Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello from a soon to be 1970 Fulvia 1.3 S2 Owner - Daily Driver?!?

Hello all! Glad to see such a nice community! So I've been strangely attracted to Lancia’s ever since I was a little kid and saw Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo… I've got an opportunity to buy a very good condition 1970 Fulvia 1.3 S2 from a trustworthy friend who is also a long time exotic car importer/exporter and mechanic (the Fulvia is definitely one of his comparatively much cheaper items in stock <drool>). He's been through the car and made sure everything is running well, rust free, and in good shape, plus new exhaust and brakes.

I’ve always purchased new or at least relatively late model cars, so the Fulvia will be my first classic. I totally understand that it’s a different ballgame.I’m handy enough so not afraid to work on it and all that.

My main concern is that under my current visa arrangement, I cannot register more than 2 cars. The wife’s minivan takes upone slot, so the Fulvia will need to be a bit of a daily driver. I have about a 6km surface street (lots of stop lights) commute to-from work which would be its main duty.

So my first little question to the group: Assuming the car isn’t hiding major issues, am I crazy for relying on this car as a daily driver? This would need to be for 2-4 years until I move back to the US and canpick up an additional car to use for commuting.

Thank you in advance!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Hello from a soon to be 1970 Fulvia 1.3 S2 Owner - Daily Driver?!?

If the mechanicals and electrics are well-sorted there's no reason a Fulvia couldn't handle that commute as a daily.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    If the mechanicals and electrics are well-sorted there's no reason a Fulvia couldn't handle that commute as a daily.
    Understood, thank you for the quick reply!

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is not crazy for a 6km commute.

It is crazy to live in a country that limits the cars you can own . What is next? Limit the number of children you can have? Bad example...apologies.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Arde View Post
    It is not crazy for a 6km commute.

It is crazy to live in a country that limits the cars you can own . What is next? Limit the number of children you can have? Bad example...apologies.
    Thanks for the encouraging response!

To clarify the limit, I'm living/working in Japan temporarily under a special visa agreement, so that's what limits me. Japanese citizens and permanent residents have no restrictions. I have self-imposed a kid limit... can barely keep up with them as it is!

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to forum! I don't think you'd have comfort or other problems with such a short commute. With lots of stop lights though I'd definitely make sure the cooling system works well; That's one of the first things that needed attention on mine when I got it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Welcome to forum! I don't think you'd have comfort or other problems with such a short commute. With lots of stop lights though I'd definitely make sure the cooling system works well; That's one of the first things that needed attention on mine when I got it.
    Thank you! Good point about the cooling, will check it carefully. Saw your restoration project thread, inspiring for sure!

Downloads
    Uploads

you have a fair amount of rain there, i'd have a look at any rustproofing on it, and look at putting some in the boxed sections. make sure the windows are sealed properly as well. garage space is probably hard to come by there and when the monsoons hit...
    welcome to the community!
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    you have a fair amount of rain there, i'd have a look at any rustproofing on it, and look at putting some in the boxed sections. make sure the windows are sealed properly as well. garage space is probably hard to come by there and when the monsoons hit...
    welcome to the community!
    Even just a parking space can be hard to come by here... An actual garage is very rare, in the Tokyo area at least. I do have a covered parking space, but yeah it's going to get wet. I will definitely look into doing what I can for rust prevention. Thanks!

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

That makes the limitation applied to you even less fair .
    Oh well, go for it, I think you will be the coolest commuter in Japan. I love my Fulvia in stop and go traffic, very wide power band, awesome engine sound, and I like shifting gears, nothing more boring than automatic transmissions...

Quote Originally Posted by Farben_Kyber View Post
    Thanks for the encouraging response!

To clarify the limit, I'm living/working in Japan temporarily under a special visa agreement, so that's what limits me. Japanese citizens and permanent residents have no restrictions. I have self-imposed a kid limit... can barely keep up with them as it is!

Thread Information