Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Scorpion #621 revival

Thanks Christopher. I saw that video. For reasons soon to be made revealed, I won't be needing to do any repairs on the rear panel. More to come!

tJ

Quote Originally Posted by motoTrooper View Post
    Nice introduction to your car, I am now in Prunedale and am getting closer to towing my Scorpion resto-mod project down from Palo Alto. Would be nice to visit a fellow enthusiast! With regard to your tail light panel, I had to patch mine as well and I outlined my method in my video series if you are curious. (around 7 minutes 30 seconds into the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWglFLmUTw

Best of luck with your project, if you'd like any help or to bounce ideas around give me a shout.

-Christopher

PS -Cool steering wheel you got with that!

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Once I got the top down, I took it off and set it aside. The canvas was shot, so I made a big order from Monte Hospital: blue carpets, everflex roof, bubble top, and miscellaneous bits and bobs. Luckily for me Brexit happened so I got an instant 30% discount due to the value of the GBP dropping against the dollar. One of the things I found out was that the Montecarlo-style turn signals were really hard to find. It took a lot of persistence on eBay before I finally snagged a pair. It came from a guy in the UK who was selling a crap-ton of Beta and Beta Montecarlo parts in a job lot. I spotted a pair of signals in the lot, along with some of the grills I thought I would need for the bumper, so I pulled the trigger and waited a month for the box to arrive. I wasn't disappointed. There were a lot of things I already had, but a lot of stuff I needed. I tucked the un-needed stuff away for a time when I'd need to raise some extra cash to finish this project.

During this time I was getting work done on the car. I managed to strip the interior, removing all of the carpet, the console, and rear package tray. Here is what I was treated with when removing the package tray:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rearshelf.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	738.6 KB 
ID:	15011

The PO is probably still wondering where his umbrella went. The rust, however wasn't a laughing matter. Honestly, it looks a lot worse than it really was. Like all Scorpions and Montes, this one suffered from a leaking rear window, which allowed water to get in, soak the back of the sound deadening material on the rear package tray and lift the rubberized coating. That rust is surface rust, which I was able to scale back with a drill and a wire wheel over several evenings. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. After doing that, I shot it with stop rust to keep the rust at bay. That package tray's backing was compromised, still wet from rains from years ago. I chucked that up in the rafters, knowing I was going to have to rebuild or replace it. Here's another pic of the carnage:

Name:	rearshelf2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	660.7 KB 
ID:	15010

The floors, however, were more concerning than the rear firewall. The passenger had a lot of surface rust, but wasn't terminal. The driver's side, as I suspected, what a complete mess. As I stated before, the captive nuts for the seat rails had come out. This floor would have to be replaced.

Name:	floors.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	563.3 KB 
ID:	15009

tJ

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stopping the rust

I spent another couple of weeks pulling out the center console, the sill plates, door panels, door handles, door trim, side trim and the entire frunk carpet area. Each of these mini projects provided a puzzle for me, but I managed to muddle through them without breaking too many things. Once I cleared the interior, I went to work chiseling away the decomposed sound deadener and rust. Then wire wheeling the area. This took several evenings until I got it to a point I felt that I could use stop rust spray on it to neutralize the rust. As I suspected, the driver's side floor was going to need repairs. The passenger side floor was fine. The rear firewall was fine as well. I sprayed it with stop rust and it didn't look too bad.

tJ

Name:	treated-panels.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	363.0 KB 
ID:	15063

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jedi,

Enjoying your thread thanks for sharing. I've got a Montecarlo in my future, so now I know what I'm in for!

Max

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxfish View Post
    Jedi,

Enjoying your thread thanks for sharing. I've got a Montecarlo in my future, so now I know what I'm in for!

Max
    Thanks! I hope things go easier for you than they have gone for me.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Final bodywork and paint prep

Having removed the interior, exterior trim pieces, and door glass, I turned my attention to the frunk. The carpets had been removed, exposing a pretty awful looking frunk.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 12.01.37 AM.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	413.6 KB 
ID:	15065

It actually wasn't as bad as it looks in the pic. That's all surface rust, which came up with a wire wheel pretty easily. The worst area was the battery box:

Name:	Screen-Shot-2019-09-19-at-12.02.42-AM.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	15068

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 12.06.47 AM.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	262.5 KB 
ID:	15069

I ground all this back as well. Finally, the frunk lid needed help around the vent area. Scorpion/Montecarlo owners all recognize this problem point of these cars...the moisture wicks into the sandwiched vent/grill area and rots out from the inside. Mine was really, really bad.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 12.04.36 AM.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	15071

To add insult to injury, the vents were held in with wire since the tabs had been snapped off years ago. The bright side was that I scored this patch panel for the frunk from a forum member:

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 12.08.10 AM.jpg 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	15070

This is a weld in patch panel from Montehospital.

I finally removed the grill, headlight surrounds and panel. I left the bumpers on as I had intended to have my shop dispose of them once I got the car to their shop.

tJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 12.04.09 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 12.02.42 AM.jpg  

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

The big WAIT

I was finally ready to drive Sofia to my body/paint guy's shop after 6 months. He does great work, but he's SLOW as he always has a project going on. Personal projects (he excels at backdating less-desirable 911s), friends who need a quick fix done, emergency work that has to be done before Car Week in Monterey.

I left the bumpers and lights in place since I was going to drive it down to him. I was going to plop the driver's seat in there with one bolt holding it in place and take my chances...it is a very short drive to his shop. Only the car wouldn't start. Crank, but no go. I had been in the engine compartment unplugging stuff and plugging it back in (correctly, I thought). But nothing I did made the car want to go. So, I decided to burn one of my AAA tows and get it towed to his shop.

The car was delivered to his shop on October 9, 2016. And then it sat. Until I got a call from him on March 29, 2019. Yes. Two and a half years later.

tJ

Name:	tow3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	692.3 KB 
ID:	15076

Name:	tow1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	498.1 KB 
ID:	15078

Name:	tow2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	697.0 KB 
ID:	15077

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fast forward 2-1/2 years...

I got a call on March, 29, 2019 from my body guy. He finally got around to working on the car. It would be done in 2 weeks max. I had that much time to clear out the garage to make room for Sofia. The RX-7 came out of the garage and I did some cleaning. 2 weeks later, when it was done, he was so eager to get Sofia out of his shop, he had it towed to me for free. So when I came home that Friday afternoon, this is what I saw:

Name:	back1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	566.9 KB 
ID:	15088

My friend had gone and seen the car right before it was towed and sent me these pics:

Name:	back4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	472.3 KB 
ID:	15083

Name:	back3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	474.1 KB 
ID:	15084

Name:	back6.jpg 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	15085

Name:	back2.jpg 
Size:	521.5 KB 
ID:	15086

Name:	back5.jpg 
Size:	482.2 KB 
ID:	15087

To say I was doing the happy dance would have been an understatement.

tJ
    Last edited by thinkjedi; 23rd September 2019 at 01:34 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations! Great work so far. So good to see another Scorpion being brought back. Can't wait to see more progress!

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Re: Scorpion #621 revival

I hope you replaced each cowl drain tube (s). Lancia used condom thin rubber cowl
    drains rather than hoses. INSIDE the footwells! Assinine design. They fail, ya got
    rusted out floors. V. common. 3/4" heater hose fit nicely over the cowl nipples.

Thread Information