Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Scorpion #621 revival

I've been lurking on and off in this forum for about 3 years now, and I figure it's time that I came out and let you know what I've been working on. In 2016, I purchased Scorpion #621 from a shop in Brisbane, CA for $2200. It had been sitting for a couple of years. It had been advertised FS in Santa Rose in 2013 and was even written up on Daily Toursimo. The seats had been recovered in blue leather since 2013, but the rest of the car looked pretty much the same when I got it. Sad white paint, surface rust starting to show, and those god-awful Honda bumpers that were retrofitted on the car. I have to hand it to the previous owner...the front bumper almost worked. The rear...not so much. It had an ANSA quad tip exhaust, but also came with the stock exhaust.

The car ran (unbelievably), so I was able to drive it from Brisbane to Palo Alto with one tail light out and long-expired plates. Yeah, I was dumb. But I made it. After my buddy went over the engine to be sure things were OK, he put on the stock exhaust back on and attempted to smog it. It failed twice and finally managed to pass the 3rd time. Barely. Then someone backed into it and smashed the driver's front fender. After dicking with Geico (the culprit's insurance company), I managed to get $2500 to get the fender back into shape.

With smog in hand, he put the fun ANSA exhaust back on and drove it to Monterey and delivered it to me.

Here she is sitting in Brisbane at 8:00 pm, trying to get started. More to come....much more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1773 2.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	14963

tJ

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Scorpion #621 revival

Here she is at home in Seaside.

Name:	l2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	997.6 KB 
ID:	14968

Name:	l1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	783.0 KB 
ID:	14967

Name:	l3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	452.3 KB 
ID:	14969

tJ

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Upon receiving the Scorpion, I went to work identifying issues that would need to be taken care of. Here are some of the things I found:

1 broken air vent:

Name:	airvent.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	647.6 KB 
ID:	14990

1 non-matching, duct-taped door pull/arm rest (driver's side).

Name:	armrest.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	584.2 KB 
ID:	14991

It seems like the center console is missing some kind of trim around the parking brake? I find it hard to believe that the parking brake is so unfinished looking. I've seen people put a boot on the parking brake. I plan on doing that.

Name:	console.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	654.6 KB 
ID:	14992

1 missing frunk release mechanism. My resourceful friend rigged up a janky, but clever solution using a release mech from a Miata. This will be addressed.

Name:	frunkrelease.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	895.3 KB 
ID:	14993

1 disintegrating, glass-less rear view mirror.

Name:	mirror.jpg 
Size:	599.0 KB 
ID:	14994

1 cracked roof trim piece. The eagle-eyed observer will notice also that the roof tang for the latching mech is missing. I could not get this roof to open. You'll see why in a later post.

Name:	rooftrim.jpg 
Size:	455.7 KB 
ID:	14995

1 pretty cool Abarth 3-spoke steering wheel w/steering boss. I'm told this is a desirable setup. I kept the boss and will be putting a nicer wheel on it since the Abarth wheel is very worn. I also planned on getting a factory wheel.

Name:	wheel.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	14996

tJ

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Familiar looking stuff there, down to the blue interior. My interior was pretty trashed when I got my car, and it took me the better part of a year's worth of my free time to get it to look good. Your ajective "disintegrating" describes a few interior bits of my interior as well.

I wrote a fairly lengthy response here the other night and was surprised to see that it didn't post. Your car was on Bring a Trailer (BAT) a couple years back for 2K.

https://bringatrailer.com/2016/01/29/lancia-scorpion/

I've got front & rear bumpers in Eugene, Oregon for you if you're interested...

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chad C. View Post
    Familiar looking stuff there, down to the blue interior. My interior was pretty trashed when I got my car, and it took me the better part of a year's worth of my free time to get it to look good. Your ajective "disintegrating" describes a few interior bits of my interior as well.

I wrote a fairly lengthy response here the other night and was surprised to see that it didn't post. Your car was on Bring a Trailer (BAT) a couple years back for 2K.

https://bringatrailer.com/2016/01/29/lancia-scorpion/

I've got front & rear bumpers in Eugene, Oregon for you if you're interested...
    I knew I saw that car on BAT, but I couldn't find the post. Yeah, that's right before I bought her.

I appreciate the offer of the bumpers. I'd have taken you up on those a month or so after I bought the car, but I've since put on Montecarlo-style bumpers from Midwest Bayless. The pics I'm sharing are from 2016. I'll have plenty more to come, along with pics of it now (and yes, it's still a project).

tJ

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chunks missing from the rear tail light panel. Right side had big chunks missing too. But you can see my spiffy new bumper from Midwest Bayless!

Name:	taillight.jpg 
Size:	567.0 KB 
ID:	14998

The seats had to come out for me to start stripping the car. The passenger seat came out without a lot of drama. The driver's seat was loose when I drove it. I figured it would be easy to get out. Boy was I wrong. I fought with that thing for 4 evenings before I finally got it out. It was only being held in by ONE bolt. The other three were free wheeling, the captive nuts having broken loose from the crumbling floors years ago. I had to cut a hole underneath the car as well as one in the seat shell in order to get that seat out!

Name:	seat.jpg 
Size:	488.2 KB 
ID:	14997

After this ordeal, I went to work on getting the top to open. Another ordeal that I'll detail next.

tJ

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

All a lot of pretty typical stuff there. One note is, be extremely careful trying to replace the rearview mirror. Either in the removing or using wrong glue or method to reattach, often has resulted in a cracked windshield around it. Added that these windshields are becoming quite hard to find. I remember hearing of someone spending $1k for what was purported to be one of that last available in the US a few years back.

The handle releases often break. Some have found ways to repair, at least temporarily. Or
    <http://montehospital.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_ id=1076>
    The parking brake boot was just a divided rubber flap in between the surround, like so
    <http://montehospital.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_ id=80>
    Last edited by LanciaDave; 26th August 2019 at 01:56 AM.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LanciaDave View Post
    All a lot of pretty typical stuff there. One note is, be extremely careful trying to replace the rearview mirror. Either in the removing or using wrong glue or method to reattach, often has resulted in a cracked windshield around it. Added that these windshields are becoming quite hard to find. I remember hearing of someone spending $1k for what was purported to be one of that last available in the US a few years back.

The handle releases often break. Some have found ways to repair, at least temporarily. Or
    <http://montehospital.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_ id=1076>
    The parking brake boot was just a divided rubber flap in between the surround, like so
    <http://montehospital.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_ id=80>
    Yup, I've been lurking here long enough to know that these are pretty standard issues these cars have. As far as the rearview mirror goes, I was planning using a Porsche 914 mirror pad. The mirrors are nearly identical...in fact, I bought one to replace the factory mirror. As far as the parking brake handle goes, I may make my own rubber trim for the console. I've got access to a laser cutter, so I should be able to make a really clean one.

tJ

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Roof saga

So, after a couple of attempts at twisting the roof release inside the car and not getting the expected result, I assumed that the cables had snapped. I went to work removing the handle, which was a puzzle until I found the hidden roll pin that had to be knocked out. After I got the handle off, I was able to determine that, yes, ONE of the cables had snapped. The other one was fine. In fact, the roof release worked on the driver's side. Just not the passenger side. I looked more closely and finally figured out what was going on...the latch was missing on the passenger side. So the PO SCREWED down the top to the sheet metal. No WONDER!

Name:	roof.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	15000

The tang on the roof was also missing.

But, I finally got the roof open!

Name:	roof2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	565.1 KB 
ID:	14999

It was dirty under there, but after a good cleaning, I found no sign of rust! Another call to Midwest Bayless netted me a replacement roof latch mechanism, but unfortunately I didn't realize that the '76 mechanism was different than the '77 mechanism (which is what I got). I packed it away, completely oblivious, for installation after the car was painted. Which didn't happen for quite awhile. I also ordered a replacement everflex roof from Monte Hospital. It would sit for at least a year before I got around to having the trimmer redo the top.

tJ

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice introduction to your car, I am now in Prunedale and am getting closer to towing my Scorpion resto-mod project down from Palo Alto. Would be nice to visit a fellow enthusiast! With regard to your tail light panel, I had to patch mine as well and I outlined my method in my video series if you are curious. (around 7 minutes 30 seconds into the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWglFLmUTw

Best of luck with your project, if you'd like any help or to bounce ideas around give me a shout.

-Christopher

PS -Cool steering wheel you got with that!
    Last edited by motoTrooper; 26th August 2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: clarification

Thread Information