New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lancia Beta Keys

Hi All. I am planning to purchase a '76 Beta Coupe that has been sitting for some time. It's located a couple of states away from me and the seller is having no luck in finding the keys to the car. What are my options for keying this car? Am I looking at all new (used) locks with keys? Or is there any code stamped on the locks or door handles etc that will allow me to purchase key blanks and have them cut? Thanks in advance for any advice! I am located in Denver, plan to trailer the Coupe home this weekend, keys or not.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Lancia Beta Keys

I just went through this - you can remove the ignition and take it to an old school locksmith and have them make a key to fit. The doors, on the other hand...best of luck. If you learn something there, I'd love to learn it too...no luck on my end so far.

Quote Originally Posted by GregO View Post
    Hi All. I am planning to purchase a '76 Beta Coupe that has been sitting for some time. It's located a couple of states away from me and the seller is having no luck in finding the keys to the car. What are my options for keying this car? Am I looking at all new (used) locks with keys? Or is there any code stamped on the locks or door handles etc that will allow me to purchase key blanks and have them cut? Thanks in advance for any advice! I am located in Denver, plan to trailer the Coupe home this weekend, keys or not.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zagatos View Post
    I just went through this - you can remove the ignition and take it to an old school locksmith and have them make a key to fit. The doors, on the other hand...best of luck. If you learn something there, I'd love to learn it too...no luck on my end so far.

Thank you. I sure will share info if I can make any progress.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

77 Scorpion

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by scuderia View Post

Thank you!

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

The doors take that long shaft key with the little divots in the sides. The ones I've had looked like #449 or usually #251 on that website. I've seen matched locksets listed occasionally. On ebay or a couple other places like Midwest Bayless or Betaboyz. You can pull the lock cylinders out of the handle to replace them too. Not many locksmiths have the machine to cut those special keys. I've seen similar set up on a type of security key though, so someplace that handles a wider variety may be able to. The other way is, I've had at least one copy made with the proper blank but then the individual dimples drilled inset to match. Obviously not the original method but functioned just fine. Yes, definitely find an old full service locksmith and key cutting shop to help with the keys and see what they can do.

You also may be able to find a replacement ignition switch with key. Check those same sources

In the meantime, is the car locked? You can always pull the locks later if it's open. Are the wheels pointed straight ahead? If the steering is locked with the wheels turned, or if you need to turn it to load her up, you can always unbolt the bottom of the steering column. Where the column meets the floor, there is kind of a pinch bolt on a small u-joint where it connect to the gear for the rack. Unbolt it and pop it off the gear. You'll probably have to wiggle the little bolt out to get it loose. You'll have to turn the wheels manually but it works better than locked steering.

Let us know if any of that helps.

Dave

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you and Hi Dave. I brought the car home this weekend. For some reason the steering was not locked, so loading and unloading was easy. The car was unlocked all around, and that made everything as easy as possible considering. I believe I have sourced a set of door handles and ignition switch with keys from someone who has a parts car. A lifesaver. This is my eighth Beta series car over many years and the first Coupe (my preference) that I've seen for sale in a long time. I jumped on it, even though it's been sitting for years under a roof - in a dry state thank goodness. I expect it will need many hours of work to make roadworthy. The shift rod bushings failed on the spot as I was moving the shifter around. No surprise. Someone has replaced the interior surfaces, including headliner, with dark brown vinyl. Has anyone here replaced the headliner with original in a Beta Coupe? I would love to do that. It is a factory sunroof, but I have not tried that mechanism (ref shifter bushings). Shows 60k miles, brand new tires that have rotted, wheels are extremely nice considering. I will be present on this forum again after years of absence, seeking help, advice and parts! Thank you to all who have commented on my key situation.

Quote Originally Posted by LanciaDave View Post
    The doors take that long shaft key with the little divots in the sides. The ones I've had looked like #449 or usually #251 on that website. I've seen matched locksets listed occasionally. On ebay or a couple other places like Midwest Bayless or Betaboyz. You can pull the lock cylinders out of the handle to replace them too. Not many locksmiths have the machine to cut those special keys. I've seen similar set up on a type of security key though, so someplace that handles a wider variety may be able to. The other way is, I've had at least one copy made with the proper blank but then the individual dimples drilled inset to match. Obviously not the original method but functioned just fine. Yes, definitely find an old full service locksmith and key cutting shop to help with the keys and see what they can do.

You also may be able to find a replacement ignition switch with key. Check those same sources

In the meantime, is the car locked? You can always pull the locks later if it's open. Are the wheels pointed straight ahead? If the steering is locked with the wheels turned, or if you need to turn it to load her up, you can always unbolt the bottom of the steering column. Where the column meets the floor, there is kind of a pinch bolt on a small u-joint where it connect to the gear for the rack. Unbolt it and pop it off the gear. You'll probably have to wiggle the little bolt out to get it loose. You'll have to turn the wheels manually but it works better than locked steering.

Let us know if any of that helps.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0025.jpeg   IMG_0026.jpeg  

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Lancia Beta Keys - Solved, used locks and keys offered by fellow member here

Thanks to a member of this forum, all of my lock and key troubles are soon over, and replacement mechanisms with keys will be in the hands of the shipper soon. And now on to the next 100 list items...

Thank you Lancisti...

Quote Originally Posted by GregO View Post
    Thank you and Hi Dave. I brought the car home this weekend. For some reason the steering was not locked, so loading and unloading was easy. The car was unlocked all around, and that made everything as easy as possible considering. I believe I have sourced a set of door handles and ignition switch with keys from someone who has a parts car. A lifesaver. This is my eighth Beta series car over many years and the first Coupe (my preference) that I've seen for sale in a long time. I jumped on it, even though it's been sitting for years under a roof - in a dry state thank goodness. I expect it will need many hours of work to make roadworthy. The shift rod bushings failed on the spot as I was moving the shifter around. No surprise. Someone has replaced the interior surfaces, including headliner, with dark brown vinyl. Has anyone here replaced the headliner with original in a Beta Coupe? I would love to do that. It is a factory sunroof, but I have not tried that mechanism (ref shifter bushings). Shows 60k miles, brand new tires that have rotted, wheels are extremely nice considering. I will be present on this forum again after years of absence, seeking help, advice and parts! Thank you to all who have commented on my key situation.

Thread Information