Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Steering rack source

Quote Originally Posted by Ben D View Post
    Hey Jimmy, yeah it's a primary issue with the car. I wish we could find a generic manual that would work.

Thank you SubG for the good advice. That at least sounds hopeful.
    Good advice for sure. I remember years ago putting that stop leak in the system but don’t think it worked too well. May try again. Thanks Ben
    1978 Lancia Beta Sedan.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	736.2 KB 
ID:	15118
    So fricken excited!!! Been way too many years dormant and I never thought I would reassemble let alone find all the parts and little bits that were everywhere. So close 😊
    1978 Lancia Beta Sedan.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your car looks great Jimmy! I like the look of the coupe/zag mags with the silver. Sets it off nicely.
    I did the same.
    If you're on the east coast, I would check with Raul Dipsolis. He's in NJ or somewhere there. I think he had one. Search the forum for his name and contact info.
    You might enquire when BB will get more kits in.
    I think I still have a kit if you want me to see if the neighbor will rebuild yours? You'd have to pull it and ship it to me (unless your coming to Portland soon). It's kind of a hassle. It's easier to wiggle out the end if you disconnect the inner tie rod ends from the rack, but if you do, don't lose the washers and stuff that fall out there (front and back of the bolt). You also want to see if you have a heat shield for the exhaust manifold there upon reinstall. And make one if you don't have to reinstall. There should be a small one that attaches to the rack and moves with the wheels and a larger one attached to the manifold. You may have to fab up one or both. Does not have to be super fancy or complex. Should help protect the rack, boots, and inner tie rod rubber (speaking of difficult to source). It is easier for reinstallation purposes if you pulled the outer tie rod ends instead of the inners. You'll need the little tool to pop it loose without damaging the boot.
    The rack itself is attached with those C brackets on either end with short fat fine thread bolts, and that knurled u-joint at the base of the steering column, the inner tie rods at the center rack or their outer ends at the spindles. I think you can 'unbolt' the metal lines in the middle firewall and one near the rack/column interface but you'll have to look at your specific connections to be sure.
    If you have someone local do it, the rumor I heard was this will fit with some leftovers; 1980-82 Audi 5000 ZF kit. I think I heard up to '87 was the same but can't say for sure. You'd still want to order the boots tho.

Dave

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all of that Dave. I gave Raul a search but didn’t come up with him on here or Google search. He has a sedan you said and also works on the racks?
    Don’t think I’ll be doing the rack in the very near term as I just want to drive the damn think finally without laying it up for any longer. Also needs tires which are brand new just 30 years old ugh. Not cracked mind you, but hard like a rock. Timing belt also new but 30 plus years old so that is imperative. Was looking for a source for a tensioner bearing and wasn’t having luck. Bayless was out of stock but also like $160 yikes! Should I replace it as a maintenance item or just inspect the old and leave be if okay?
    The rack does seem intimidating but has to be done eventually and appreciate the offer about the neighbor, might be reaching out in the near future. It is leaking badly and it’s just sitting. Hopefully today I can finish up the trim but not looking forward to the windshield trim as that will go on with adhesive but retaining it while it sets up won’t be easy. Have a great story about the windshield and in my next post I’ll elaborate.

Regards,

Jim
    1978 Lancia Beta Sedan.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd replace that 30yo timing belt regardless of appearance. You can use a Fiat tensioner bearing as long as you also switch to the Fiat bearing carrier, both of which are readily available; however, your bearing may not need replacing at all if it turns easily and smoothly, without any free play or coarseness. I wrote up the belt change procedure here:
    http://www.lancisti.net/forum/conten...procedure-tips

I think Raul is "zagato8182" on here and on eBay:
    http://www.lancisti.net/forum/member...136-zagato8182
    https://www.ebay.com/usr/zagato8182
    Zagato8182@verizon.net
    Last edited by SubGothius; 6th October 2019 at 02:27 PM.
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Darn. If its leaking just sitting there, it most likely should be addressed sooooon.
    It can leak on the exhaust when running and start a fire.
    This has undone more than one Beta.
    You can always check to make sure its not just one of the hoses leaking

Here's a copied post from Raul:

zagato8182

Active Lancista

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Can I remove the power steering on my beta

Quote Originally Posted by PAV View Post

Will do, thanks James. I much appreciate everyone chiming in to assist. I have a spare ready to send out.

My friend ... I have all you need to rebuild your ZF power steering rack. Boots and seal kit. Email me please zagato8182@verizon.net Thanks Raul
    I also have lots of parts on Ebay now Ebay Id zagato8182
    Last edited by LanciaDave; 6th October 2019 at 04:42 PM.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    I'd replace that 30yo timing belt regardless of appearance. You can use a Fiat tensioner bearing as long as you also switch to the Fiat bearing carrier, both of which are readily available; however, your bearing may not need replacing at all if it turns easily and smoothly, without any free play or coarseness. I wrote up the belt change procedure here:
    http://www.lancisti.net/forum/conten...procedure-tips

I think Raul is "zagato8182" on here and on eBay:
    http://www.lancisti.net/forum/member...136-zagato8182
    https://www.ebay.com/usr/zagato8182
    Zagato8182@verizon.net
    Thanks Tye. I actually read your write up a
    couple of times. Thanks for writing that 👍
    1978 Lancia Beta Sedan.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dave. I believe I have tightened up hoses in the past but didn’t seem to be the issue. I also did check on the heat shields and all is intact. I will
    take a closer look to see if it’s something obvious leaking. Appreciate everyone’s input. Jim
    1978 Lancia Beta Sedan.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need to have my rack redone as well. Seeing that so many of us need it done I wonder if we could get a "group discounted price" from the place in Ohio or another rebuilder. Would need to have a rough count of how many racks we had to be rebuilt before we contacted anyone. Just a thought.

Jason

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

No doubt Jason. My car has been down so many years that I don’t want to lay it up for another minute and this job looks like it could be a long time between removal, shipping off, return and reinstallation. I’m hoping the Lucas stop leak buys me some time. As it is, two trips to the DMV have yielded me nothing. 4 hour wait times, ridiculous!! Mailing off the documents may take 4-6 weeks. So close to putting on the road but still nothing to show, seems like the car gods are conspiring against me.

Thread Information