Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Synthetic gearbox oils in the USA

I'm going to try a synthetic gear oil for the stiff gearbox in my 1971 S2. This forum recommends Mobil 1 SHC or Castrol TAF-X. The former is not available in the US and the other is discontinued. Castrol syntrans, the substitute for TAF-X is also not available in the US. Reading Lotus forums, a posting said AC Delco (General Motors), 75W-85 GL4 Synthetic is actually the old TAF-X formula from Castrol. Can anyone confirm this? I know it is made by Castrol.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Synthetic gearbox oils in the USA

look at redline gear lube. shock proof or mtl. i use mtl in mine and like it just fine.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've run RedLine Lightweight Shockproof in mine for over a decade. I highly recommend it. I tend to buy directly from RedLine on their web site, but it can be found elsewhere as well
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

On Ed’s recommendation I went to Redline when I changed all fluids after I imported my car. The transmission shifted fine before, but with the Redline, it shifts noticeably more easily—its a more silky shift. I imagine, however, that any high quality tranny oil would do. I’ve used 100% synthetic oils on all my vehicles for years and will continue to do so. Considering the cost and frequency of oil changes to the transmission, shoot for the most expensive, based on the notion that you typically get what you pay for.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the feedback guys. For Redline shockproof I assume you mean Shockproof lightweight, not the heavyweight. For MTL, I think there is only one. They are both widely available. I have the 1.3S engine with 5 speed. Is that the same gearbox as what you have on your 1.6's?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Minnloon View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. For Redline shockproof I assume you mean Shockproof lightweight, not the heavyweight. For MTL, I think there is only one. They are both widely available. I have the 1.3S engine with 5 speed. Is that the same gearbox as what you have on your 1.6's?
    As I said, "I've run RedLine Lightweight Shockproof". I once briefly tried the Heavyweight; I couldn't flush it out fast enough
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the 1.3S engine with 5 speed. Is that the same gearbox as what you have on your 1.6's?
    the gear ratios and final drive are different, but the design is the same as the S2 1.6. The original 5 speed of the Fanalone was different. But I don't think it matters in terms of the oil recommendation.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showth...light=gear+box

In the above previous previous thread, SubGothius noted:

“one of the problems with GL5 oils formulated for modern hypoid gears is they're too slippery for old-fashioned synchro designs to get the friction they need to function properly, which can cause balky shifting”

Similar to the US, I cannot find a source for Mobil SHC here, nor find any tech data for it on line.

When I got my 1600 Sport I put in Penrite synthetic 75W=90 GL5/GL6/MT=1.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/produc...5w-90-full-syn

I had not driven the car previously, but have never driven an S2 box in the past that was so baulky and crunchy, not just in second, but also third. Maybe the synchros in the box are stuffed, but I can’t believe they could be that bad. I was in the car with the previous owner driving and it seemed ok with the original gear box oil in it (which looked old and dirty). Now it takes a long time before the box is warm enough for the gear changes to become semi reasonable.

I have since contacted Penrite and they recommend their mineral gear oil 80W90, also GL5/GL6/MT=1, for Fulvias. The inference may be their more expensive synthetic oil is suitable for more modern transmissions.

Looking on the Redline website it notes the MTL & MT=90 gear oil offers quicker shifts, perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction and eliminates notchy shifting, but is not for use in differentials with hypoid gears which would appear to eliminate use in Fulvias, whereas it says the Lightweight shockproof is popular in racing and dog ring boxes.

Not inferring there is any issue with Lightweight shockproof, particularly given previous posts, but I would appreciate any further comments or experiences before I shell out $AUS119 for lightweight shockproof to try it out.

Interestingly Pieces Fulvia are selling Motul motylgear 75W-80 GL-4/GL=5 semi synthetic which they claim is compatible for Fulvias –only in one litre

https://www.pieces-fulvia.com/gearbo...all-models.htm

https://www.motul.com/cn/en/products/motylgear-75w80

There is also mention of a synthetic Millers recommended by Huib in the previous thread?

Downloads
    Uploads

mtl only has one selection. my 4 speed box was noticeably better when i swapped to this lube. i imagine the lightweight shock proof would be exactly the same, and i might try it when it's time to service the transmission again. i can't really comment on it not being good for hypoid gears as it works great for me.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    the gear ratios and final drive are different, but the design is the same as the S2 1.6. The original 5 speed of the Fanalone was different. But I don't think it matters in terms of the oil recommendation.
    The specific Fulvia gearbox doesn't make a bit of difference.

For the past dozen years my Fanalone has been running an S2 berlina 5-speed with RedLine Lightweight Shockproof (yes -- the gearing is very 'short'). So my experience translates perfectly directly to "standard" Fulvia gearboxes. When I finally get the old works 'piggyback' rebuilt, I'll fill that with Lightweight Shockproof, too.

The RedLine web site seems to suggest that Lightweight Shockproof shouldn't be good with hypoid bevels or with synchro rings. This may be true for current gearboxes, but it doesn't appear to be a problem with 50-YO gearboxes; I've never had a single issue.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Thread Information