Aside from some nuts in fiddly places, it was easy and, even though I accidentally left the fuel drip tray off, meaning I had to take it apart and put it back together a second time, it didn't take very long.

Let that be inspiration to do other jobs we've been putting off for so long now.
    Happy motoring!

Thread Information