Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Carburetor support strap

Almost every aftermarket air horn kit for either Solex or Weber carburetors features a downwards facing tab with a hole at its furthest point, but none of the suppliers which I can find offer a support strap in their inventory. My S.2 came without the original Solex support and therefore even if it would fit the reproduction Weber/ Dellorto direct to head manifold and carbs I purchased I still am without it to use as a template.

Does anyone know where this item can be found or offer enough detail that I might fabricate it as close to original as possible?

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Carburetor support strap

Do you mean the support that holds the carburettor assembly up? it is a simple (ish) bracket that has a rubber mount at the bottom end fixing to the oil filter housing whilst the other end is bolted to the back of the airbox. I may have a spare. If not I'll post some images?

Without this suport the rubber manifold will split eventually.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am assuming it is the "strap" 14 in the fig below (and maybe the associated fixing hardware);

The part number is Lancia 2223601 (or 82223601).

Can be ordered at spitline, Felix in SA (and probably others)

As said before, if the support is missing, the weight of the (heavy) carbs will pull down on the rubber interconnection on the manifold, and it will crack eventually.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air filter.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	15141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air filter '.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	15142
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Astonish View Post
    Almost every aftermarket air horn kit for either Solex or Weber carburetors features a downwards facing tab with a hole at its furthest point, but none of the suppliers which I can find offer a support strap in their inventory. My S.2 came without the original Solex support and therefore even if it would fit the reproduction Weber/ Dellorto direct to head manifold and carbs I purchased I still am without it to use as a template.

Does anyone know where this item can be found or offer enough detail that I might fabricate it as close to original as possible?
    The standard strap works on these. As Marnix says Spitline may have this or Felix. If a 1300 you will have a nice sound track but lower power and you may need to re-jet the main jet (carb off job) to compensate for no Lancia air cleaner (which is more than a flame trap but is designed to produce optimum back pressure for the 1300). I can dig out my spare strap next week and take a photo with basic measurements, but maybe others will have one to hand.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    If a 1300 you will have a nice sound track but lower power and you may need to re-jet the main jet (carb off job) to compensate for no Lancia air cleaner (which is more than a flame trap but is designed to produce optimum back pressure for the 1300).
    Very much correct. I didn't go into the issue of using the 1300 carbs with open cones instead of the full airbox, but Tim is quite right: you will lose some power (or may need to experiment with jets). It has been tried out by several, and the conclusion has always been that it works best with the air box. That is no surprise, as Tim says, it was designed to give the optimum pressure.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't forget the sleeve item '1' otherwise the Bush will be ruined very quickly.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Don't forget the sleeve item '1' otherwise the Bush will be ruined very quickly.
    Brian
    When I fitted an oil cooler to my 1600HF moons ago the oil filter mount thread for the strap is higher. I fabbed a new strap out of 4mm ali strip with a plain hole at the base and a slotted hole under the air filter. It has worked well for some 12 years.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Brian
    It is a rubber "silent block" (don't know the proper name). Imho, it is only to isolate the carbs from the engine vibrations (just like the rubbers at the manifold do). Carbs don't like vibrations too much (it upsets the float/float valve operation). Nothing structural as far as I am aware (actually, the rubber grommet is weaker than a full metal fixing would be, no?)
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

the one on my car was missing when i got it and as a result the rubber mounts were failing. when i replaced the mounts i made up an adjustable support using mini heim joints. probably overkill but that's how i roll...
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    It is a rubber "silent block" (don't know the proper name). Imho, it is only to isolate the carbs from the engine vibrations (just like the rubbers at the manifold do). Carbs don't like vibrations too much (it upsets the float/float valve operation). Nothing structural as far as I am aware (actually, the rubber grommet is weaker than a full metal fixing would be, no?)
    Most of the rubber "grommet" forming the silent blocks are shot after 50 years, split, oil contanimated, missing..... I cant say I notice any carb problems with my solid mount....

Thread Information