Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Rear brake porportioning valve

Hey guys.

Concerning the rear brake proportioning valve - do we need it? MW Bayless has a kit that disposes of it completely.

Also, does anyone have a kit for it?

Thanks,

SBJ
    La Fenice 'due' - '81 Zagato Special Edition - going strong!
    RedWing - '89 Dodge Lancer Shelby
    Duress - '15 Jeep Cherokee Latitude - it does tow!

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Rear brake porportioning valve

That's kind of a loaded question. Pun intended. It's there due to the significant front weight bias
    of Betas. Why the rear pads last forever. If you never have rear seat passengers nor a trunk
    full of stuff it's kind of superfluous. Cores were available once-upon-a-time. They're a pain
    to adjust! Ya gotta weight the rear & so on. I've always thought they were/are really only
    ESSENTIAL in a Beta Sedan ... w/3 passengers ... & a laden trunk. E.G: an emergency
    braking situation on the hwy. while @ speed. Ask me how I know. THEY REALLY WORK!
    I've always admired their simplicity of design & "torque" bar method of operation.
    So you take it out of your Zag & risk a lock up now & then under extreme braking situations?
    I'd opt for keeping it in. Heck a new one is what ... $52? Then have your shop adjust it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OperaHawk View Post
    Hey guys.

Concerning the rear brake proportioning valve - do we need it? MW Bayless has a kit that disposes of it completely.

Also, does anyone have a kit for it?

Thanks,

SBJ
    For the $50 it cost, I'd would replace it rather than remove it. It is safety related and I would hate to find out how effective it was after the accident. ;-) It's function is basically to back-off the rear brakes in a panic stop. Betas are pretty softly sprung so there is an appreciable amount of dive when braking. When the body moves upward relative to the rear wheels, a lever acts on the valve to reduce pressure to the rear calipers in order to prevent rear wheel lock-up which could lead to loss of vehicle control. I would only remove it if you had a very stiffly sprung track-car and were adding a manual proportioning valve to tune the brake bias to your preference. Otherwise, I would keep it. Your car is too nice to mess with.

https://www.midwest-bayless.com/LANC...a-all-new.aspx
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19321.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	15014
    Also, if you need the link bushings they are p/n 4111979 and available. The link plates are unique to the Beta but the bushings are the same as a Fiat 124 as is the rod bushing 4125231.

I replaced mine a while back when replaced the parking brake cable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13895562_1348362035191284_6071291236207362450_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	15013

1974 Fiat X1/9
    1981 Lancia Zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm with DJ here. Modifying factory braking systems should be done only when there's a good engineering reason -- like the Scorpion front brakes, and even then it should involve an engineered work-around, not simply "hey, who really needs it?" a bypass
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Thread Information