Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Hello from a soon to be 1970 Fulvia 1.3 S2 Owner - Daily Driver?!?

The mechanical pump is better than an electric for reliability, but when the car sits for a few days, the fuel in the carb bowls evaporates and it can take a lot of cranking to prime the bowls.

You can accept the cranking and maintain the mechanical. You can completely replace it with a full-time electric. Or you can plumb an electric in series with the mechanical, only run the electric to prime, and shut it off once running.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks all for the starting and electric pump tips. Unless I can improve cold starting with some tweaks, I’ll look into a pump for starting only. Finally throwing up a picture… Need to go get some pics in Tokyo (not the most fun place to drive though…).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Work Pic.jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Farben_Kyber View Post
    Thanks all for the starting and electric pump tips. Unless I can improve cold starting with some tweaks, I’ll look into a pump for starting only. Finally throwing up a picture… Need to go get some pics in Tokyo (not the most fun place to drive though…).

Looks very nice! Yeah I can imagine driving through Tokyo would be a nightmare. When I was there I traveled exclusively by subway and walking, but I guess any major city's downtown isn't exactly a great place to drive. I do remember one road I was walking up that I thought would make an excellent driving road over in Hakone Yumoto heading toward the Ryokan Fukuzumiro.

By the way, I actually used my electric pump on the car for the first time yesterday and I am very pleased with it's performance. With all the lines full of air, it seemed to only took the pump ~5 seconds to push fuel into the regulator and carbs. With the rubber blocks I used, the pump is barely audible (it can be very loud if you mount directly to metal like I did on my engine stand). And it started with just a rotation or two of the starter

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like you have solved your problems to make that nice Fulvia a daily driver. I have one other idea for you, especially since you are in Japan. A complete Subaru 2.5 L engine and 5 speed transaxle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fullsizeoutput_1e71.jpeg   fullsizeoutput_272b.jpg   123951(1).jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Foxcar View Post
    It looks like you have solved your problems to make that nice Fulvia a daily driver. I have one other idea for you, especially since you are in Japan. A complete Subaru 2.5 L engine and 5 speed transaxle.
    That fits surprisingly well! How much HP are you getting at the wheels with the NA 2.5? Being in Japan, he could go for a JDM 2.0 that have slightly better reliability reputation. But he did just say, "I'm trying to avoid mods as much as possible" lmao

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    That fits surprisingly well! How much HP are you getting at the wheels with the NA 2.5? Being in Japan, he could go for a JDM 2.0 that have slightly better reliability reputation. But he did just say, "I'm trying to avoid mods as much as possible" lmao

Engine is a 2002, EJ25, SOHC, the DOHC 2 L is too wide. It's that tight a fit! I think I'm at about 180 HP. Reliability,
    we did turbo head gaskets, new belts, pulleys, etc. Skimmed the heads to assure flatness and probably picked up some compression. Sport mufflers and K&N style intake also adds some HP. The results are doubling the power to weight ratio. Responsive with EFI in the mountains, and a quiet 3,000 RPM at 70 MPH. What's not to like!

Following your thread is a real treat. Your expertise in all areas amazes me. Enjoy the blue one now that it's done...almost!

Downloads
    Uploads

Engine is a 2002, EJ25, SOHC, the DOHC 2 L is too wide. It's that tight a fit! I think I'm at about 180 HP. Reliability,
    we did turbo head gaskets, new belts, pulleys, etc. Skimmed the heads to assure flatness and probably picked up some compression. Sport mufflers and K&N style intake also adds some HP. The results are doubling the power to weight ratio. Responsive with EFI in the mountains, and a quiet 3,000 RPM at 70 MPH. What's not to like!

Following your thread is a real treat. Your expertise in all areas amazes me. Enjoy the blue one now that it's done...almost!
    The Subaru Fulvia is awesome! Before deciding to go with theFulvia, I was semi-seriously considering a ~70’s Japanese classic such as aCorona, Crown or Celica and swap in a modern engine. Chickened out on that one(wallet wasn’t too interested either). I do like the idea of classic beauty andmodern power There are a lot of nice engines to choose from over here. Maybesomeday…

And Taddraughn: Hakone is my favorite place in Japan! I doplan to make a trip up there in the car once I’m fairly satisfied I’veaddressed any major kinks. It is a great driving road (as long as you don’t getstuck behind a bus)…

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh okay. Not super familiar with all the different EJ variants. I have a 2011 WRX I need to do the timing belt on though so I guess I'll get a little more familiar soon.

Thanks! I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert at anything, but I've definitely learned A LOT doing this project. I'm definitely going to relax after the show and enjoy the car for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Farben_Kyber View Post

And Taddraughn: Hakone is my favorite place in Japan! I doplan to make a trip up there in the car once I’m fairly satisfied I’veaddressed any major kinks. It is a great driving road (as long as you don’t getstuck behind a bus)…
    I went a couple years ago with a friend and we stayed at Fukuzumiro in Hakone for just a night. Super relaxing experience with the river nearby, hot spring baths, and the people coming into your room to serve you food, etc. We were in japan for two weeks and did Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, and Osaka. When I take another trip there I think I'll spend more than a day in Hakone and omit Osaka from the trip. The only reason to go to Osaka that I could find was the sushi place that serves butter eel sushi.

Thread Information